Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
BuriedUnborn
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 6:18 am 

Some days ago I woke up to the news that Gonzalo Espejo, drummer for Plan 4, had passed away. This hit me like a brick to the face, I had just seen these guys live a little over a month ago, I gave the dude a handshake, and I have an older photo with him and the rest of the band. The few moments I got to share with him, he was such a cool dude, and on stage he was a beast and a showman. Plan 4 is probably one of my favorite bands, and I still can't believe he just passed away so suddenly, and it saddens me I'll never get to see him blasting his soul away live.

Most people here are likely older than me, I guess you all had to wake up one day to the news that your idol had passed away. Personally, this is the first time I see someone I practically idolized pass away. It's an odd feeling. I guess someone else can relate?

Moshing: Dancing like a madman, perpetrating a frantic and violent dance which consists in jumping and whipping your body against other brainless idiots until you enter an irrational and brutal pyramid of pleasure.

Lagartija
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 6:43 am 

I was gutted that Dio died without having had a chance to catch him live, as well as the metal world losing such an icon. Lemmy was also a big bummer, but the guy was pretty knackered towards the end and it was very impressive that he continued writing and performing until the very last moment. Total respect.

LordStenhammar
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 7:42 am 

I'm not usually moved by musicians' deaths that much, other than being sad that they are not able to release more music anymore. Of course, if a good person dies that's always sad.

Quorthon dying was one thing though. That man died much too early. Didn't seem fair in any way. I was still expecting more godly Viking metal from him. Peter Steele too. Type O probably still had more albums in them. Made me listen to October Rust (and some others) a hundred times.

On_Stranger_Tides
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 7:57 am 

The only time in recent memory I can recall being affected by a musicians death was when Mark Shelton passed a few years ago. Manilla Road has been one the most instrumental groups in my journey through heavy metal. Dig his music and respect his passion and vision in the utmost.

~Guest 280883
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 8:47 am 

Sean Malone and Sean Reinert were probably the most difficult for me to process. They recorded some of my favorite music, their deaths very relatively close together and the way they both died is just unfathomably sad to me.

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 10:30 am 

I'm older, and friends and family are dying now from old age and sickness. Someone dying that I had no relations with other then them playing on an album I own doesn't move me much.

BleedingMoon
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 1:20 pm 

I can't say any of the musicians I listen to are idols per se but it's going to be a big part of my life gone when the guys in Maiden, Priest, Guns n Roses, Ozzy etc start dying off, as their music has been in my life since was a literal kid.

A lot of them I just see it and I'm surprised as I wasn't expecting it. Even with people like Alexi Laiho, where the writing is kind of on the wall, it's still a surprise when it happens. Joey Jordison, that one came out of the blue.

From_Wisdom_To_Mabt
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 3:30 pm 

I've never cried, but there have been musicians that die, where I just think about it ever so often, and go "fuck...this really fucking sucks." When Peter Steele died, that one took a lot of getting used to. When Dimebag was murdered, even though I'm not a huge Pantera fan, that was pretty unbelievable. Alexi Laiho is the most recent death where it took time to wrap my head around it. When they're old, it doesn't really matter as much. Dio dying was sad, but he was old and suffering from cancer. But when they're young, especially with a long life and promising career ahead, it can be a tough pill to swallow. The Quorthon's, the Valfar's, the David Gold's...such a shame.

draconiondevil
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 5:35 pm 

Lemmy was the one for me. I knew he was in poor health but as a huge Motörhead fan and having never had the chance to see them live this actually affected me for a few months afterwards.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 5:42 pm 

I mean I don't know them for the most part, so there's a bit of a disconnect - but guys like Mark Shelton, Mike Howe, Dio, Lemmy, etc did make music that affected me, so it really sucked to see them go.

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 5:44 pm 

Mike Howe's death did suck, because it was suicide. That tends to get me. Especially since he said he was fighting it and kept going for his kids. Must've been horrible.

interstellar_medium
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 9:24 pm 

Opus wrote:
Mike Howe's death did suck, because it was suicide. That tends to get me. Especially since he said he was fighting it and kept going for his kids. Must've been horrible.

Do you happen to remember where he said it specifically? I somehow never read/heard him talk about his mental health - but I did suspect this sort of stuff was why he'd quit the music biz back then. When he returned, though, he seemed fully stable and happy, which I found extremely inspiring (still dealing with suicidal ideation myself).

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 9:59 pm 

interstellar_medium wrote:
Do you happen to remember where he said it specifically?

Sweden Rock Magazine. I'll look it up later.

jimbies
Noose Springsteen

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 11:13 pm 

Dio's passing rocked me a bit. Clarence Clemons (from Springsteen's E Street Band) absolutely gutted me.

For all the amazing progress I've made with my mental health in the last year, I am STILL not prepared for something to happen to anyone from Metallica or The E Street Band.

Thexhumed
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 12:31 am 

Some days I still can't believe Andre Matos actually died

Ace_Rimmer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 3:28 pm 

I'll have a drink in the memory of music that I liked and probably spin an album if I don't listen to them regularly but that is pretty much it. It doesn't make me sad per say or get me down.

CannibalCorpse
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 4:41 pm 

Opus wrote:

Do you happen to remember where he said it specifically? I somehow never read/heard him talk about his mental health - but I did suspect this sort of stuff was why he'd quit the music biz back then. When he returned, though, he seemed fully stable and happy, which I found extremely inspiring (still dealing with suicidal ideation myself).

I really (also) didn't know ANY fucking thing about his mental state. He always seemed to be one of the most genuinely nicest persons to be around with, fans going all crazy about how fun he was.

Still not fully over it, something I haven't felt since Dio and Petrus Steele.

Adder's Fork - These Mountains Cast Great Shadows - NEW!
Adder's Fork + Dea Artio/In Dornen/Winter's Breath - A Gathering of Four - Split - NEW!
Adder's Fork - Website
Reviewer for Antichrist Magazine

Kaleva
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 4:53 pm 

Despite his age, I felt devastated when Johnny Cash passed away.

I tend to stick to the music and keep the artist away since usually I'm not interested on the figure itself. It shocks me in general those with a big mediatic repercussion in the sense of realizing how fragile we are, even for people who have achieved big things in their lives. However I do feel closer to writers and re-read a few pages of their work to keep his memory alive somehow.

interstellar_medium
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 5:15 pm 

Opus wrote:
Do you happen to remember where he said it specifically?

Sweden Rock Magazine. I'll look it up later.

Thank you

~Guest 285196
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 5:19 pm 

When the vocalist of Linkin Park, Chester Bennington, committed suicide it really affected me. I didn't cry or anything, but it felt like I lost someone I knew. I was one of those angsty teens listening to Linkin Park in the mid 00s, and I had watched tons of interviews and documentaries about him. The song "One More Light" became suddenly very real in its meaning.

hells_unicorn
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 6:10 pm 

Dio passing was probably the one that affected me the most, his work with Sabbath and his subsequent solo albums formed my identity as a metal head and a musician in high school during the 90s, at a time when it was naturally out of fashion to be the former. I managed to catch him live 3 times, twice in Pittsburgh and once in Philadelphia, probably the most larger than life stage presence to ever exist coupled with the humblest person when it became time to meet the fans. He had a longer life than Peter Steele, Alexi Laiho and Lars Ratz, all of whom I also greatly admired, yet I still think that Ronnie had enough in him for a few more years of touring and recording.

As far as some others that were not previously mentioned, I remember the day I heard of Cozy Powell dying in that tragic car accident. His was the first artist's death to deeply affect me, as I had just gotten heavily into the work he did with Rainbow and Black Sabbath, and just a couple weeks prior had procured a copy of Malmsteen's Facing The Animal. Another that probably isn't held in high regard in many circles is former Warrant front man Jani Lane. Despite me being pretty lukewarm towards the lighter end of the Sunset Strip scene, he always came across as genuinely interested in honing his talents as a songwriter, and I particularly found his work following Cherry Pie to be pretty compelling. I think in his case, I felt bad for him because he was the subject of so much undeserved hatred for simply writing a goofy sex song at the behest of their label, the sort of goofy songs that Aerosmith were able to make bank off of for years afterwards no less.
Ominous Glory Facebook

My reviews.

R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio (July 14, 1942 - May 16, 2010)

BodomSlayer
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 7:55 pm 

Alexi Laiho was a difficult one for me. Children of Bodom were the band that got me into metal beyond Metallica. Thankfully we had the 3 song Bodom After Midnight release. Last year was a tough year for me on a personal level, that little EP made a huge impact on me getting through the first part of the year.

AxeCapitol
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 8:36 pm 

Pete Steele for me. But he wasn’t just an music idol for me. He was a friend who i grew to know on a personal level. Guy battled lots of demons but was an outstanding person both on and off the stage and had a real genuine heart. Miss him daily.

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 8:45 pm 

Dave Brockie. He was a true mad genius, putting more thought into low brow hijinks than some do their thesis papers.

darkeningday wrote:
I haven't saw any of the Seen movies.

cultofkraken
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 11:38 pm 

LG Petrov for me. I’m still feeling it. He was so iconic to me, fronting one of the most if not the most legendary Swedish Death Metal band of all time. He was part of one of the greatest albums of all time. He was a huge influence on my taste and what would shape my outlook from my young teenage years. I always wanted to see him live and cancer made sure that could never happen. The last video I saw of him where he broke down crying was the saddest most disheartening thing I’ve seen in a long long time.

FLIPPITYFLOOP
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 12:22 am 

Neil Peart was one of the rougher ones for me, and it's still hard to believe he's actually gone. I remember getting choked up listening to Subdivisions, and was telling my therapist how the lyrics of that one always resonated with me because it was sort of describing ME growing up as a kid and adolescent. I saw Rush during the Clockwork Angels tour (they fucking ruled) and was blown away that they opened the set with it. I would've loved to have met Neil to tell him what that song means to me, and it makes me sad that I won't get to. I guess I'll have to meet Geddy and Alex instead and tell them - I fucking live in Toronto, damn it, it's gotta happen at some point!

Sean Reinert and Sean Malone were shockers too. Both seemed like great people, and I remember particularly that when Sean Malone died, while I felt bummed about it of course, I also felt a ton of sadness for Paul Masvidal. I know there was some tension in the Cynic camp before that, but to lose both of your comrades in a year, during 20-fucking-20... my heart broke for him.

Joey Jordison and Dusty Hill were tough ones for me too. Both of their music were big parts of my growing up, and not only were they so close but they were both so unexpected.

I was also very surprised when Gregg Allman passed - didn't even know he was sick. But my dad's a massive Allman Brothers fan and I grew up having their records played to me a ton. Gregg's voice is one of the reasons why I love scruffier singing voices, and The Allman Brothers are a huge part of me loving the inclusion of americana and North American folk in metal (to me at least, it's not totally outrageous to see how their music led to me loving bands like Agalloch). Songs like "Soulshine" and "Old Before My Time" still hit me pretty hard. Partially because they're just beautiful songs, but also because I remember that I'm now hearing a voice that's from the past, and those were 2 of his best vocal performances in my humble opinion. Actually getting choked up right now.

Dio and Lemmy weren't surprising for me, but it's still crazy to think that they're actually gone. I wanted to see Motorhead badly when I was younger, but I was underage, and by time I actually was old enough they weren't coming around all that much anymore. Missed out on that one.

I also wasn't surprised about Malcom Young. While AC/DC were my favourite band as a kid, I remember feeling that when Malcom passed, at least he was at peace now - dementia and the idea of slowly losing your mind is one of my biggest fears, so I felt that at least he wasn't suffering anymore.

I wasn't deep into metal when Valfar or Quorthon passed, but those are definitely guys I wish were still around. David Gold's death was a shocker too. I never knew the guy, but apparently he was a phenomenal dude and SO MANY people in the Ontario metal scene knew him, to the point where his death was like a shockwave throughout the whole province. Still some having a hard time dealing with the fact that he's gone, and lots are still reminiscing.

FLIPPITYFLOOP
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 12:24 am 

jimbies wrote:
For all the amazing progress I've made with my mental health in the last year, I am STILL not prepared for something to happen to anyone from Metallica or The E Street Band.

There are a few specific bands/artists I feel that way about too, though I'm almost scared to mention them out of fear of jinxing it.

traxan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 2:33 am 

Neil Peart was the killer for me. He was my childhood hero who made me want to play drums. I knew something was wrong because he suddenly stopped updating his website. Just a dead stop, and he loved writing updates. He stopped in summer 2016, which according to Rolling Stone is when he got the news.

Beyond the selfishness I felt -- I skipped the 2015 tour because I didn't take the retirement talk serious. He'd been saying it for years. Now I'd never see them again -- I also felt bad because he left behind an 11 yo daughter.

Lemmy... I know this will sound awful but in a way I was glad it was over. I saw live videos from that fall tour and he looked dreadful. And again I was an idiot, because I lived in Los Angeles and never went to the Rainbow to see him.

Warrel Dane and Alexi Laiho were not surprises. I'll just leave it at that.

The toughest was Tim Calvert, since we'd been exchanging emails for a few years. Knowing the ALS would rob him of the ability to type, I decided to send a goodbye and thanks for the friendship letter in January 18 (he died in April). That was not a fun email to write. So when the news came it wasn't a shock, just inevitable.

traxan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 3:20 am 

BTW if the rumors are true, Aerosmith fans better brace themselves. Word is Joe Perry and Tom Hamilton are in real bad shape and it is unlikely Aerosmith will ever perform again

asphaalanx
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 3:35 am 

The passing of those that make the music I love always hit me, but the one that hit most was Terry Jones. I never met the man personally, but we had a lot of great exchanges online. He had a way of letting you know that once you were in his life, you were in his life. His passing affected me, and I'll always treasure the Pagan Altar memorabilia he was kind enough to send to me.

mirons
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 6:17 am 

I am one of those cold hearted bastards who doesn't feel affected much by persons I don't personally know or am not close with dying. I also don't think there is music that would have played such a deep emotional role to me that I would feel close to the artist behind it.

That said, Dio and Lemmy dying were sad moments for me, even though they came as a surprise to no one. I suppose in these cases it's that these deaths are like symbols of an end of an era.

Last edited by mirons on Tue Jan 18, 2022 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheLoneForest
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 8:16 am 

Neil's death was the only one where I actually wept and really cared about

Ace_Rimmer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 1:51 pm 

traxan wrote:
Lemmy... I know this will sound awful but in a way I was glad it was over. I saw live videos from that fall tour and he looked dreadful. And again I was an idiot, because I lived in Los Angeles and never went to the Rainbow to see him.

I caught a rescheduled show a couple months before he passed and honestly it was sad to watch. He was a statue, barely audible, and there was no energy at all in the building. We were watching a man soon to be dead and it was obvious. I really liked Bad Magic and hoped for one more good Motorhead show in support of it but they came out and played a short set with no songs from that.

Saxon killed it in support thankfully.

When I caught Motorhead in 08/09 it was like a bomb went off and despite Lemmy being in his 60's he seemed like an immortal up there radiating badassery. On that last tour he was a frail old man.

Glad I went anyway.

CannibalCorpse
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 1:51 pm 

mirons wrote:
That said, Dio and Lemmy dying were sad moments for me, even though they came as a surprise to no one. I suppose in these cases it's that these deaths are like symbols of an end of an era.

In what world was Dio's death "a surprise to no one"? I clearly remember him getting better with a good prognosis and then it all happened really fast.

I was certainly in shock in 2010.

Adder's Fork - These Mountains Cast Great Shadows - NEW!
Adder's Fork + Dea Artio/In Dornen/Winter's Breath - A Gathering of Four - Split - NEW!
Adder's Fork - Website
Reviewer for Antichrist Magazine

Ace_Rimmer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 2:51 pm 

The survival rate from stomach cancer is not very good.

lordcatfish
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 3:25 pm 

There's been a few that got to me. Alexi Laiho, Pete Steele and Miika Tenkula all made music that was (and still is) really important to me, and it still gets me down a little knowing that they're gone.

The one that will really ruin me is Alice Cooper.

Lagartija
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 4:53 pm 

acid_bukkake wrote:
Dave Brockie. He was a true mad genius, putting more thought into low brow hijinks than some do their thesis papers.

I was just about to add this one. I interviewed him on their tour bus quite a few years ago and he was so cool, such fun to chat to. Fucking drugs :annoyed:

kazhard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 7:09 pm 

For me it was Chris Cornell, not that I’m the biggest Soundgarden fan or anything but it’s always a sad day when someone end up taking his own life. I remember I had tears in my eyes while listening to Rusty Cage. The Seattle scene was very important in shaping my musical taste so that might be why I had a hard time with Chris death.

oldmetalhead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 7:38 pm 

Lot's of good mentions. The one that first gutted me was Criss Oliva. Coming off their best album, IMO, Edge of Thorns and then I found out he had been killed by a drunk driver. Savatage was never the same, regardless of who they brought in and they brought in some very good guitarists.

mike_87
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 7:49 am 

Alexi Laiho's death devastated me being a massive fan...I still find it tough to process and believe to this day. What's worse is he died so young. That day I heard about it it was on my mind the whole day and for many months after. I think it will be worse around the time a new COB album would have been due out, that day will never come now. Never have I been so grateful that I got to see them live once but that was way back in 2011, shit that I never got to see them again before he died. I don't think the metal world will be the same or that we will ever have another band like COB. It's also disgraceful the way he was treated after his funeral, all that bitching from Kimberly Goss, being the one holding up his remains being laid to rest for almost a year, he deserved better than that. Those that knew him have said many times what a great person he was to know, that he was actually quite humble and nice natured, as opposed to how he could have become. And honestly, his death brings on more fear that another one of our heroes will be tragically taken at random and so young. On a brighter note the music is going nowhere and I've got back into a bit of an addiction of listening to their music since he died, particularly Hatebreeder.

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2  Next