Tiamat - Mount Marilyn

Exquisite, beautiful, powerful...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnAooysKcHs

Agreed. That's a fantastic song...

Benedict Donald
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 7:26 pm 

Rainbow - "Still I'm Sad" from On Stage
I'm a sucker for 70s live albums, especially those with an emphasis on improv and soloing. This classic album is among the best representations of that style

Its version of "Still I'm Sad" is, IMO, one of the highlights of Mr. Dio's majestic career.

Black Sabbath - "Too Late" from Dehumanizer
Dehumanizer seems to grow continually stronger with age. The sound, production, and songs are festering with a heavy energy that's thick as steel. "Too Late" is this album's "hidden" masterpiece, IMO. Dio's phrasing is otherwordly and Tony's solo screams with the exasperation brought forth by the lyrics.

gestapothrash
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 8:00 pm 

Acwelan - Nightmare Blood Ritual/Ritual Aura Sensations

Brutal stuff
Imagine getting pounded on the side of the head with a rather average-sized brick approximately four times a second for a half-hour while a vacuum cleaner is turned to maximum volume in the background. That's Marduk for ya.

My Fukking Wantlist
My Fukking Collection

AxeCapitol
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 8:22 pm 

Tower - Shock to the System

Wow - this album rocks. Mix of 70s and 80s proto metal and speed metal, mixed in with some AOR and brilliant vocals that recall Joplin and Slick. A solid 9/10 for me.

EvergreenSherbert
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 11:30 pm 

Vàli - Skogslandskap

Started trying neofolk, and I love it. This album has more string instruments, stuff like cellos, and I really like that. But what really drew me to this album was the cover art.

Spoiler: show

markhebb
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2021 1:04 am 

Nuclear Assault - Handle With Care

Solid effort but not as good as Game Over

Dungeon_Vic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2021 4:04 am 

Ι actually prefer Handle with Care over Game Over, both stellar albums though and definitely the band's best.

Yossi Sassi feat. Bumblefoot - Palm Dance
Dude from Orphaned Land (well, ex-dude) collabs with one of my favorite musicians ever, Ron "Bumblefoot" Thal in this groovy hijaz shred fest. First and last solos are completely insane.

Velvet Viper - Let Metal Be Your Master Jutta is a goddess, 74 year old and still kicking ass. Great song from her new one.

Vic's Dungeon - Remember the Fallen:
Jeff Hanneman: Evil Notes and Sad Riffs
Chuck Schuldiner (Death)
Paul Baloff (Exodus)
Holy Terror and Keith Deen
Roger Patterson (Atheist)

markhebb
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2021 4:45 am 

Immortal - Battles In The North

Not sure if this is a work of genius or so bad it's good....

LordStenhammar
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2021 4:52 am 

Black Sabbath - Born Again

Well, sometimes BS is full of evil. This song especially.

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2021 6:49 am 

Benedict Donald wrote:
Dehumanizer seems to grow continually stronger with age. The sound, production, and songs are festering with a heavy energy that's thick as steel. "Too Late" is this album's "hidden" masterpiece, IMO. Dio's phrasing is otherwordly and Tony's solo screams with the exasperation brought forth by the lyrics.

Great album!

NP: Root - Leviathan

Interesting mix of thrash, black and death metal (I definitely hear some nods to Leprosy here) with a distinctive sense of melody to it.

Thy Shrine
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2021 7:05 am 

Immolation - Here in After

Yo this is pretty fuckin good actually I've been actually trying to sit down and actually absorb this the past few days, I love the first album and for the longest time this album sounded too loose and not tight to me but I've been discovering there's something interesting about it where it's constantly feels like it's about to fall apart I mean the arrangements but the more you listen it's actually really fucking tight and well structured

I love Dawn of Possession and overall think it has better riffs and is more hellish but this is definitely more interesting it's very good

Perhaps.

Thy Shrine
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2021 7:08 am 

And as an addendum I've been digging the shit out of exhumed of the earth by Paramaecium the past week and that's another album I think requires multiple listens to start to appreciate because at least to me it sounded so plodding and just not structured at first but it's a very good and very heavy album i love the constant grinding sound on that album

Perhaps.

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2021 9:30 am 

Thy Shrine wrote:
And as an addendum I've been digging the shit out of exhumed of the earth by Paramaecium the past week and that's another album I think requires multiple listens to start to appreciate because at least to me it sounded so plodding and just not structured at first but it's a very good and very heavy album i love the constant grinding sound on that album

They were quite interesting but overall I just prefer other doom/death metal bands. Can't beat the guitar tone of the debut though!

NP: Amon Goeth - Circle of Death

More Czech black metal...got to love how they use these razor sharp thrashing riffs in a relatively straightforward manner. You don't even have to be a serious black metal fan to enjoy this stuff.

Metal Shark
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2021 10:19 am 

Humple Pie - Thunderbox (Good ol' Rock N' Roll!)
Ted Nugent - Double Live Gonzo! (Love it! Yes, I know he's a dick, but I love his first 2 records, and like plenty more).
Witch Cross - Fit for Fight (CLASSIC!)
Alice Cooper - Trash (Great!)

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2021 10:48 am 

Iron Savior - Condition Red
Running Wild - Black Hand Inn

Going back to some head-crushing classics. Just straight up rocking out.

Benedict Donald
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2021 11:11 am 

Metal Shark wrote:
Humple Pie - Thunderbox (Good ol' Rock N' Roll!)
Ted Nugent - Double Live Gonzo! (Love it! Yes, I know he's a dick, but I love his first 2 records, and like plenty more).
Witch Cross - Fit for Fight (CLASSIC!)
Alice Cooper - Trash (Great!)

A great list!!

Nugent's albums through the early 80s are all awesome.

LycanthropeMoon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2021 11:35 am 

Slapstick - There's a Metalhead in the Parking Lot

Hell yeah, it's 90s ska-punk time... everyone's favorite genre that definitely isn't polarizing in any way.
Members of this band eventually branched off into several other bands (The Lawrence Arms and Alkaline Trio most notably).

Cosmic_Equilibrium
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2021 12:48 pm 

Benedict Donald wrote:
Rainbow - "Still I'm Sad" from On Stage
I'm a sucker for 70s live albums, especially those with an emphasis on improv and soloing. This classic album is among the best representations of that style

Its version of "Still I'm Sad" is, IMO, one of the highlights of Mr. Dio's majestic career.

Check out Live In Germany 1976 if you like On Stage. Live In Germany is not just the definitive Rainbow live album, it's one of the greatest live albums in history. Blackmore's absolute peak as a musician, leaves Made In Japan in the dust.

Agreed on Dehumanizer; that record gets more powerful and more relevant with time.

AxeCapitol
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2021 1:30 pm 

AxeCapitol wrote:
Tower - Shock to the System

Wow - this album rocks. Mix of 70s and 80s proto metal and speed metal, mixed in with some AOR and brilliant vocals that recall Joplin and Slick. A solid 9/10 for me.

This again. AOTY material here.

Thy Shrine
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2021 1:49 pm 

Not currently listening but I've been really getting hard into Breeding the Spawn way more than I ever was when I was younger, I honestly think It's a better album than Effigy, it's very addicting, it's pure cocaine music lol

But Suffocation are legit so far ahead of most DM bands I'm starting to realize, and the good thing about Breeding is that it's needlessly convoluted and technical, but it's got great songwriting and the riffs still retain that morbid feel that is absolutely vital to DM, I absolutely cannot stomach hearing a death metal band with no morbidity to them and a lot of real technical shit I've heard seems to not have that and it's a Damn shame because I can't think of a better way to be morbid than constantly shifting the music around in the twisted way that Suffo do here.

Perhaps.

LycanthropeMoon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2021 3:24 pm 

Sirenia - Sister Nightfall

Imagine if they'd kept moving in this direction. The debut is easily on the same level as those first few Tristania albums when it comes to gothic metal.

markhebb wrote:
Immortal - Battles In The North

Not sure if this is a work of genius or so bad it's good....

I think it's a great album. Listening to it kinda gives off the feeling of being caught in a blizzard. The chaotic and at times sloppy playing works in its favor as far as I'm concerned.

Deathdoom1992
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2021 8:05 pm 

Opeth - Godhead's Lament

Been on a bit of an Opeth kick lately and goddamn, Mike's cleans on Still Life are absolutely immaculate. I feel like this is where he really started to come into his own as a singer.

Immortal666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2021 9:05 pm 

Mhorgl - Mr. Crowley

Yup, it's a cover of the classic Ozzy Osbourne. It's given the hyper-speed black metal treatment and the result isn't that satisfying. The essence of the original is lost and expectedly, they don't even attempt to replicate the Randy Rhoads guitar solo. Thumbs down for this one.

gestapothrash
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2021 9:48 pm 

Nyogthaeblisz – Abrahamic Godhead Besieged By Adversarial Usurpation

Still a ripper album, hoping Nyog release another one sooner than later
Imagine getting pounded on the side of the head with a rather average-sized brick approximately four times a second for a half-hour while a vacuum cleaner is turned to maximum volume in the background. That's Marduk for ya.

My Fukking Wantlist
My Fukking Collection

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2021 11:17 pm 

Master Spy - Cannibal Island

This thing is fascinating to me... the gaudy but awesome cover art, these unabashedly pulp, ridiculous lyrics (they do the old 'be scared of the cannibal natives' story, and one about a cop fighting a Japanese mafia, etc) and the music is so wonderfully robust and adventurous and bright. Impossible not to enjoy. It coulda been a train wreck. Really works.

Ace_Rimmer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2021 1:20 am 

Smashing Pumpkins - Disarm

"Disarm me with a smile..."

The cut is so earnest.

Xymosys
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2021 6:08 am 

Death - Beyond the unholy grave
Kreator - Tormentor

The combo from hell!

LordStenhammar
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2021 6:30 am 

Jethro Tull - Up to Me

Beautiful song. Has little of that playing by the campfire feel.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2021 9:31 am 

Iron Savior - Protector

The kind of kinetic energy of the guitars and overall writing is exactly what is so great about PM at its best. Pure fucking adrenaline. This was always pretty clearly the band's best album by a lot to me.

forestcorpse
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2021 1:01 pm 

Wolfnacht - Zur Wotanseiche

Just got the vinyl version of the latest album!
Really good album.

Metal_On_The_Ascendant
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2021 1:04 pm 

Floating Points, Pharaoh Sanders & the London Symphony Orchestra - Promises

Well this album definitely sounds like a culmination of some great importance. It is pristine but layered in a way that makes it so easy to get lost into. Ambient and progressive and totally immersive.

forestcorpse
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2021 1:57 pm 

Aktion T4 - When I felt a Voice

Wood of Infinity lives on in this project.
Awesome.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2021 3:10 pm 

David Bowie - "Heroes"

This Berlin trilogy is sure something. Very atmospheric - very arty. Classy as fuck.

~Guest 280883
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2021 3:43 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
David Bowie - "Heroes"

This Berlin trilogy is sure something. Very atmospheric - very arty. Classy as fuck.

While you're on Low and "Heroes", don't forget to check out Iggy Pop's first two albums. These four were all made in quick succession while Iggy and Bowie were living in Berlin and Bowie wrote most of The Idiot and Lust for Life. The former is more Bowie-like, but the latter, while having a reputation of a "rock-out" album, actually has much of the same vibe and is more arty than people sometimes give it credit for. These are Bowie albums as much as they're Iggy albums in a way.

forestcorpse
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2021 3:48 pm 

Hatchie - Not That Kind

Digging this!

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2021 3:49 pm 

Wahn_nhaW wrote:
Empyreal wrote:
David Bowie - "Heroes"

While you're on Low and "Heroes", don't forget to check out Iggy Pop's first two albums. These four were all made in quick succession while Iggy and Bowie were living in Berlin and Bowie wrote most of The Idiot and Lust for Life. The former is more Bowie-like, but the latter, while having a reputation of a "rock-out" album, actually has much of the same vibe and is more arty than people sometimes give it credit for. These are Bowie albums as much as they're Iggy albums in a way.

I really like the second and third Stooges albums (just such fucking dynamite rock and roll, maybe embodying it along with Deep Purple and Van Halen) so yeah I will have to do that.

David Bowie - The Lodger

This one is different than the other two but it's fun. A nice jaunty pop record.

EvergreenSherbert
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2021 4:08 pm 

Drudkh - Autumn Aurora

A lot of people said this was their favorite Drudkh album in this other thread, so I'm giving this one a try.

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2021 4:19 pm 

Sabbat - In Satan We Trust

Black metal rarely sounds this fun.

~Guest 280883
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2021 5:50 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
I really like the second and third Stooges albums (just such fucking dynamite rock and roll, maybe embodying it along with Deep Purple and Van Halen) so yeah I will have to do that.

Just don't expect them to sound like the Stooges. :D

Benedict Donald
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2021 7:06 pm 

Nightingale - Alive Again
Another in a long line of stellar Swano projects. LOVE the tune "Eternal".

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 2572, 2573, 2574, 2575, 2576, 2577, 2578 ... 2914  Next