Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
REG
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2022 5:55 am 

I just discovered this band a couple of days ago. They are really good! They embody the very spirit of vikings! \m/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oTKsa-o3mT4

King_of_Arnor
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2022 8:15 am 

But they do it in a really campy, self-aware manner that's hard to take seriously. They're in that same bubble of aesthetic-focused bands that recycle every power metal cliché like Alestorm, Sabaton and Gloryhammer. Though I'll admit that female vocalist is genuinely talented.

REG
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2022 12:30 pm 

King_of_Arnor wrote:
But they do it in a really campy, self-aware manner that's hard to take seriously.

That's what makes it great though. I love campy stuff.

Thy Shrine
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2022 4:21 pm 

Cmon bro that's theater kid metal all the way

Perhaps.

LilTito
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2022 9:02 pm 

This is beyond awful

AxeCapitol
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2022 9:16 pm 

“If you aren’t a brother of Metal, you ain’t a brother of mine!” - Manowar, probably.

Slater922
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2022 9:17 pm 

You know what this band has in common with Sabaton (whom hosted the open air fest the Brothers of Metal also played in this video)?

They both suck.

AxeCapitol wrote:
“If you aren’t a brother of Metal, you ain’t a brother of mine!” - Manowar, probably.

Oh, yeah, and this band also feels more like a Dollar General knockoff version of Manowar :lol:

Endarkening
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2022 10:11 pm 

Idiotic beer swilling folkish heavy metal. Korpiklaan has been doing this for years.

Oxenkiller
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2022 1:13 am 

You know, I can ALMOST get the appeal of this. Almost.

When I was a wee mallcore kid of around 11 or 12, just discovering Dungeons and Dragons, Lloyd Alexander fantasy novels, and Conan the Barbarian, I'd probably see this band and think "Wow, this is the coolest thing ever."

But now I'm old and jaded and it's like, I'm just not feeling it. Because yeah, it's pretty cheezy.

However, this band is perfect cheezy Renaissance Faire music. If this band played at some Renaissance fair type gig, or one of those Scottish Highland Games festivals, I could see myself buying a pitcher and then watching them with a couple buddies, enjoying it in a mindlessly dumb drunken vibe kind of way. But it would have to be the right setting and/or state of intoxication. Just to sit and listen to them pretty much any other time or place... naah.

TheLoneForest
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2022 3:06 am 

This is beyond awful. (2)

Imagine being a grown man doing this shit. Like, I still think it's cringy as fuck to do corpse paint and shit, especially if you're over 15 years old, but this shit is just no different than your average city park Viking LARP. Hard pass

12 year old me would've hated this more than I do now though. I've evolved into a being of pure apathy
Eh Pop is meant for money garbage to be honest. You can really tell that the mainstream society are truly obsessed with it. They can really just love the very clean vocals and all the time they don't even use guitars.

TheLoneForest
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2022 3:08 am 

Imagine being a grown man doing this shit. Like, I still think it's cringy as fuck to do corpse paint and shit, especially if you're over 15 years old, but this shit is just no different than your average city park Viking LARP. Hard pass

12 year old me would've hated this more than I do now though. I've evolved into a being of pure apathy[/quote]

Thy Shrine wrote:
Cmon bro that's theater kid metal all the way

Ok nerd, you ready for your swirly??
Eh Pop is meant for money garbage to be honest. You can really tell that the mainstream society are truly obsessed with it. They can really just love the very clean vocals and all the time they don't even use guitars.

REG
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2022 3:27 am 

Oxenkiller wrote:
I'm just not feeling it. Because yeah, it's pretty cheezy.

Well I am feeling it. The simple rythm and the powerful sound is great.
Plus she is hot af.

Vadara
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2022 4:14 am 

Holy shit, why does this band have three goddamn guitarists and vocalists each.

Thy Shrine
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2022 5:07 am 

TheLoneForest wrote:

12 year old me would've hated this more than I do now though. I've evolved into a being of pure apathy

Wow it's impressive you grew into that state of apathy in only a years time, congratulations

Perhaps.

ChildClownOutlet
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2022 2:03 pm 

I dunno if it’s just me but I’ve been kind of losing my love for the BEER BEER folk metal. I like the somber battle like serious stuff more.

Oxenkiller
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2022 2:17 pm 

It sort of has the same appeal as KISS did for mallcore kids back in the late 70s- the costumes, the pyrotechnics, everything a kid of a certain age (who isn't already jaded by age 12) would love. Just like I remember hearing AC/DC's "For Those About to Rock" with it's cannon salute at around that age and thinking "This is the most awesome song ever!" I mean, I totally get it. But, I'm a lot older than 12, and maybe I am a bit jaded in my old age.

The music is simplistic enough to be enjoyable, even though it's certainly nothing groundbreaking or outstanding. Three guitarists, three vocalists and a keyboard player whose name I don't even see listed in the band members section (and who isn't even on camera during the video) are a bit over the top; you could do just as well musically with half as big of a band. Which makes the whole thing seem like more of a theater trope than a band.

In the right mood, with a ton of beer and in the right party-time kind of atmosphere, I still think this would be fun to see live. Nothing mindblowingly great, and certainly nothing I would go out of my way to listen to on my own, but just a fun beer bash kind of experience outdoors with a crowd of partying LARP'ers.

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2022 2:56 pm 

TheLoneForest wrote:
Imagine being a grown man doing this shit. Like, I still think it's cringy as fuck to do corpse paint and shit, especially if you're over 15 years old, but this shit is just no different than your average city park Viking LARP.

Imagine being a grown man and not being able to construct a relevant sentence without using the word "shit".

REG wrote:
Plus she is hot af.

What does that have to do with music? You know there are special sites for that kind of thing?

TheLoneForest
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2022 4:20 pm 

REG wrote:
TheLoneForest wrote:

Imagine being a grown man doing this shit. Like, I still think it's cringy as fuck to do corpse paint and shit,

Cringe like grown men running around in short shorts? That's not only cringe af but gay. If you don't get it I'm talking about football.

Yeah because homophobia is so hip and cool these days

Touch grass

LilTito
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2022 10:08 pm 

REG wrote:
Oxenkiller wrote:
I'm just not feeling it. Because yeah, it's pretty cheezy.

Well I am feeling it. The simple rythm and the powerful sound is great.
Plus she is hot af.

Not my problem that you're a manchild

Thy Shrine
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2022 10:12 pm 

Opus wrote:
TheLoneForest wrote:
Imagine being a grown man doing this shit. Like, I still think it's cringy as fuck to do corpse paint and shit, especially if you're over 15 years old, but this shit is just no different than your average city park Viking LARP.

Imagine being a grown man and not being able to construct a relevant sentence without using the word "shit".

REG wrote:
Plus she is hot af.

What does that have to do with music? You know there are special sites for that kind of thing?

Imagine being a grown man and not bothering to refute a single thing but instead complain about such "course language"

Perhaps.

LycanthropeMoon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2022 10:47 pm 

Really feeling the love in this thread.

Anyway, as someone that's a power metal dork, I personally think that... well, they're alright. I don't feel the urge to put them on often (if ever), but I wouldn't be mad if someone around me decided to put them on.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2022 10:36 am 

Video was so low quality I didn't see a point in playing it all. I guess it could've been worse what I did hear, though nothing I'd play with any regularity. Not into the silly costumes at all though. I can dig some black leather or over the top costumes but dressing up in a bunch of weird medieval or barbarian cosplay just goes too far for me, impossible to take seriously.

Oxenkiller
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2022 3:00 pm 

That's part of my issue; with nine people prancing about on stage dressed in fur skins and leather playing what sounds like a relatively simplistic parody of metal, it feels more like some cosplay theater trope performance act than a serious metal band.

AxeCapitol
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2022 6:54 pm 

Oxenkiller wrote:
That's part of my issue; with nine people prancing about on stage dressed in fur skins and leather playing what sounds like a relatively simplistic parody of metal, it feels more like some cosplay theater trope performance act than a serious metal band.

This is why i can’t take stuff like Van Canto seriously. It’s impressive as a novelty but wears thin and comes out fairly lame. Brother Metal kind of similar.

Give me a Lordi who are in on the wink and nudge over this kinda band.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2022 6:59 pm 

I'm the opposite, I'd rather it be much more serious and have a lot of production work in it if you're gonna do that kind of super dressed-up fantasy role play stuff. I just can't stand the jokey vibe of a lot of that stuff in metal.

Gravetemplar
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2022 7:09 pm 

Oxenkiller wrote:

This. I was not familiar with whatever this is but everything just seems to be really low effort. There's no mystique or soul about it, it coul very well be a parody band or whatever.

doomicus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2022 8:27 pm 

This is probably the worst music I've heard in a very long time. The exact opposite of what I enjoy in heavy metal music.

LycanthropeMoon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2022 8:53 pm 

Gravetemplar wrote:
Oxenkiller wrote:

This. I was not familiar with whatever this is but everything just seems to be really low effort. There's no mystique or soul about it, it coul very well be a parody band or whatever.

I think the lack of soul is my issue too, and why they tend to go in one ear and out the other for me. I don't give a shit if bands wanna dress up in extremely over the top costumes and have extravagant stage shows, but you've gotta have the songwriting chops to back this up. The female vocalist just sounds emotionless to me, even if she's staying on key.

Just no emotional resonance, unlike what I get from albums like... say, "The Black Halo" by Kamelot, "Imaginations From the Other Side" by Blind Guardian, "Oceanborn" by Nightwish or "Ghostlights" by Avantasia. There's just so much better power metal out there that I can pick and choose from. Even for nerdy fantasy shit, I'd rather just listen to "The Hall of the Olden Dreams" by Dark Moor or "Legendary Tales" by Rhapsody - more energy and enthusiasm, genuinely fun to listen to.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2022 8:54 pm 

Blind Guardian's early stuff is so good that I don't care that it's about a bunch of fantasy stuff that's pretty much outside of my literary tastes. That's how ya do it.

Nocturnal_Evil
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2022 9:14 pm 

I remember thinking this band was super cool when I discovered them in high school, but now my tastes have changed and they (and their ilk) outright annoy me. The reason, I've realized, is that they (and the wave of bands they belong to) are nothing more than a re-skinned glam metal movement: formulaic, aesthetics-first, watered down, copy-cat bands. The music is catchy, sure, but that doesn't excuse its total lack of soul.

Metalion_SOS
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 1:12 am 

The first thing I thought of was Goddess Of Desire, then it switched it off. GoD were embarrassing as well.

Ace_Rimmer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 10:57 am 

I don't mind the camp and cheesy imagery. If I was piss drunk at a festival I'm sure I could enjoy it.

Zdan
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 11:02 am 

I like my cheesy stuff and do not even mind the fantasy and LARP-ing elements. The problem here is that this really watered down and too basic even for me to enjoy. Not really melodic in an catchy or inventive sense and lacks the power and fury such bands might present to get my attention. In other words - the songs just went kind of nowhere. Heavy metal by numbers is really not needed when we have SO MUCH new traditional metal bands around - good bands!

linkavitch
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 11:12 am 

First listen (didn't watch video) and it sounds kinda like it was written in mind for concerts like they're doing. They definitely want the audience to be drinking and singing along to the choruses. Very harmless music, if it was on in the background I wouldn't mind it much, but I wouldn't go out of my way and buy their albums.

Second listen (watched video) and yeah, like others said its cheesy and campy, but it's just whatever. I've seen plenty of dumber stuff.

KaiKasparek
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 4:09 pm 

Oxenkiller wrote:
It sort of has the same appeal as KISS did for mallcore kids back in the late 70s-

Mallcore kids didn't exist in the 70s. Mallcore wasn't a thing until 1998.

Period

The greatest post in M-A history:

~Guest 21181 wrote:
The Legions of the Teabagged:
vacantmind - DURR GOATSE IS FOONY (If you meet this guy, please pour hot lead down his anus).

Oxenkiller
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 6:24 pm 

^correct, but the early 80's equivalent was your basic mallrat metalhead teens who were into stuff like Motley Crue, KISS, Quiet Riot, and so on. They might not have been called "Mallcore Kids" back then, but it was the same basic idea; typically young teenybopper types whose tastes had not yet evolved beyond basic mainstream hard rock. (The term "Mall rats" was not uncommon.)

And yeah, if I was piss drunk at a festival; under those conditions I could definitely get in to the Brothers of Metal. But sober in my living room, not so much.

TheLoneForest
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2022 12:57 am 

OP getting ratio'd HARD

abyss696
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2022 11:19 am 

This is awful! I had to turn it off after a couple of minutes, my cringe detector was about to explode. I always hated all those songs with cheesy sing-a-long choruses repeated a hundred times in the same song, I have no way to tell with words how much I dislike all those bands that built entire discographies using this pattern for all the songs. Shit like this, Wind Rose, Gloryhammer or Turisas, with the ridiculous costumes, childish artwork, cheesy fantasy lyrics and sugary music it's something that I will never ever understand or like.

Hexenmacht46290
Has a GED in Gamercide

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2022 11:28 am 

TheLoneForest wrote:
REG wrote:
TheLoneForest wrote:

Imagine being a grown man doing this shit. Like, I still think it's cringy as fuck to do corpse paint and shit,

Cringe like grown men running around in short shorts? That's not only cringe af but gay. If you don't get it I'm talking about football.

Yeah because homophobia is so hip and cool these days

Touch grass

True metal is about muscular, masculine, manly men, who fight with swords. It’s way gayer than sports.
With my weed, I smoke every day
If I'm not high, the hate will escape
I smoke and smoke, stoned as a fuck
Weed is my life, weed is my love…
-John Gallagher

LongHairIsSoFuckingCool
Edgy Metal Noob Catchphrase Dispenser

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2022 1:57 pm 

Still better than Beast in Black.

recyclage wrote:
Anyone who writes "The Deftones" isn't trustworthy.

Reply to topic