Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Dembo
Dumbo

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2022 8:58 am 

Not that I care about the individual case but isn't there a policy of accepting band submissions that have much more info even if submitted a bit later than another submission of the same band? Or was there never such a policy? At least that's been a possible answer from moderators in the past when I've submitted bands before someone else but seen the other get accepted.

The difference in time was 5 minutes.

The difference in info was:
He: a Bandcamp link and nothing else (not even their one and only release!)
Me: two versions of the album, track lengths, lyrics, line-up, logo, location, seven links

https://www.metal-archives.com/bands/De ... 3540503105

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2022 9:06 am 

Yeah, I've restored yours.

Cochino
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2022 2:18 am 

I guess this would be the right thread to ask this. Would something like this be a worthy entry, or would it just fall into the sampler category?
https://www.discogs.com/release/1735289 ... n-Or-Burn-

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2022 5:54 am 

Standard procedure is to add it if it's official, public and features no more than 6 participating artists. We don't really draw any distinctions between samplers and "proper" splits at this point.

Cochino
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2022 1:52 pm 

Ok, thanks for the quick reply.

Kennermahn
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2022 12:03 pm 

Hello
Are links to pages on legit websites belonging to nazi bands to be removed? There have been some posts pointing that way but there isn't a clear official statement on the mater.

I'm asking I removed a link from this band and a mod asked me why.
https://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Pogrom/3540503228

I'm not asking the mod privately since I guess this needs confirmation from another mod (and also so that other users can see it).

Thanks

HellBlazer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2022 3:08 pm 

Kennermahn wrote:
Hello
Are links to pages on legit websites belonging to nazi bands to be removed? There have been some posts pointing that way but there isn't a clear official statement on the mater.

I'm not asking the mod privately since I guess this needs confirmation from another mod (and also so that other users can see it).

Thanks

Leave them for now. Just straight up removing the links is not a good solution, because people doing site work still need those links from an encyclopedic perspective to verify info, etc. We'll figure something out.

Kennermahn
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2022 4:01 pm 

HellBlazer wrote:
Kennermahn wrote:
Hello

Thanks

Leave them for now. Just straight up removing the links is not a good solution, because people doing site work still need those links from an encyclopedic perspective to verify info, etc. We'll figure something out.

Okay, makes sense, thanks.

GraveWish
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2022 2:34 pm 

Dembo wrote:
Are Bandcamp pages like these official? They seem odd in that the cover art is usually some band photo or logo, and the description to the right being quite amateurish:

"Compilasi Streaming And promotion Black Metal Indonesia Song"
https://sabdopatiproject.bandcamp.com/music
https://www.metal-archives.com/labels/Embek_Ireng/47483

"Labels for data backup and promotional media for Indonesian Black Metal & gothic songs.."
https://legionhitamnusantara.bandcamp.com/music
https://www.metal-archives.com/labels/L ... tara/58042

No these are not official. Probably a couple of those bands should be removed also for not having a valid release. The matter was previously overlooked or maybe someone checked the bands without giving a public announcement regarding the matter. In all cases all those releases should be tagged as unofficial. A moderator should check those bands since he has access to view the hidden notes so he can verify based on what these bands were accepted.

GraveWish
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2022 5:46 am 

Hello, why the "wrong music genre" was removed from reports?

MacMoney
Man of the Cloth

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2022 6:48 am 

The MA Team wrote:
We are making some changes to how we list genres on the site. As long-time readers will know, the way we list sub-genres of metal on the site has changed over the years. When the site started 20 years ago, you'd find bands labeled as "Gothenburg" and "Gore Metal" and bands listed with "influences" of many other styles. As the full discographies of many bands ended up on the internet and the discographies of long-running bands kept growing, we often had to denote different eras (early/mid/later) and try to sum up a dozen albums. This became a point of contention, because metalheads deliberating subgenres are like goths arguing about what is and isn't goth - they're pedantic and insufferable.

All the bands on the site are metal, so that's what we'll call them.

"Metal"

No more sub-genre tags, descriptors, influences. No more "technical something/other metal with non-metal fusion influences."

"Metal"

The "wrong music genre" option will be removed from reports, and the genre-change thread in the suggestions and complaints forum will be retired. The deluge of emails regarding genres sent to [email protected] will be answered with a link to listen to Manilla Road's 1982 album "Metal" and nothing further, lest we open the gates again. We'll never have to hear the word "djent" again and you'll be banned from the site or forum if you use it.

GraveWish
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2022 9:15 am 

You got me this year :-D

biomeatsea
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2022 3:06 am 

Hello.
New here to the forum. I'd like to talk about band appeals.
I've read the rules and guidelines there. But there's one info that nothing found.

I'd like submit the band, let's say the name X Y. This band also have alternate spelling XY (without space).
One official social media username and logo design reads XY. Official videos title and description and another social media, it reads X Y.
But XY is blacklisted, X Y is not. Both same country.

What should I do? Should I request to moderator to blacklist the alternate spelling one first to avoid blacklist evasion before create a thread or just create a thread on band appeals?

Thanks.

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2022 3:27 am 

If you think the band is metal, simply create an Appeal with both variations in the title and explain the situation in the opening post.

LongHairIsSoFuckingCool
Edgy Metal Noob Catchphrase Dispenser

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2022 5:02 pm 

Ok, so there's this artist I wanna add to the band queue that only released an EP before changing their name and releasing.. ...nothing else.

Should I submit the band under the original or new name?

recyclage wrote:
Anyone who writes "The Deftones" isn't trustworthy.

Derigin
The Mountain Man

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2022 6:26 pm 

The name the release is under.

R.I.P. Diamhea 1987-2018
Live young, die free. Gone, but not forgotten.

Pitter
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2022 6:55 am 

Metantoine wrote:
Roffle_the_Thrashard wrote:
Thanks! Now to find a way to shrink the size of the art so I can actually add the album... :nono:

2 good options:
http://picresize.com/
http://resizeyourimage.com/

you can Also try this one for compress image
https://jpegcompress.com

LongHairIsSoFuckingCool
Edgy Metal Noob Catchphrase Dispenser

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2022 4:53 pm 

What makes a cover for a digital release "fully defined"? I just ran into this band on bandcamp where all the releases are just random artworks taken from other places on the internet. The only exception is this one where the artist edited on the title of the album. Is that valid?

recyclage wrote:
Anyone who writes "The Deftones" isn't trustworthy.

Antioch
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2022 12:50 pm 

Why aren't discographies of major bands locked for newbs anymore?

Derigin
The Mountain Man

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 2:38 pm 

Most still are: https://www.metal-archives.com/todo/locked

R.I.P. Diamhea 1987-2018
Live young, die free. Gone, but not forgotten.

MetalCuresHeadaches
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2022 9:28 am 

Derigin wrote:

None of us can actually see that. Even as a Knight it says I "don't have the credentials".

BastardHead wrote:
Everybody sucks, especially you.

Antioch
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2022 6:59 pm 

Derigin wrote:
Most still are

That's good to know. Thanks, Derigin.
I noticed that Judas Priest's page wasn't locked, and I assumed it was a general thing.

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 9:10 am 

Antioch wrote:
I noticed that Judas Priest's page wasn't locked

It is, though.

Antioch
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 9:27 am 

Strange. 'cause this version was added by a newb:
https://www.metal-archives.com/albums/97//1061768
Obviously I have no clue how this works.

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 10:12 am 

Disco locks don't apply to versions.

Antioch
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 11:05 am 

Got it. Thanks, Az.

Dembo
Dumbo

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2022 6:39 am 

I was surprised to see ScatterSoul added since they seem to only have tracks on SoundCloud. Does acceptance based on SoundCloud (and I guess similar platforms) tracks depend on whether the tracks are numbered, or on some other factor?

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2022 11:15 am 

SC is okay, provided there is an obvious tracklist order, cover art and all the tracks are available for download. The ScatterSoul album meets these criteria.

GraveWish
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2022 1:55 am 

Hello,
Why can't we use "Unknown" for:
- The release date of the parent version of a release (for example https://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Ob ... 3540511282)
- The format of a release (for example https://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Ap ... 3540511512)
I guess we can all agree that the information will look much better under the discography tab. Furthermore, I can't think of any specific reason for not allowing that.

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2022 1:06 pm 

I'm totally with you on both accounts and I've asked the higher-ups about it before, but HellBlazer is not too keen on the idea for some reason.

KingSpooky
The Man, The Machine, The Legend

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2022 9:49 am 

Speaking of listing the tracks of a release that has an unknown year or format, since it sounds like they'll continue to be added to the bio/additional notes section, to me numbering them and giving each song title a line within that small text field is an unnecessary waste of space. I've been formatting them this way: https://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Bl ... 3540501201 , and in general try to keep the bio/additional notes sections compact and to-the-point, the most important info at the top (additional discography being that). Any opinions on the formatting at that link vs. the 2 that GraveWish posted yesterday? I noticed that a user has been reformatting them to the latter, so rather than having two different users invest time formatting the same information in a different way, coming to a consensus on and communicating it would be great.

GraveWish
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2022 2:16 pm 

There you go, another reason to allow the "Unknown" tag. I understand that this option can be abused by users for no valid reasons. Nevertheless, it can be restricted for moderators, for example. To say the truth, both format are understandably not "user friendly", because such information is not supposed to be there to start with. If I had to choose one of them, KS format is better for the extra visible space.

Kennermahn
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2022 2:19 pm 

GraveWish wrote:
There you go, another reason to allow the "Unknown" tag. I understand that this option can be abused by users for no valid reasons. Nevertheless, it can be restricted for moderators, for example. To say the truth, both format are understandably not "user friendly", because such information is not supposed to be there to start with. If I had to choose one of them, KS format is better for the extra visible space.

Yes, I agree with this, make the option only available to knights and mods.

KingSpooky

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2022 3:01 pm 

Just to add a couple of additional benefits to the option of being able to enter in (some) releases of unknown year, and/or format: I've only been using the imgur site for about a year, and have no idea how long it, or the images that I've uploaded there will be around (I don't back most of them up). Saving the image onto Metal Archives would better protect against data/metal history loss. I still regularly clean up expired photobucket links on the site that are gone for good. Some of the j-card photos/artwork that I and others upload to imgur and link to the site along with described releases in the additional notes field are extremely rare, and may not turn up again. Also, when entering in a release there is an option to add more information about it (track durations, lyrics, recording info, etc.), much of which I leave off of a mention within additional notes for the sake of brevity, though are sometimes available and would otherwise be among the site's contents. It's mainly the possibility for releases of unknown year where full track listing and format is known to be entered in as part of the discography along with their other releases that I'd vote strongly towards.

MetalCuresHeadaches
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2022 5:05 pm 

I also concur with the idea of letting knights and above be able to include unknown release years in parent releases. It's honestly something that is relegated to mainly the types of bands we unearth in the research thread, so the option of being able to format them into proper discography entries seems like the best option, given that we can source the rest of the basic info the site requires.

KingSpooky wrote:
Speaking of listing the tracks of a release that has an unknown year or format, since it sounds like they'll continue to be added to the bio/additional notes section, to me numbering them and giving each song title a line within that small text field is an unnecessary waste of space. I noticed that a user has been reformatting them to the latter, so rather than having two different users invest time formatting the same information in a different way, coming to a consensus on and communicating it would be great.

That user is me, and I honestly have always listed releases of this nature that way because I felt like it was better for readability, but I have always agreed with the assessment that despite how it might look cleaner, it's way too long to really be at home in the additional notes field. The option to add these to a proper release page would really be the best solution, but an additional notes consensus would be helpful in the interim.

BastardHead wrote:

KingSpooky

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2022 7:28 pm 

MetalCuresHeadaches wrote:
That user is me, and I honestly have always listed releases of this nature that way because I felt like it was better for readability, but I have always agreed with the assessment that despite how it might look cleaner, it's way too long to really be at home in the additional notes field. The option to add these to a proper release page would really be the best solution, but an additional notes consensus would be helpful in the interim.

Yes, it is easier for readability. There's at least one other user that I've seen reformat them that way as well. I was interested to see which way most people prefer so that it wouldn't cause anyone extra work in the end if it was decided in a set way that it should be done. Also fine with going forward with editors having their own formatting styles, too - the info is there, and that's what matters. Just don't really want to cause more work for someone else if they consider it important to lay it out differently. Plenty of releases/recordings will still be listed this way even if we got the green light for adding to the discography cases where the format and full track listing is known but not the year, since a lot of full track lists of insanely rare music still aren't known in their entirety. Thanks for writing your opinions about it and bringing this up. Would be great to hear more thoughts and ideas about it.

MetalCuresHeadaches
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2022 7:04 am 

I recently had a message sent on the main site from one of the staff:

Quorthallis wrote:
A message regarding this https://www.metal-archives.com/labels/A ... tion/51517. Please don't add links for NSBM labels. It was discussed among the mods that we don't want to give these people promotion. Therefore, links for NSBM labels, Bitchute, and Gab are not allowed on this site.

Now I'm not opposed, fuck Nazis. But my question is if we as users should be removing these links as we come across them? Do we want to start removing links from bands and labels, or just not add new ones?

BastardHead wrote:

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2022 11:19 am 

Yes, you can remove any links that fit the description wherever you see them.

DeadKid
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2022 9:32 am 

If we're contented when a band we submitted was rejected and we delete the submission from our list, should we also get all the associated pages removed?

In my case the trail of pages left behind are: West, Jim West, Bill Anderson, Doug Rome, Dick Sneddon, Mick Riddel and Zeik Hume. I guess there's many other such pages that could do with being vacuumed up by an automated process.

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2022 12:12 pm 

Leave them. There is no need to delete them and they might be reused later if a submission gets restored or another draft is created.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39  Next