* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
gasmask_colostomy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2021 8:50 pm 

zeingard wrote:
gasmask_colostomy wrote:
Thus, to "understand" an album is more complicated than just knowing that album well, it depends on the background you have as well. I'm ill-equipped to understand Adele's new album because I have very little knowledge of the area that she works in, and that wouldn't change that much even if I listened to it 100 times over a few months. Give me the new Buckethead, though, and I'll understand it better in a couple of spins because I already have a good grasp of his other material and the sphere in which he operates.

Nah sorry this is wrong. Review whatever you want, in whatever genre you want, in whatever style you want. While I can appreciate the depth and breadth of knowledge a genre fanatic (for lack of a better term) can bring to a review, I find an outsider's opinion and view far more interesting and challenging.

Zeiny, sometimes I think you’re a bit quick to disagree, because what you’ve written below doesn’t contradict what I wrote. I was trying to respond to that question you posed about what it means to “understand” an album, and that’s my conclusion. I just wanted to draw the distinction between an album I would struggle to fully understand and one that I could grasp fairly quickly; I too agree that you don’t have to understand fully to start a review, and that outsider views often bring a new perspective.

I’d write those two reviews differently: I would be in a good position to contextualize Buckethead material but wouldn’t write much about the wider genre or her discography when writing about Adele (tbf I do know other Adele songs, I should have picked something less common). Writing about the album that I understand less, I’d focus more heavily just on the music, go into more depth with the songs, etc. and with the other I’d choose my examples more carefully to back up particular points that came to me from that wider view.

In brief, I agree that you don’t have to completely “understand” an album to review it, but you do have to consider your own and your reader’s understanding to write about it well.
the dismal stench of The Chicken Bone Gallows on the Plains of Mediocre Desolation was unleashed upon the unsuspecting world by the unholy rusty lawnmower molester horde that is Satan's Prenuptial Charcuterie from the endless field of tombs that is Butthill, Alabama

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2021 6:17 am 

zeingard wrote:
colin040 wrote:
I can't help but think that a lack of understanding will often result into a lot of historical revisionism. Think of the guy who wrote that Reign in Blood isn't as influential/extreme when compared to earlier albums.

That review (editor note: I thought we were talking about the ziomaletto review for some reason) doesn't use the word influence (or any conjugation there of) at any point, the writer just states they find other releases more extreme / interesting around the time. The review is an absolute slog to read but it's certainly more interesting than yet another retread on why the album is a classic. Actually most of the negative review acknowledge the album's influence and don't discount it.

I was actually talking about Gas_Snake's pre-edited review. Earlier he wrote that:

Quote:
1. This is not a hallmark of pure sonic brutality, or at least, it is nowhere near as influential purely in that sense as you might think. Of the notable aggressive albums that already existed prior to the time of this album's release, Seven Churches is far more chaotic, Bathory's first two have a bigger emphasis on the expression of absolute black metal filth, and Slayer's very own Hell Awaits (I'm also including the EP Haunting The Chapel for similarities) broke new ground in adding a degree of sophistication to such violent expressions while being a far more influential album in directly inspiring others to follow in its footsteps.

swine_brothers
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2021 3:27 pm 

The problem comes about when you try to contextualize an album that you don't understand. If I were reviewing Death's Infernal Death demo, I understand the music, when it came out, and the developement of death metal. If I were to review an album in a genre I'm not so familiar with, I'd focus on my opinion of the music.

Gas_Snake
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2021 6:32 am 

https://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/ ... erEd/21802

Oh hey TrooperEd did... something?

Wow, this actually reads like a rambling UltraBoris review, but without the enthusiasm. The way he haphazardly omits punctuation in some places gives off that apathetic vibe like "nah na na na naaaaahhhhh". I get that he was a very prolific reviewer and spawned a bunch of imitators, but he made an impact because of how fucking visceral his language got, like you could actually feel him suffering from the immense suckness of something like St.Anger or... whatever the fuck he thought of Master of Puppets on that day, or even how much he loved the things that he loved (riffs riffs RIFFY RIFFS RIIIFFFSSS). This is like a lifeless husk, and he doesn't just fail to get his points across, I have trouble discerning what they even are. Come on, man.
... stop laying the blame on me alone, as next time I see you calling out my name in public just to vent your frustration, as if I were some sort of second coming of Stalin, I might stop being so polite and I might even tell you where to put your Philosophy degree.

EzraBlumenfeld
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2021 10:36 am 

TrooperEd was always one of the most milquetoast writers on this site and I doubt most of us have really paid any mind to his recent lack of output. I can personally think of quite a few long discussions on this very forum that were spawned because Ed pulled some really weak opinion out of his ass and then centered an entire review around it.

BEGRAVEMENT - 'Horrific Illusions Beckon' out now!

gasmask_colostomy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2021 2:36 am 

I often enjoy coming to this forum and finding that the most vocal critics are the guys whose reviews I don't read. (Not especially you two, but this time it is!) The new Troop review isn't all that bad, just sounds like he had a few attention-deficit moments and didn't listen to the record more than 3 times.
the dismal stench of The Chicken Bone Gallows on the Plains of Mediocre Desolation was unleashed upon the unsuspecting world by the unholy rusty lawnmower molester horde that is Satan's Prenuptial Charcuterie from the endless field of tombs that is Butthill, Alabama

Sweetie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2021 2:38 pm 

I sometimes don't listen to something more than 3 times to review it.... In fact 3 itself is about the norm for me.

robotniq
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2021 4:38 am 

Oh cool, a Terminal Death review. You don't see those very often...

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2021 5:57 am 

robotiq wrote:
Oh cool, a Terminal Death review. You don't see those very often...

I thought you had written for that compilation before I saw who had.

Morton Salt
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2021 11:27 am 

https://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/Caveman_Cult/Blood_and_Extinction/946590/TheDean/373363

Anybody else think this review doesn't really make sense? I think the guy kinda missed the boat on calling war metal trendy. 3 or 4 years ago that holds water, but now not so much. If he actually wanted to go after low effort, trendy bands he would have written a negative review for 200 Stab Wounds or Frozen Soul or really any of the bands on Maggot Stomp. But I don't think he would go at them anyway, with statements like "gatekeeping against deathcore has reduced the talent pool in metal today"...lol.

robotniq
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2021 11:28 am 

Yeah I wrote everything I could on that band years ago, good to hear someone else talking about them. Brilliant band.

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 5:20 am 

That new Master Review for Annable Courts...what the hell is that crap?

Quote:
This sounds something like an early US version of old Sepultura with more emphasis on bleakness

:confused:

orphy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 5:59 pm 

Also saying that there's a "grindcore" side to the band because of the political lyrics, like grindcore is the only genre to ever have political lyrics. Another completely off target review by Annable Courts.

Deathdoom1992
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 9:42 pm 

Shoutout to Twisted Psychology for reviewing the Nine Stitches album, even though I was gonna review it for the challenge only to see I now can't. :lol: :lol: I tend to like it a bit more than you but agree the lack of variation really hurts it in the second half. All in all, a fun little obscurity I didn't know anyone else had given the time of day.

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 2:23 pm 

Deathdoom1992 wrote:
Shoutout to Twisted Psychology for reviewing the Nine Stitches album, even though I was gonna review it for the challenge only to see I now can't. :lol: :lol: I tend to like it a bit more than you but agree the lack of variation really hurts it in the second half. All in all, a fun little obscurity I didn't know anyone else had given the time of day.

Thanks! I remember coming across them when I was using the advance search feature to find local and semi-local bands that I didn't know about (I live in the Indianapolis area). I don't know any of the guys from the band but it was interesting to see that there was a band like that. You should still totally review it though, every writeup is good exposure I wager!

Deathdoom1992
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 10:42 pm 

Twisted_Psychology wrote:
Thanks! I remember coming across them when I was using the advance search feature to find local and semi-local bands that I didn't know about (I live in the Indianapolis area). I don't know any of the guys from the band but it was interesting to see that there was a band like that. You should still totally review it though, every writeup is good exposure I wager!

Yeah maybe I will once this challenge is over (in an ideal world I'd like to squeeze in a few more reviews for it but we'll see how much free time I have in the coming days). Would love to get back on the reviewing horse so hope to use some downtime I have over the coming weeks to start up again.

An interesting anecdote you may or may not have found in your searching is that the singer/guitarist was actually in a band with Jeremy Spencer, who went on to become the longtime drummer for Five Finger Death Punch. Those demos, under the name Cornucopia of Death, can be found on YouTube if you're inclined to check them out - I haven't personally, but maybe I'll cover those for the challenge.

Slater922
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 9:14 pm 

Apologize if this is the wrong place to post this, but Derigin, thank you so much for scribing me. I didn't think I would get that privilege when I first joined here, but it's an honor. :beer:

gasmask_colostomy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 9:28 pm 

Slater922 wrote:
Apologize if this is the wrong place to post this, but Derigin, thank you so much for scribing me. I didn't think I would get that privilege when I first joined here, but it's an honor. :beer:

Wow man, congrats! :beer: Being scribed shows your quality and is also convenient, which could be why Derigin chose this week to make it happen. :-P :-P Welcome to the club!

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 11:11 pm 

gasmask_colostomy wrote:
Slater922 wrote:

Wow man, congrats! :beer: Being scribed shows your quality and is also convenient, which could be why Derigin chose this week to make it happen. :-P :-P Welcome to the club!

As his roommate I can definitely vouch for the convenience factor being true haha

gasmask_colostomy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 8:34 pm 

:roll: Sweetie, do you check your inbox on this site?

Sweetie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 10:09 am 

Hardly, lol. But I'll look now.

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 10:14 am 

That new Worm review...god damn. I get that not everyone likes this kind of stuff, but how the reviewer can claim that album lacks identity, consists of nothing but riff stacking (did he ignore the clean guitars or something?) and that the guitar solos resemble metalcore... :lol: Very bad read!

MeavyHetal
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 12:25 pm 

colin040 wrote:
That new Worm review...god damn. I get that not everyone likes this kind of stuff, but how the reviewer can claim that album lacks identity, consists of nothing but riff stacking (did he ignore the clean guitars or something?) and that the guitar solos resemble metalcore... :lol: Very bad read!

Glad I’m not the only one who thought that review was garbage. If the reviewer doesn’t like it then they are certainly entitled to their opinion, but a least make an effort to explain why. No examples from the album are given to back up the claims that were made, and the reviewer spent a good chunk of the review talking about their band photo and them ripping off Thergothon’s logo (am I missing something with that last one?)

CHAIRTHROWER
Methed-burnt rogue babelfish

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 2:10 pm 

Good Lord! Great Fortress review by Hells_Unicorn. (Haha, I've been so caught up building up my gunslinger in Red Dead Online, completely missed the last virgin review challenge!) Totally nailed all the points about the album, to the point where I was going to write it up, but simply, there's nothing left to say about it...

Anyone else heard the new Morgul Blade? It's quite awesome.

Reid
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 2:24 pm 

MeavyHetal wrote:
No examples from the album are given to back up the claims that were made, and the reviewer spent a good chunk of the review talking about their band photo and them ripping off Thergothon’s logo (am I missing something with that last one?)

On the spine of the cassette case (as well as one of the sleeves on the Foreverglade long-sleeve shirt) there's "Foreverglade" written up in the style of Thergothon's logo (I assume as an obvious homage). Definitely a weird thing include in an album review. While I think the album is a bit overrated, no way in hell does it deserve anything close to a *zero* percent.

CHAIRTHROWER
Methed-burnt rogue babelfish

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 3:08 pm 

aidane154 truly hits bullseye with his Pantera_Hell's Cowboys review...I always wondered why this Texan tornado eschewed its true/bluesy metal roots and went the way of the aggro-groove sell-out dynamic, following.

His last paragraph really encapsulates what I feel about both said record and the band:

"This album just has such a vast array of influences which coalesce often in really great ways. Why didn't they do it again? I don't feel betrayed, because this album will always exist to please my hunger for that groove/thrash sound Exhorder pioneered. I just wanted another one, that's all. They didn't reinvent the steel here, but they brought forth the shotguns and the cavalry for sure. Cowboys From Hell is a great album."

Mot!

RapeTheDead
Stoned Jesus

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 4:22 pm 

MeavyHetal wrote:
colin040 wrote:

Glad I’m not the only one who thought that review was garbage. If the reviewer doesn’t like it then they are certainly entitled to their opinion, but a least make an effort to explain why. No examples from the album are given to back up the claims that were made, and the reviewer spent a good chunk of the review talking about their band photo and them ripping off Thergothon’s logo (am I missing something with that last one?)

Haha I literally came here specifically to complain about this review, glad to know I'm not just a fanboy or something. A majority of the criticisms are based on the band's image. Who the fuck cares if they wore gym sorts in a band photo? I only tangentially hear some of the "ripping off" he's referring to, and even if they do take cues from Disembowelment and Evoken, they're subtle nods woven into the band's own fabric. Some more elaboration would have been nice, especially about that Thergothon logo thing...the fuck?

Maybe I'm just feeling personally attacked because I listened to Foreverglade during the apex of a shrooms trip this weekend and it tore my mind a new asshole, but yeah, that sucked. Might have to counter it with a review of my own cuz that's my death/doom AOTY without question, and was even before the trip.

SKYLESS AEONS
SENTIMENT DISSOLVE
HELL IS OTHER PEOPLE

hells_unicorn
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 5:17 pm 

CHAIRTHROWER wrote:
Good Lord! Great Fortress review by Hells_Unicorn. (Haha, I've been so caught up building up my gunslinger in Red Dead Online, completely missed the last virgin review challenge!) Totally nailed all the points about the album, to the point where I was going to write it up, but simply, there's nothing left to say about it...

Thank you O great hurler of sitting implements, Fortress was a pretty interesting listen as far as NWOTHM albums go, it's more like a love letter to the entire old school heavy metal age rather than a tribute to one particular band, though the singer is pretty close to a full on Bruce Dickinson disciple. Variety is always a good thing whenever someone is riding the revival train. I haven't gotten around to the new Morgul Blade yet, but I'll give it a listen ASAP. :wink:
Ominous Glory Facebook

My reviews.

R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio (July 14, 1942 - May 16, 2010)

Last edited by hells_unicorn on Wed Dec 08, 2021 11:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gasmask_colostomy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 10:43 pm 

Salut Chairfrère, thought we had lost you for a wile. Missed your mots!

Sweetie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2021 12:30 am 

I too came to point out that awful Worm review :lol:

gasmask_colostomy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2021 1:03 am 

colin040 wrote:

When the last sentence of the review could be used to describe the review itself…:
“There’s nothing memorable about it, just a mess of confused, stolen ideas.”

orphy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2021 1:19 am 

+1 on that Worm review, definitely rolled my eyes at that. I didn't know sweep arpeggios equated to metalcore solos. This person is clearly butthurt that young people are making music and they don't totally fit their vision of the genre. I don't know if the reviewer was aware, but pretty much all music is just ripped off of other stuff. I thought that Worm album was pretty good, I'm a sucker for anything that has Disembowelment as an influence.

gasmask_colostomy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2021 2:51 am 

Since we're talking about, I figure anyone who liked the Worm album would really dig Fetid Zombie's Transmutations from earlier this year. Same ponderous, atmospheric, lead-soaked death doom with a few heavier eruptions.

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2021 5:14 am 

gasmask_colostomy wrote:
Since we're talking about, I figure anyone who liked the Worm album would really dig Fetid Zombie's Transmutations from earlier this year. Same ponderous, atmospheric, lead-soaked death doom with a few heavier eruptions.

Will give it a try once I'm in the mood for that stuff. Currently in a black metal mood and I also hope to get some more black metal reviews done in the weeks/months ahead. :)

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2021 3:27 pm 

CHAIRTHROWER wrote:

I've gotten a couple listens in and quite enjoyed that! Didn't have enough to say for a full review but it was a pretty high 8/10 on a roundup I wrote for Ghost Cult last week. I'm all for a good blackened heavy metal fusion.

Sweetie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2021 10:47 pm 

gasmask_colostomy wrote:

I didn't even know they put one out. I love Death Covenant

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2021 7:08 pm 

It's cool to see Midnight Odyssey's ambient output from last year get attention, but I really want to know what angle Forever Underground is coming from with him being dissatisfied with the ambient and dungeon synth scene's output at late. Like specific examples. My top 15 albums from last year had like a third being ambient or dungeon synth, one of them being the other Midnight Odyssey album.

Slater922
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2021 7:28 pm 

Wilytank wrote:
It's cool to see Midnight Odyssey's ambient output from last year get attention, but I really want to know what angle Forever Underground is coming from with him being dissatisfied with the ambient and dungeon synth scene's output at late. Like specific examples. My top 15 albums from last year had like a third being ambient or dungeon synth, one of them being the other Midnight Odyssey album.

Agreed. They're easily one of my favorite ambient black metal bands right, with Funerals from the Astral Sphere and Shards of Silver Fade in particular being absolutely stellar.

Forever Underground
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2021 8:11 pm 

Wilytank wrote:

Some examples I can think of would be

Arthuros - Goddess
Druadan Forest - The Loremasters Time (not being pure dungeon synth ambient but with a lot of this element in the music)
Shogun's Castle - The Eight Noble Virtues of a Samurai
Chaucerian Myth - The Canterbury Tales
Thangorodrim - Taur-nu-Fuin

Some of them bore me and the ones that don't seem uncreative or original to me if I compare them with some of my favourite acts of this subgenre like Mistigo Varggoth Darkestra, Mortiis or Jim Kirkwood.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2021 1:51 pm 

Excellent review of that Loudness album by naverhtrad. This is stuff that really goes deep and talks about the true content of what is going on there. I'm not familiar with the band or Japanese politics, but yeah I can see his points quite well.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 469, 470, 471, 472, 473, 474, 475 ... 520  Next