Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Vadara
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 8:10 pm 

HeavenDuff wrote:
To a lesser degree, deathcore did have a significant impact on the death metal scene for quite some time, leading to some death metal bands dumbing down their sound to try and stay relevant

I am struggling to think of a single band that actually did this besides Cryptopsy.

LycanthropeMoon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 8:10 pm 

EvergreenSherbert wrote:
LycanthropeMoon wrote:
This thread has truly inspired me.
I'm going to make a playlist in which Manilla Road and Whitechapel exist in perfect harmony with each other, thank you.

Weak. I have Dismember in the same playlist as Spiritbox.

Welp, guess I'm gonna have to put Demilich and Chiodos in the same playlist now to try and one up this.

Slater922 wrote:
ChildClownOutlet wrote:
I feel like this shit is dead now. I remember during the early 2010's there was the whole DUDE DEATHCORE ISN'T REAL METAL LOL etc shit but that's died down. Same with the anti Slipknot shit.

Wait until you go to the Dank Metal Memes subreddit.

Metal meme subreddits and metal Facebook groups are the absolute worst, lol. They attract the most obnoxious people.

As far as metal elitism itself, well... for one thing, it only seems to be a big problem online. It's very rare at actual shows - I've seen people in Slipknot shirts hanging out with people in Darkthrone shirts without an issue. One time, someone bluntly told me they didn't like Cradle of Filth when I wore a COF shirt - even then, we got along fine after that and I think he was just giving his opinion more than being an elitist prick. For another, it's just a waste of energy. It's fine to have certain standards for what you're into and to express these things, but being a dick to other people over a difference in opinion is dumb high school bullshit.

Zdan
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 8:39 pm 

LilTito wrote:
I bet the OP listens to early Judas priest lol

And what is the problem with early Judas Priest? Care to elaborate? ;)

MetlaNZ
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 8:42 pm 

LycanthropeMoon wrote:
I'm going to make a playlist in which Manilla Road and Whitechapel exist in perfect harmony with each other, thank you.

Whitechapel? The first song on Out Of The Abyss? Love that Manilla Road song.

MetlaNZ
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 8:46 pm 

LilTito wrote:

I certainly hope so, total red flag if they don't.

LilTito
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 9:00 pm 

Zdan wrote:
LilTito wrote:

Because it's about as metal as AC/DC are

Forever Underground
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 9:03 pm 

LilTito wrote:
Zdan wrote:
LilTito wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UbMFhI_GSFs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IO7yEgpDWZM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_sSV_KqU4o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHHXLlChOgU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=esDkLrZm0jU

LilTito
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 9:12 pm 

Thanks for proving my point. But let's not derail this thread any further

Ace_Rimmer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 10:13 pm 

KaiKasparek wrote:
Ace_Rimmer wrote:
I just spun Kings of Metal and now I fully agree with the OP.

:metal:

I've never noticed this before but that is a tiny neck and those are tiny strings.

That is a full size bass, Joey is just that manly and massive once he hits the stage.

Ace_Rimmer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 10:14 pm 

LilTito wrote:
Thanks for proving my point. But let's not derail this thread any further

:durr:

EvergreenSherbert
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 11:00 pm 

LycanthropeMoon wrote:
EvergreenSherbert wrote:
LycanthropeMoon wrote:

Weak. I have Dismember in the same playlist as Spiritbox.

Welp, guess I'm gonna have to put Demilich and Chiodos in the same playlist now to try and one up this.

You can't beat me. The same playlist I mentioned also has Cryptopsy, Bloodbath, and Knelt Rote... as well as Vildhjarta, Trivium, and a couple Slipknot songs. If that doesn't sound bad enough, this playlist used to be exclusively nu-metal and hard rock, like Korn and Seether, but it just got deleted and replaced with metal over time. I'm off the rails.

Lord_Of_Diamonds
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 1:59 am 

Taylor Swift, C418, Imogen Heap, and Solar Fields regularly intermingle with metal in my library of listening material.

LongHairIsSoFuckingCool
Edgy Metal Noob Catchphrase Dispenser

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 2:07 am 

Lord_Of_Diamonds wrote:
Taylor Swift, C418, Imogen Heap, and Solar Fields regularly intermingle with metal in my library of listening material.

Why Taylor Swift?

Also, for me metal is placed next with Oingo Boingo and Skatalites in my CD collection.

recyclage wrote:
Anyone who writes "The Deftones" isn't trustworthy.

Oheao
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 2:15 am 

I listen to Sonic R music along with death metal.

Zdan
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 2:22 am 

LilTito wrote:
Zdan wrote:
LilTito wrote:

Ah yes - Tyrant, Dissident Aggressor, Exciter - total hard rock music in the vein of AC/DC and non-metal. No sir. Take care of that edge because someone might cut themselves.

DeathFusion
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 2:25 am 

LilTito wrote:

We get it, you hate everything that's more than five years old. :p

LongHairIsSoFuckingCool
Edgy Metal Noob Catchphrase Dispenser

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 2:45 am 

DeathFusion wrote:
LilTito wrote:

We get it, you hate everything that's more than five years old. :p

Why are some metal fans like that?

recyclage wrote:
Anyone who writes "The Deftones" isn't trustworthy.

DeathFusion
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 2:53 am 

LongHairIsSoFuckingCool wrote:
Why are some metal fans like that?

Beats me, but I think it is more prevalent in other genres. Most metalheads listen to or at least respect the classics, but I sometimes hear pop or hip hop fans dismissing a song because it's "old".

hallowed78
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 3:18 am 

Maybe me being 44 is a factor, but I just can't get my head around this "protecting the trve metal" schtick. Metal is a living thing, things are born, evolve then die. Sometimes they come back decades after in a new form when a new generation brings new perspectives to the table. It would be foolish to shut oneself out of such a wealth of different genres and bands.

Lord_Of_Diamonds
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 3:20 am 

LongHairIsSoFuckingCool wrote:
Why Taylor Swift?

Her music is somewhat nostalgic for me and also just well-written pop music in general (discounting everything between Red and Folklore). 22 is my favorite pop song of all time.
DeathFusion wrote:
Beats me, but I think it is more prevalent in other genres. Most metalheads listen to or at least respect the classics, but I sometimes hear pop or hip hop fans dismissing a song because it's "old".

Pop music is meant to embody the zeitgeist and be popular in the moment. It has a short shelf life, almost by design.

Thy Shrine
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 5:05 am 

Lol this thread is fucking epic.

Now I am one to think people that bitch about those terrible terrible elitists often just have shit taste, or ironically enough can't stand people not liking what they like, which is hilariously what they say about elitists.

Now, I think being passionate about your taste is better than just liking it for surface reasons, I think most people on here have an in depth reasoning why they like the music, so I can't really go around calling people posers.

Elitism is good, having personal standards and boundaries is good, but forcing it on others is not good, and truthfully I think the non 'elitists" usually whine far Louder than the supposed elitists, so they oughta get over the victim complex, if I say your taste fucking sucks and you should listen to better shit, why do you care, you know how many people have told me my taste sucks? I just don't fucking care

And yeah I like that stand up for what you believe in thing, metal should be about standing your ground, and not changing to fit others opinions.

Perhaps.

LithoJazzoSphere
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 7:41 am 

LordOfTheGallows wrote:
Or, and as much as I do like them, The Absence were doing some stupid thing back in 2007 or so where they'd give you a free shirt if you let them destroy your Trivium shirt. Just stupid, insecure crap.

Yikes. I love The Absence, but that's just ridiculous. Trivium is really not all that far in sound from them in the grand scheme of things. And heck, they both released albums last year and Trivium's was better. And I suspect most people here who've heard both would agree. Take that. Although, I guess to be slightly fair, in '07 they had yet to release their best album up to that point with Shogun. A better target would have been someone like Atreyu.

KaiKasparek
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 8:17 am 

Zdan wrote:
LilTito wrote:
Zdan wrote:

Ah yes - Tyrant, Dissident Aggressor, Exciter - total hard rock music in the vein of AC/DC and non-metal. No sir. Take care of that edge because someone might cut themselves.

Even if the first Priest album was British Steel.....what a fucking tool. AC/DC never wrote Rapid Fire, Freewheel Burning or Screaming For Vengeance. And AC/DC rules so double fuck off.

Period

The greatest post in M-A history:

~Guest 21181 wrote:
The Legions of the Teabagged:
vacantmind - DURR GOATSE IS FOONY (If you meet this guy, please pour hot lead down his anus).

MetalVermont
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 8:34 am 

MetalVermont wrote:
LordOfTheGallows wrote:
I've always found the concept of a 'poser' to be ridiculous, at least how I've seen it thrown around. If you genuinely like whatever thing you're into, how are you posing? Like all the stupid Bay area thrash anti poser shit back in the 80s, where the Exodus guys would cut up peoples Ratt shirts because they were somehow lesser for listening to glam. Utter nonsense. Or how bands with keyboards and clean vocals (and their fans by proxy) get shit on by cvlter than thou assholes. Or, and as much as I do like them, The Absence were doing some stupid thing back in 2007 or so where they'd give you a free shirt if you let them destroy your Trivium shirt. Just stupid, insecure crap.

It was called posing because people were pretending to like metal when actually all they cared about was the image and drinking and hitting on the girls at the Ratt/Crue/Leppard shows.

No disagreements? Excellent! And LOL at the guy dissing Priest.

Maggot penetration
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 8:45 am 

I like metal so don't really have an issue with that. Looking forward to excellent elite metal albums and a glorious return of true metal mainstream charts supremacy

KaiKasparek
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 8:46 am 

LordOfTheGallows wrote:
I've always found the concept of a 'poser' to be ridiculous, at least how I've seen it thrown around. If you genuinely like whatever thing you're into, how are you posing? Like all the stupid Bay area thrash anti poser shit back in the 80s, where the Exodus guys would cut up peoples Ratt shirts because they were somehow lesser for listening to glam.

No it wasn't, it was funny. I'm still waiting for some fake-fan corporate shill youtube channel being stupid enough/bait hungry about how "problematic" Paul Balloff and Exodus were only to get BTFO off the internet.

Period

~Guest 21181 wrote:
vacantmind - DURR GOATSE IS FOONY (If you meet this guy, please pour hot lead down his anus).

EvergreenSherbert
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 12:05 pm 

Oheao wrote:
I listen to Sonic R music along with death metal.

This is the most based post of the entire thread so far. Can you feel the sunshine? Does it brighten up your day?

KaiKasparek
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 12:08 pm 

The real based alpha test is, does he read the Archie Sonic comics while listening to death metal?

Period

~Guest 21181 wrote:

Zdan
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 12:18 pm 

KaiKasparek wrote:
The real based alpha test is, does he read the Archie Sonic comics while listening to death metal?

Does he read Sonichu while listening to goregrind?

EvergreenSherbert
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 12:48 pm 

Zdan wrote:
KaiKasparek wrote:

Does he read Sonichu while listening to goregrind?

Regardless of either of these answers, he's still more based than me, because I only played Sonic Adventure as a kid on the Xbox 360 as part of the "Dreamcast collection", instead of the actual Sega Dreamcast. My gaming is more basic than my metal taste. If elitism is a thing in gaming too, I'm doomed.

Maggot penetration
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 12:55 pm 

Just tried some new (2013) thrash metal. Sounded ok at first but by track 2 it became clear that these guys never worked as miners, builders or at least gardeners or undertakers. It's just not the same

Zdan
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 1:36 pm 

Maggot penetration wrote:
Just tried some new (2013) thrash metal. Sounded ok at first but by track 2 it became clear that these guys never worked as miners, builders or at least gardeners or undertakers. It's just not the same

Remember children only certain professions allow you to make proper thrash metal. The Internet said so.

Maggot penetration
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 2:00 pm 

Zdan wrote:

Remember children only certain professions allow you to make proper thrash metal. The Internet said so.

History tells us so. Watch random documentaries about Black Sabbath, Napalm Death, Kreator and similar. Watching a Kreator docu right now, the 80s grimness is real and their metal was elite and true

Personally I escaped from the working class grimness as soon as possible after some time in a factory but metal was pretty working class back then

Can you name an elite thrash band that was made up of lawyers?

pressingtoplead13
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 2:05 pm 

Elitism is for small minds, and people who want to put everything in boxes. I am on bored with genres and claiming things accurately it only makes sense if your one of those people who points out that Mayhem isnt actually death metal they are black metal because your simply making a point to clarify so someone can find similar artists.

However, the elitist who think "thats not metal", "thats not klvt", I think just need to grow up. Let other people enjoy what they want to listen to, when your older and been around the block and confident in yourself you stop worrying about other people taking over your "thing", I remember in high school i was identified as "the metal kid" long hair, nasty death metal t-shirts. As an adult i'm more than just someone who likes death metal, and I also like more than just death metal, in fact I'd say in the last year or so I've probably listened to more deathcore than metal. Does this make me not metal? Maybe. Dont give a fuck and neither should anyone else. Enjoy music, and move along.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 2:30 pm 

Seems like there's a difference in meanings for what elitism means. I said I thought it was good earlier, but I meant just in the way of me having my own standards. I don't like dumb stuff, don't like stuff you have to turn your brain off to enjoy or lower your standards. I'm a snob about it. I like stuff to have some sort of substance or something that stands out.

But yeah if it's like judging other peoples' taste, sure, that's a juvenile waste of time, not really any use in that.

Zdan
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 2:53 pm 

Zdan wrote:

History tells us so. Watch random documentaries about Black Sabbath, Napalm Death, Kreator and similar. Watching a Kreator docu right now, the 80s grimness is real and their metal was elite and true

Personally I escaped from the working class grimness as soon as possible after some time in a factory but metal was pretty working class back then

Can you name an elite thrash band that was made up of lawyers?

You might find that I do not subscribe to the same notions (or any for that matter) of being "elite" and "true" as you so asking me that question is rather pointless.

pressingtoplead13
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 3:06 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
Seems like there's a difference in meanings for what elitism means. I said I thought it was good earlier, but I meant just in the way of me having my own standards. I don't like dumb stuff, don't like stuff you have to turn your brain off to enjoy or lower your standards. I'm a snob about it. I like stuff to have some sort of substance or something that stands out.

But yeah if it's like judging other peoples' taste, sure, that's a juvenile waste of time, not really any use in that.

Are you implying that you think MOST of the population has their brain turned on to begin with? lol. In all seriousness, I get where you coming from but sometimes I enjoy the dumb stuff simply for the fact of turning my brain off and just blowing off some steam, just because its dumb doesnt mean I cant connect with it. With that said I enjoy aspects of various styles of metal and i'm sure your the same.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 3:11 pm 

Eh most people are alright.

It's just the double standard that annoys me. It seems OK to dislike stuff like Gorguts - Obscura, but bash some dumb lowest common denominator pop metal or boring retro stuff and you get "well it's not supposed to be high art" like I'm now the dumb one. Just annoying really.

CreepingDeath16
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 3:32 pm 

TheCloudMinder wrote:
It’s precisely because of this deep love that the metal elitist will vehemently fight back against anyone who would try to stop his love.

How does this fight manifest exactly? Are you merely a keyboard warrior or a sociopath that goes punching people with "wrong" t-shirts?

TheCloudMinder wrote:
And thus, I am proud to call myself a Metal Elitist, for I am someone who is willing to stand and fight for my beliefs, and my belief is that heavy metal is the greatest form of music ever created. I want to see it preserved and defended against those who would try to destroy it.

Metal is an indestructible force that doesn't need protection. What you are ultimately defending is your own ego.

I wish you nothing but Peace, Love and Ultra-Violence (you know, the Death Angel kind).

CoconutBackwards
Bullet Centrist

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 3:38 pm 

Shockingly, there's no explanation in this in depth essay showing Metal Elitism as "Important" and the guy that made this thread hasn't been back.
"So, you want to sign songs about your great and glorious invisible cloud daddy? Go right ahead. You have whole tax-free buildings to do that in. I am not only not listening, I am intentionally going out of my way to ignore you."

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next