* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
markhebb
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 6:17 pm 

HeavenDuff wrote:
raumr wrote:
Black metal is the least racist of all the metal genres.

Bolt Thrower is possibly the most overrated band I've ever listened to.

Clive Burr's drumming was superior to Nicko McBrain's.

The X Factor is better than Piece of Mind.

Cold Lake is nowhere near as bad as people say, and I enjoyed it more than Into the Pandemonium.

St. Anger would be a great album if the song lengths were cut in half. The drum sound was fine.

Seventh Star is a great Black Sabbath album.

Are we just saying dumb shit for the sake of it now? I thought we actually had to have these opinions for real, not just spout random contrarian crap...

Agree about Seventh Star…..but I’ll take a pass on the rest…

Ill-Starred Son
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 6:23 pm 

CreepingDeath16 wrote:
Wilytank wrote:
CreepingDeath16 wrote:

Also, if a band is made a precedent of being voted in, will that turn into a slippery slope?

The mod staff has stated time and time again to not do this.

Look at point 4 at this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=123865

I'm not arguing for it, I was replying to this:
Ill-Starred Son wrote:
I mean, could we have a poll or something like that just to see what the results are of the percentage of the forum that agrees on this, and if we did, would it have any effect on the mods or bearing on their willingness to reconsider them?

Allowing such thing to have an effect would open a floodgate of unnecessary votes.

I can see why it would be problematic.

I've never actually submitted a band to the archives, though there's several I'd like to do it for, so I don't fully understand the process.

But I think BOC is definitely deserving of a 2nd look by the mods.

I guess someone has to go about it following the normal protocol, assuming they give bands 2nd shots.

77hjrttfred
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 6:28 pm 

HeavenDuff wrote:
Are we just saying dumb shit for the sake of it now? I thought we actually had to have these opinions for real, not just spout random contrarian crap...

I don't think his opinions are so far-fetched. I know a lot of people that like Clive Burr's drumming more than Nicko's, myself included. The 'X Factor' seems to be a highly regarded album as you can see from this thread.

I can also see why some people think BT is overrated, even though I like them. I also feel that Metallica's 'St. Anger' would be better if the songs were shorter, although I think the drum sound is terrible.

Even 'Cold lake' has its fans.

Ace_Rimmer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 6:30 pm 

l Lunaris l wrote:

Not sure how much of an unpopular opinion this is here, but Alice in Chains's self titled surpasses every extreme metal album I've listened to in terms of delivering a heavy, oppressively dark atmosphere. It's completely emotionally broken and it's one of the greatest metal albums of all time.

There is more honest emotional devastation on that album than most everything else I've heard. Its the soundtrack to a man who isn't going to be around all that much longer.

Benedict Donald
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 6:45 pm 

Ace_Rimmer wrote:
AIC is metal.

Unquestionably.

~Guest 285196
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 6:58 pm 

HeavenDuff wrote:
raumr wrote:

Cold Lake is nowhere near as bad as people say, and I enjoyed it more than Into the Pandemonium.

St. Anger would be a great album if the song lengths were cut in half. The drum sound was fine.

I can defend each of them in good faith (except the first one). Pick one and let's have a discussion.

interstellar_medium
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 7:21 pm 

I state my unpopular opinions way too often in other threads; and why I'm not _that_ active on these boards, well, it just means I hardly ever share a popular opinion XD

LithoJazzoSphere wrote:
*Tarja was the least interesting Nightwish vocalist

I hope you do check out her solo stuff when it comes out because her vocals have been getting more and more interesting since 2015.

...and she was quite unique for the scene back then in mid-90s. A trope codifier, if you will.

LithoJazzoSphere wrote:
MDL wrote:
....Most symphonic metal fans are creepos...

...thirsty fans who are there for the aesthetics...

"Aesthetics"!! Now that's the hottest take of all.

Hecatomb867
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 7:22 pm 

raumr wrote:
HeavenDuff wrote:
raumr wrote:

I can defend each of them in good faith (except the first one). Pick one and let's have a discussion.

Well I choose the first one, because I'm bored and also genuinely interested to hear whatever ridiculous mental gymnastics you've concocted to think Black Metal, the subgenre where NSBM is a thing, is actually the least racist genre.

HeavenDuff
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 7:27 pm 

raumr wrote:
HeavenDuff wrote:
raumr wrote:

Yeah, didn't think you'd agree to defend the first one.

As for the others, it's not such much that I can't imagine you liking The X Factor, St. Anger or the Seventh Star, but I'm really not fond of the way you phrased some of these. For instance, I can't think of a world where someone would actually think that The X Factor is "better" then Piece of Mind. I don't think you could ever convince me of this, but hey, I wouldn't mind you explaining yourself.

I'm also not fond of the word "overrated" being used to describe Bolt Thrower, not only because they are one of the best death metal band there ever was, but also because overrated means basically nothing. It's just a code word for "I think a lot of people like something more then I personnally enjoy it". Arguing against their impact, importance to death metal, cultural relevance and uniqueness would also be kind of pointless cause I don't think you can ever come up with a valid or compelling argument as to why they wouldn't be as important as they were. As for people not liking Bolt Thrower, I get it. It speaks to a very specific kind of taste in music that is built around simplicity and repetition. This kind of catchy, mid-paced "gets stuck in your head" kind of riffing is something I personnally can't get enough of, but I can understand someone not liking their music. However, like I said, I don't think someone could ever make a compelling argument against Bolt Thrower using words like "overrated" or anything along these lines.

I mean, I understand what people "mean" when they say something is "overrated", but I've always found it to be a point against the fandom more then against the actual music or band themselves. Like, yeah, I get how Tool is "overrated". Their fanbase consists of a good chunk of culturally illiterate people who basically worship MJK and think of his music as the greatest metal music to be made ever, although they can't name prog or metal bands beyond Opeth, Gojira, Tool and Dream Theater. It's true that these fans overrate Tool's music, but again, that's not really an argument on the actual music, it's just an argument relying on a person's perception of a disparity between the quality of the music and the artist's popularity. I personnally don't see much interest in this kind of discussion. But again, yeah, you're welcome to tell me why you think otherwise. I don't think you'll convince me that Bolt Thrower is not good, as I love their music, but you can telle me why you think the word overrated applies to their music.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 7:30 pm 

Hecatomb867 wrote:
Well I choose the first one, because I'm bored and also genuinely interested to hear whatever ridiculous mental gymnastics you've concocted to think Black Metal, the subgenre where NSBM is a thing, is actually the least racist genre.

Yeah, outside of various individual projects like the excellent Zeal and Ardor for BM, it seems weird to proclaim that every metal subgenre is somehow more racist than BM - curious statement.

77hjrttfred
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 7:33 pm 

raumr wrote:

Well, I will even help you defend one. I agree with you that Clive Burr's drumming was superior to McBrain's. You could argue that Nicko was technically a better drummer, but he didn't have the same 'feel' as Burr. Particularly on TNOTB, he brings a lot of life to the songs with those shuffling intros and creative fills.

I find Nicko's drumming a bit mechanical and sterile at times.

As a general point, I don't know why people are getting so triggered. There are plenty of opinions I disagree with on this thread, but I'm not going to run to the corner and start crying or accuse a poster of making shit up. People shouldn't be so precious.

I have no problem with someone dissing my favorite album or group. It's actually a lot of fun reading 'unpopular' opinions that people have. :)

Liquid_Braino
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 7:49 pm 

JP's Point of Entry may not be a great metal album, but I think it's a fun-as-hell fab hard rock album. Love it.

The band Death got progressively worse with each successive album (while becoming more progressively technical). I respect the talent, but I'd love to party with the skull-bros on SBG while TSoP only makes me yawn like that damn mountain.

The best live guitarist is a woman named Saki.

I could never get into anything Mayhem and Burzum ever did, yet I do like Darkthrone's unholy trinity (and it's a trinity...can't stand the vocals on Panzerfaust).

Killers is my favorite Maiden album.

ThStealthK
Indiana Jones

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 7:58 pm 

The word "overrated" is subjective and more so when it comes to bands that are clearly a phenomenon, in this case, Iron Maiden.

Benedict Donald
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 8:02 pm 

Liquid_Braino wrote:
JP's Point of Entry may not be a great metal album, but I think it's a fun-as-hell fab hard rock album. Love it.

The band Death got progressively worse with each successive album (while becoming more progressively technical).

Agreed and agreed!!

LithoJazzoSphere
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 8:06 pm 

Ace_Rimmer wrote:
More BM hot takes by me!

A lot of nu-metal has more metal riffage than a lot of black metal I come across.

Not sure how hot this take is, but I agree, and I'd say the same for some of the cavernous and dissonant death. Some of them might have more riffs than Time Does Not Heal, but it's impossible to tell under all the murk and bog.

interstellar_medium wrote:
LithoJazzoSphere wrote:
*Tarja was the least interesting Nightwish vocalist

I hope you do check out her solo stuff when it comes out because her vocals have been getting more and more interesting since 2015.

...and she was quite unique for the scene back then in mid-90s. A trope codifier, if you will.

I've heard some of her solo material. She's fine, and my favorite Nightwish album is one of her's, Wishmaster. I just think she's one-dimensional, though she's good at what she does. I vastly prefer the power and versatility of Floor, and I've been on an Anette kick lately from her current solo album and revisiting The Dark Element albums recently.

Ill-Starred Son
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 8:16 pm 

ThStealthK wrote:
The word "overrated" is subjective and more so when it comes to bands that are clearly a phenomenon, in this case, Iron Maiden.

Yeah, I've always disliked the word "overrated" when it comes to any kind of art because art is subjective so "rating" really doesn't make sense.

It's more something I'd use where you can actually verify skill level. For example, I'm an MMA fan so you could say that you think a particular fighter is "overrated" because his record isn't that good or his opponents weren't that good, his skill set, etc., but saying it about music or really any kind of art doesn't make sense to me.

Ill-Starred Son
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 8:21 pm 

This might be an unpopular opinion if I was sure about it, although I'm not set in stone on it, but I think that both Scream Bloody Gore and Leprosy MIGHT be thrash or more likely thrash/death i.e. thrash on its way towards evolving into death metal rather than actual death metal.

I definitely think Spiritual Healing was straight up death metal but before that they weren't THAT different from some of the heavier thrash bands, just like Possessed, Kreator, Sodom, Destruction, etc.

I still feel that in terms of early heavy death metal bands, the ones that stand out the most are Necrophagia, Master on their unreleased 1985 demo, and to some extent, early Sepultura (also Repulsion as a mix of grind and death, despite being more grind than death.)

If it was all about who released the heaviest death metal the earliest, then death wouldn't IMO be so widely considered to be the first death metal band, and there were certainly other death metal bands just as early.

Last edited by Ill-Starred Son on Fri Dec 03, 2021 8:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
tahu157
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 8:21 pm 

Sabaton's jaunty, upbeat style of power metal is in no way disrespectful to the topic of war.

GratefulDeadInside
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 12:14 am 

I do not like "Chuck Schuldiner-style" riffing.

oldmetalhead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 12:22 am 

Cowboys From Hell is Pantera's best album. There are better songs on their later releases and arguably on the album before but CFH defined them and a whole new style of metal. No denying that.

FullOfHatred1994
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 4:51 am 

Astral Sleep is Tiamat's best album, followed by Clouds (i used to think this album was boring few years ago, but changed my mind). Wildhoney is also good, but quite overrated compared to previous albums.

Abject Offerings > Final Holocaust (by quite narrow margin, but stiil). Coming from Massacra fan, however i feel Mercyless' debut was better, due significantly better drumming.

Last edited by FullOfHatred1994 on Sat Dec 04, 2021 6:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
InnesI
The Goat Fucker

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 4:59 am 

HeavenDuff wrote:
As for the others, it's not such much that I can't imagine you liking The X Factor, St. Anger or the Seventh Star, but I'm really not fond of the way you phrased some of these. For instance, I can't think of a world where someone would actually think that The X Factor is "better" then Piece of Mind. I don't think you could ever convince me of this, but hey, I wouldn't mind you explaining yourself.

This was not directed at me but The X-Factor is my favourite Iron Maiden album so I thought I'd chime in. It's not that I don't like the other albums but to me The X-Factor represents something that is much closer to my temperament. This is the first time we saw the band go a more progressive route and it's way more dark and melancholic than anything before or since. Blaze also fits the music superbly on this specific release. His deeper voice really gives weight to the darker lyrical content. And with all this said it doesn't compromise on great melodies and hooks though this time with melancholy always following in it's footsteps (while prior releases often wandered into the happy territory with the melodies).

I think threads like these do draw in contrarian trolls who just want to be heard but I also think many dismiss others unpopular opinions because they think they are trolls (as we've seen a few times in this thread already). It goes both ways.
I've also been called a satanist, communist, right wing, nazi-apologist, conservative dipshit, muslim (lover), PC, feminist, neoliberal, boot licker, verbal masturbator and an eternal low-key fascist enabler! Please add your projection too.
Ad hominem

Milo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 6:01 am 

"Nord..." is superior to "In the Nightside Eclipse", and it's also the best black metal album of the 1990s.

joppek
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 6:15 am 

Sunioj_Paul wrote:
Judas Priest are so cheesy they are unlistenable to me.

i can sort of understand this about painkiller and stuff, but have you tried giving their earlier albums a chance? sad wings and stained class in particular

DoomMetalAlchemist
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 6:36 am 

The Achilles suite by Manowar is mostly great... The only parts I would cut are the bass solo once the keys cut out (the bass solo with the keys backing can stay), and the drum solo.

Forbidden is a pretty decent album, and Illusion of Power is its best song.

Never Say Die is awesome.

Cross Purposes is the best Tony Martin Sabbath album.

Black Hole is better than Paul Chain.

Legend's s/t is much better than Death in the Nursery.

Walls of Jericho isn't very good, it's way too samey. Keeper II is infinitely inferior to Keeper I.

Lulu's not THAT bad and is better than St. Anger.

Quote:
Black Sabbath is far more intelligent and interesting lyrically than pretty much every other metal band

Only Geezer can make songs about masturbation and loving cocaine sound beautiful and poetic. :)

Quote:
Cathedral were the band who above all others got closest to the spirit of Sabbath in their work. Gaz Jennings was and still is the true heir to Iommi's crown

I see your point, but to me, the two albums that most captured the spirit of Sabbath are Sleep's Holy Mountain and Pentagram's Day of Reckoning.

Quote:
Come My Fanatics is the best Electric Wizard album, by far. And Let Us Prey is very underrated

I have no problem with this, Come My Fanatics is my 2nd fav, s/t is my fav. Talk about underrated.

joppek wrote:
Sunioj_Paul wrote:
Judas Priest are so cheesy they are unlistenable to me.

i can sort of understand this about painkiller and stuff, but have you tried giving their earlier albums a chance? sad wings and stained class in particular

Completely agree with joppek here, but add in Sin After Sin as well.

interstellar_medium
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 7:20 am 

LithoJazzoSphere wrote:
I've heard some of her solo material. She's fine, and my favorite Nightwish album is one of her's, Wishmaster. I just think she's one-dimensional

Then you likely haven't heard enough of her solo work. She may not be doing harsh vocals like Floor, but she's got a great variety of clean tones now. I'd say, you gotta check out her live stuff; it's where she shines.

And you haven't defended your "aesthetics" take ;P What's so "aesthetic" about objectifying female singers?

DoomMetalAlchemist
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 7:38 am 

St. Anger is horrible for several reasons but the drum sound is not one of them.

InnesI
The Goat Fucker

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 7:52 am 

DoomMetalAlchemist wrote:
The Achilles suite by Manowar is mostly great... The only parts I would cut are the bass solo once the keys cut out (the bass solo with the keys backing can stay), and the drum solo.

I agree. I made my own version of that song cutting out the bass solo and most of the drum solo. While it was done in a clunky manner I still prefer my own version of the song. The rest of it is pretty amazing.
I've also been called a satanist, communist, right wing, nazi-apologist, conservative dipshit, muslim (lover), PC, feminist, neoliberal, boot licker, verbal masturbator and an eternal low-key fascist enabler! Please add your projection too.
Ad hominem

LithoJazzoSphere
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 8:20 am 

oldmetalhead wrote:
Cowboys From Hell is Pantera's best album. There are better songs on their later releases and arguably on the album before but CFH defined them and a whole new style of metal. No denying that.

Is that unpopular? It's definitely my favorite of theirs, and I've heard others agree, though I don't know if it's the majority here.

LithoJazzoSphere wrote:
I've heard some of her solo material. She's fine, and my favorite Nightwish album is one of her's, Wishmaster. I just think she's one-dimensional

Then you likely haven't heard enough of her solo work. She may not be doing harsh vocals like Floor, but she's got a great variety of clean tones now. I'd say, you gotta check out her live stuff; it's where she shines.

Which album do you recommend?

And you haven't defended your "aesthetics" take ;P What's so "aesthetic" about objectifying female singers?

It was in reply to someone else noting that symphonic metal draws in a lot of creepy fans. It's just a roundabout way of noting that I've observed the same, though it's less common for it to be as obnoxiously obvious as it was in the 00s. It's kind of a landmine though, because I get the impression some of them actually want to be/like to be objectified. It's their choice I guess, but too much of it becomes distracting and redolent of other genres and artists where the music itself seems a secondary concern.

~Guest 1413143
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 9:42 am 

Spiner202 wrote:
Ripper is great - Experiment of Existence is one of the best modern thrash albums! The bass playing is off the charts, and I think they're a lot more creative in general than similar sounding bands. I've checked out Inculter before but it didn't stick.

In general, I'm not a huge fan of the sloppy black/thrash bands that most people say are the better modern thrash bands - they have the same problems I have with a lot of death and black metal bands, which is that most bands don't really write songs anymore.

I love Ripper too. Hope they will soon show up with a new one. Chile is besides greek the most promising metal country (that isnt sweden, norway and bla....) For inculter: I find your critic interesting; because in fact what bothers me about many modern metal bands is exactly what you mention; that they don't write really good songs. Inculter are, in my opinion, skilled songwriters; The music doesn't focus on sheer heaviness, sounding "evil" or technique or anything like that. (at least on fatal vision) I would say they write "little hits". Good Metal songs somewhere between schizo-sepultura and nekromantheon - it could have been released 1989 but nevertheless doesnt feel super retro and vintage (what i often find annoying - nothing against the past, but how long will bands try to reanact it?)

Unpopular opinions:
Sick of Massacra is awesome; not a "groove album" but a timelessly good metal album that could please anyone who also likes Carcass after Symphonies, Metallica from "ride" on or the first annihilator.

The haunted - debut ist the only the haunted album that is really great

CreepingDeath16
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 9:56 am 

tahu157 wrote:
Sabaton's jaunty, upbeat style of power metal is in no way disrespectful to the topic of war.

It is disrespectful to the concept of metal and music in general, though.

jimbies
Noose Springsteen

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 10:42 am 

Here's another one:

Dani Filth is iconic. One of the best vocalists in metal history.

MetalVermont
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 10:54 am 

InnesI wrote:
HeavenDuff wrote:

This was not directed at me but The X-Factor is my favourite Iron Maiden album so I thought I'd chime in. It's not that I don't like the other albums but to me The X-Factor represents something that is much closer to my temperament. This is the first time we saw the band go a more progressive route and it's way more dark and melancholic than anything before or since. Blaze also fits the music superbly on this specific release. His deeper voice really gives weight to the darker lyrical content. And with all this said it doesn't compromise on great melodies and hooks though this time with melancholy always following in it's footsteps (while prior releases often wandered into the happy territory with the melodies).

I think threads like these do draw in contrarian trolls who just want to be heard but I also think many dismiss others unpopular opinions because they think they are trolls (as we've seen a few times in this thread already). It goes both ways.

Um, no. Maiden was getting progressive with SiT and SSoaSS, WAY before X-Factor.

ThStealthK
Indiana Jones

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 10:56 am 

Spiritual Black Dimensions is the only flawless Dimmu Borgir album.

Ulcerate played tech death until their first album. So continuing to believe that they are still tech death is like believing that a Siberian husky looks like a Gray wolf.

Death surpassed Judas Priest so much on the Painkiller cover that hardly anyone yet accepts this fact.

King Diamond is a better vocalist than Bruce Dickinson. Apart from being more authentic, unique and conceptual.

There are no bad albums, only failed albums.

PS: These are my unpopular opinions, not unpopular opinions found out there.

HeavenDuff
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 11:01 am 

InnesI wrote:

Well, if people present their "unpopular opinions" in bullet points form without providing explanations as to why they believe these things, it sure comes off as contrarian trolling.

These threads also always make me try to evaluate if I have any of these "unpopular opinions", but I rarely do. I do love some very underground records and rank them higher then others do, but liking underground stuff isn't an "unpopular opinion", not among metalheads anyway.

One opinion I have that is kind of unpopular is that, out of Megadeth's first three records, only Peace Sells is really solid. The other two are good enough, but nothing outstanding. In the Megadeth versus Metallica battle, Metallica wins the 80's hands down. Megadeth's finest moment was definitely Rust In Peace (not an unpopular opinion), but I think Countdown to Extinction was also extremely solid and maybe top 3 best Megadeth albums material (unpopular opinion?)

DoomMetalAlchemist
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 11:06 am 

The above post reminded me.... Killing is My Business fucking SUCKS. It sounds like a demo recorded by the band while they were on too many drugs to play competently. The leap in quality they made in one album/year to Peace Sells is fucking MASSIVE.

HeavenDuff
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 11:09 am 

ThStealthK wrote:
Ulcerate played tech death until their first album. So continuing to believe that they are still tech death is like believing that a Siberian husky looks like a Gray wolf.

I personnally don't understand why Ulcerate is not categorized as black death metal. They have a ton of black metal elements all over their tracks, especially on their latest. I'm not just talking atmosphere and tone, I'm talking very obviously black metal riffing too.

ThStealthK wrote:
Death surpassed Judas Priest so much on the Painkiller cover that hardly anyone yet accepts this fact.

I'm always a little iffy with calling a cover superior to the original, but Death's cover of Painkiller is as good as covers get. Maybe the general disliking of The Sound of Perseverance by long time Death fans had an impact on how this cover was appreciated, but I agree that it's a colossal cover.

If there is a cover that I'm willing to call superior to the original, it's Decapitated's cover of Mandatory Suicide (originally by Slayer). This might get me some hate in here, haha! But I actually like the fact that they play it a little faster, heavier and the drums are just amazing with Vitek's double-kicks.

thePowermetalLynx
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 11:15 am 

Spiner202 wrote:
Another unpopular opinion, or more accurately, a complaint: I think death and black metal have led to the influx of a lot of fans who just don't enjoy metal the same way I do. I like death metal a lot, and black metal to a much lesser extent, but thrash metal has been completely dismissed over the last 10 years by a ton of metal fans. Great bands like Laceration, Schizophrenia (wait for the album; it's not like the EP), Enforced, and even Black Fast have felt the need to make their sound more extreme and less thrashy because that's what fans want from them. Meanwhile, power metal falls further from relevancy because there aren't even as many people willing to give it a shot anymore. Trad holds strong to some extent, but people just listen to USPM bands and classic trad bands (never their new stuff, even when it's great) and call it a day there.

Why else do you think I promote power metal on my Netease account? I’m just sad that there are no power metal fans in the newer generation, being always the youngest in every group chat sorta sucks. I could count with one hand the diehard power metal fans I know here in China, and USPM and trad metal are getting even less exposure...

Old School is the only School

Consistency is a Virtue
Repetition is a Sin

Call me Shirley or Lynxie

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 11:17 am 

There's a shitload of amazing melodic metal that usually only gets niche attention while most fans of the genre talk about awful stuff like Sabaton or Beast in Black. This is how it goes I guess.

thePowermetalLynx
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 11:21 am 

tahu157 wrote:

My main problem with them is just that they’re repetitive till the point they became boring af

Old School is the only School

Consistency is a Virtue
Repetition is a Sin

Call me Shirley or Lynxie

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 221  Next