Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
The_Grindcrusher
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 11:21 pm 

Y'know how bands release live DVDs like AC/DCs "Live At Donington", Cannibal Corpse's "Global Evisceration" and Metallica's Seattle '89 show? Well if I was a musician, how would I get something like those filmed and released?

Awblaster
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2021 7:55 am 

Short answer: pay someone to do it.

Long answer: hire people to record audio and video, mix the audio, edit the video, do all the necessary mastering and formatting. Then release it, either with a label or on your own.

It's not that difficult a concept, but being able to pull everything together, have an audience worth filming, and still play a good show on top of that is quite a bit of work.

narsilianshard
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2021 12:02 pm 

It's an entire industry. Any concert DVD you see was filmed by a professional AV company, probably consisting of 3-5 people handling sound and video and charging thousands of dollars for the evening. And that's only for the shoot. Usually there will be a separate sound engineer mixing and mastering the whole thing afterwards. Google "concert video production"

pyratebastard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2021 4:34 pm 

You can do it yourself, though it will definitely be 'do it yourself' quality. If you can get a couple of friends to record the show with their phones (if they have good cameras), you can get multiple angles of everything happening. For sound, you're going to want to record direct off the soundboard so you get the best possible quality. Additionally, you'll want a couple microphones recording the crowd as well, otherwise it will sound very empty. For putting it all together, you'll just have to manually splice which pieces of which video to go over your sound file. It'd be a pain, but doable.

Purveyor of absolute bastardry.

Only_Perception wrote:
I guess most people here are just standard copy pastes more concerned with defending the honor of celebrities than thinking about music.

~Guest 881392
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 7:35 am 

Soundwise this is becoming much easier with digital mixerboards that you can easily tap. The main issue is still filming in good quality and if you want more stuff with movement, people that can do that. With one of the ensembles I work with, we sometimes have 2-3 static cameras recording a concert and then just tap the digital mixing board. Syncing is not much of an issue either, but getting good people for video production is really quite expensive.

AuthorOfWoh
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2022 8:52 pm 

Awblaster wrote:
Short answer: pay someone to do it.

Long answer: hire people to record audio and video, mix the audio, edit the video, do all the necessary mastering and formatting. Then release it, either with a label or on your own.

It's not that difficult a concept, but being able to pull everything together, have an audience worth filming, and still play a good show on top of that is quite a bit of work.

this. the way this is broken down is exactly how I wanna handle it for all my projects.

Reply to topic