Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Krist4Lyne
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2022 4:37 pm 

Ace_Rimmer wrote:
Usually there is a few rows deep near the barrier where you’d can stand, and the mosh pit is behind that. But yeah if you want to stand peacefully near the front at a lot of metal shows…good luck with that unless you got in there early enough to get that front spot.

C'mon, you only need to weigh one thousand pounds. Not that hard with a good diet.

DoomMetalAlchemist
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2022 10:22 am 

HeavenDuff wrote:
Moshing is part of the culture and complaining about it makes you guys look like self-centered wet blankets who think the world has to adapt to their every wants and desires.

Wow. :lol:

thrashinbatman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2022 10:36 am 

i agree with him. metal is an intense form of music and it makes sense the way crowds enjoy it is intense. if you dont want to partake in that intensity then you can either be in the very front or the back. occasionally the front few rows will be bothered by the mosh pit but if you cant handle getting moved around like that, then maybe dont get into the mix of a standing-room-only crowd at a metal show.

CreepingDeath16
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2022 10:48 am 

HeavenDuff wrote:
Moshing is part of the culture and complaining about it makes you guys look like self-centered wet blankets who think the world has to adapt to their every wants and desires.

And insisting that people who are at a gig just to listen to the music must tolerate or even unwillingly partake in mindless bouncing around because "it is part of the culture" isn't self-centered? You're saying that people who enjoy that are more important and require extra space on the floor to express their "being part of the culture" and everybody else must move aside (where they possibly can't see the stage) or "leave the hall". I always make sure I get to the front row to avoid this, so I'm fine with it in the end, but not everybody can.

HeavenDuff
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2022 11:27 am 

CreepingDeath16 wrote:
HeavenDuff wrote:

And insisting that people who are at a gig just to listen to the music must tolerate or even unwillingly partake in mindless bouncing around because "it is part of the culture" isn't self-centered? You're saying that people who enjoy that are more important and require extra space on the floor to express their "being part of the culture" and everybody else must move aside (where they possibly can't see the stage) or "leave the hall". I always make sure I get to the front row to avoid this, so I'm fine with it in the end, but not everybody can.

Like I previously mentionned, there are countless spots in a venue, and even moreso in outdoors festivals, where you can watch the show without being remotely close to the moshpit, and still being able to see the band properly. You guys make it sound like moshpits take up the whole room, which is not the case.

Three years ago I was able to attend the High on Fire / PowerTrip tour in North America after having severly injured my anckle. I attended the show, walking around with a cane. I was only 2 or 3 rows behind the pit and I was not bothered in the slightest by it, and I could easily see all the way to the stage. And when I got tired of standing up, we headed to the balcony where I was able to enjoy the rest of the show sitting down.

It obviously sucks if people push you into the pit without your consent, or if you get dragged in, but some of the comments I've read here so far make it sound like it's practicly impossible to attend a show and be able to see the stage properly if you're not exactly where the moshpit is. And that's just not the case.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2022 11:28 am 

Where are you guys seeing shows where taking four steps to the left totally obstructs your view of the stage? Maybe if you're only going to see bands above a certain level of popularity it could be a bigger pain in the ass than its worth but I don't think I've been to a show ever where I couldn't clearly hear the music and see the stage from the damn door. Unless the issue is more along the lines of "Any inconvenience to me, even the most predictable ones on the planet like mosh pits happening at a metal gig, is worth griping about".

I don't mosh anymore because I hit my "old and cranky" stage at roughly age 24 (also I'm 90% sure I got a concussion at a Deicide gig so it's mostly self preservation since my skull is apparently made of jello), but I used to be the obnoxious asshole who started most of them when I was a teenager. Considering how badly I would bully my 16 year old self if I met him today, I totally understand the annoyance of kids, meatheads, and meatheaded kids just slamming into you unexpectedly and then acting like you're the asshole if you don't smile about it. On the other hand, there is absolutely no fucking way you could ever say that moshpits at a metal show are anything other than the norm. And they are incredibly easy to avoid, to the point where the most belligerent anti-pit people I've ever come across at shows have always, always stayed in the one spot where they keep getting bumped into out of pure unflinching stubbornness, as though they personally owned that particular spot of the floor and they will defend it with their lives. I get that it's irritating, but your options are to either take a few steps away so both you and the moshers can have the enjoyable experience that you all want, or to stand your ground and guarantee you have a miserable time and potentially ruin a bunch of other peoples' night. If you really value making other people miserable over you having a good time yourself then you sound like that exact kind of wet blanket and frankly you deserve to be pushed over.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

ThrashTilDeath530
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2022 12:35 pm 

As an old fart myself, moshpits are fucking awesome and 90% of the reason why metal shows are more fun than any other kind of concert. Even if you choose not to participate, just watching a bunch of idiots run into each other is a great time. Sometimes I'll watch the pit more than the band. I could be way off base, but I think most bands (especially death and thrash bands) would prefer see some movement out there too.

thrashinbatman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2022 5:40 pm 

ThrashTilDeath530 wrote:
As an old fart myself, moshpits are fucking awesome and 90% of the reason why metal shows are more fun than any other kind of concert. Even if you choose not to participate, just watching a bunch of idiots run into each other is a great time. Sometimes I'll watch the pit more than the band. I could be way off base, but I think most bands (especially death and thrash bands) would prefer see some movement out there too.

as a guy in a thrash band, the more intense the crowd, the better. once played a gig in a small venue with no actual stage in Chicago where a kid got launched out of the pit directly into me which threw my guitar out of my hands. one of the best crowds i ever played to.

ZenoMarx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2022 5:58 pm 

I was around in the earlier days of pits (not NYC and WashDC when they were more formally invented at hardcore shows), but early enough to know they're quite a different animal today. All good things end.

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2022 6:52 pm 

CreepingDeath16 wrote:
You're saying that people who enjoy that are more important and require extra space on the floor to express their "being part of the culture" and everybody else must move aside (where they possibly can't see the stage) or "leave the hall".

Yes. That's going to be a prevailing opinion among people who frequent shows. Pits don't break out by the bar or in the booths, should the venue have one, and the sound quality is often better from that distance.

I haven't been in a pit in ~9 years, but even I know the floor within 20 feet of the stage is for good friendly violent fun.

darkeningday wrote:
I haven't saw any of the Seen movies.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2022 6:54 pm 

I don't really care about being in pits because I have a few things on my person I don't want to break, and I usually have a beer in hand - but eh no ill will to em. Just stay out of the way. It's energetic fucking music. Got to deal with it.

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2022 7:15 pm 

As a cameraman now, I don't mosh anymore, but fuck me if I won't be taking some fun crowd shots every once in a while.

Metallic Shock
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2022 12:25 am 

I don't mosh personally but I've never had much of a struggle avoiding them so I don't have a problem with them. The one thing I do find annoying though is when singers make a point to try and pressure the audience into making a bigger pit or doing a wall of death or whatever. That tends to make the environment less fun and a bit harder to maneuver as a non-mosher, though I do get that bands want to hype up the crowd.

Ace_Rimmer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2022 9:53 am 

I rarely see the call for a huge pit really work out and it kind of backfires.

Lee Harrison
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2022 12:11 pm 

It’s a Shame that Black Seeds of Vengeance have a miserable 76% ,simply one of the best death metal album all time, to keep quiet with In their darkened shrines(sigh)

Some people deserve Origin and co.

Ps we must absolutely re evaluate the lyrics of Vobiscum Satanas regards the fasci nazi shit of nowadays…
Sadly
Democracy can resist the authoritarian threat only if it transforms itself from a democracy of passive spectators into a democracy of active participants, in which the problems of the community are familiar to the individual and as important to him as his private affairs

ThrashTilDeath530
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2022 1:12 pm 

Ace_Rimmer wrote:

It's definitely a gamble. Most of the time all the people who want to mosh are already doing it. Nobody's waiting for the singer to remind them.

ThrashTilDeath530
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2022 1:25 pm 

Lee Harrison wrote:
we must absolutely re evaluate the lyrics of Vobiscum Satanas regards the fasci nazi shit of nowadays…
Sadly

The lyrics on this album kinda sound like your average "Jesus bad, Satan good" black metal stuff. I mean, I agree that if the legions of hell overthrew creation and plunged the world into a thousand years of darkness and torture, it would be a pretty bad time. I don't think it's meant to be taken seriously though.

Lee Harrison
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2022 2:01 pm 

ThrashTilDeath530 wrote:
Lee Harrison wrote:
we must absolutely re evaluate the lyrics of Vobiscum Satanas regards the fasci nazi shit of nowadays…
Sadly

The lyrics on this album kinda sound like your average "Jesus bad, Satan good" black metal stuff. I mean, I agree that if the legions of hell overthrew creation and plunged the world into a thousand years of darkness and torture, it would be a pretty bad time. I don't think it's meant to be taken seriously though.

Was ironic because who write of nazionalism or worse takes himself too seriously…
Democracy can resist the authoritarian threat only if it transforms itself from a democracy of passive spectators into a democracy of active participants, in which the problems of the community are familiar to the individual and as important to him as his private affairs

pressingtoplead13
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2022 2:40 pm 

I dont mind people moshing, especially if they are keeping it to only the people in the pit. I do however find the karate dudes and the crowd surfers annoying. I typically stand directly up front and I'll be damned if the sweaty smelly dudes crowd surf over me a million times, ya want to do it once ok cool whatever, but if no sooner then you make it to the front you run to the back to do it again shit gets old.

Gemini 7 Rising
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2022 9:51 pm 

Lee Harrison wrote:
It’s a Shame that Black Seeds of Vengeance have a miserable 76% ,simply one of the best death metal album all time, to keep quiet with In their darkened shrines(sigh)

Totally agree, BSOV rips

draconiondevil
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2022 10:27 pm 

Ace_Rimmer wrote:

lol reminds me of seeing Contrarian the other night. Nothing against them, but the singer kept trying to get the crowd to move and then they'd play a song with a quiet part that's just bass noodling or something. Real mosh-worthy material, guys.

Lord_Of_Diamonds
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2022 10:40 pm 

I fucking hate it when the vocalist constantly calls from the stage for the crowd to mosh or bang their heads. Like, come on, dude. If we want to mosh, we'll mosh, dammit. Maybe, like the above poster says, your material isn't mosh-worthy. In all the live videos I see in which the vocalist calls for the crowd to mosh, it's often during a very specific part of the song that is obviously designed to get folks moving and doesn't last that long.

Hexenmacht46290
Has a GED in Gamercide

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2022 1:24 pm 

Moshing to slow doom metal fucking rules.
With my weed, I smoke every day
If I'm not high, the hate will escape
I smoke and smoke, stoned as a fuck
Weed is my life, weed is my love…
-John Gallagher

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2022 3:59 pm 

Hexenmacht46290 wrote:

I remember seeing Weedeater some years ago and there was a slow motion mosh pit. Like people straight up pushing each other as slowly yet firmly as possible, it was like being in an ocean.

On the flip side, there was a shitload of pit ninjas and fast thrash-style pushing when I saw Sleep. It was absolutely horrendously out of place with the actual music.

Hexenmacht46290
Has a GED in Gamercide

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2022 4:17 pm 

Twisted_Psychology wrote:
On the flip side, there was a shitload of pit ninjas and fast thrash-style pushing when I saw Sleep. It was absolutely horrendously out of place with the actual music.

I wouldn’t want to excuse thug hardcore douche mosh behavior, but, with Sleep, and even Om, their music is to me, ritualistic, and similar to religious music. I think moshing should be considered acceptable. There are religions that have dancing, as part of their sabbaths. Black American Christianity does this, Sufism does it. It’s probably one of the original forms of religion, and lots of pagan tribal beliefs have dances. As long as it’s metal style, the pit stays under relative control, no throwing random strikes at people, no fighting, picking up those who fall, finding the owners of lost shoes, hats, glasses, and phones, I think it’s a good thing.
With my weed, I smoke every day
If I'm not high, the hate will escape
I smoke and smoke, stoned as a fuck
Weed is my life, weed is my love…
-John Gallagher

Gravetemplar
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2022 4:36 pm 

There's nothing dumber than a mosh out of place.

MorbidEngel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2022 8:18 pm 

Reminds me of the time I was at Sounds of the Underground 2006, and some dipshit was moshing during E-Town Concrete's slow rap parts. Hardcore arm spins and all

HeavenDuff
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2022 10:05 pm 

Except all this windmilling, arms flailing, crowd killing stuff is all -core shit and has nothing to do with metal or metal culture in general. At metal shows, the dickheads doing karate in the pit often get put in their place. Rightfully so.

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2022 10:46 pm 

BastardHead wrote:
You know, I'm a huge critic of metal culture. I love the music to the point that I've been listening to it for literally my entire life and have spent a decade now as a mod on the largest website dedicated to it on the internet, but there are so many pervasive issues that are really difficult to reconcile with my own values. Metal culture has an issue with allowing horrible people to go unchecked simply because their riffs are good, rampant misogyny, a nazi problem that isn't as huge as certain media outlets would have you believe but huge swaths of people run extra defense for these guys and black metal is undeniably a safe space for fascists where they can either be accepted or fly under the radar, FAR too many adults take the values espoused by a bunch of edgelord teenagers decades ago to be gospel without thinking critically about it even medium-hard, Paladin-level gatekeeping while simultaneously whining about how nothing new is good as though they aren't deliberately locking out creative people for dumbshit reasons, constantly proudly touting how metal is music for outsiders while also desperately seeking validation from any authority figure they can think of and trying to tie Venom to fuckin Wagner or whatever, and on and on and on. I didn't elaborate on what "metalloid" meant in the other thread but this sort of mentality is what makes a metalloid to me. Somebody who simultaneously makes a genre of music their whole identity while also being an insecure loudmouth who thinks listening to Slayer gives them a free pass to be an aggressive dickhead that still obviously cares *way too much* about this perceived status of "outsider", either by playing into it so much that it becomes their personality or by being so unconfident in their own hobbies that they desperately seek to make them "more legitimate" by connecting the music to any number of farflung absurdities.

I haven't posted here in a couple years (on account of general social media burnout, nothing about this place specifically - y'all are awesome) and briefly dropped in just to search for something unrelated, but hot damn if this doesn't summarize my mindset these days more eloquently than I ever could have said.

CreepingDeath16
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2022 7:31 am 

Hexenmacht46290 wrote:

This reminds me of a Warning gig I was at where some wanker right next to me was headbanging like it was a thrash metal song, which in slow doom metal equals to pretty much 32nd notes. If you wouldn't find that annoying, I might probably have to try what you're smoking or ingesting. I hope he kept that pace at every gig and has sustained fatal neck injury at a 1349 gig or something.

draconiondevil
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2022 8:46 am 

I'm not much of a mosher, but seeing Slayer in 2013 in a tiny club it was literally impossible to stay out of the moshpit so I just joined in.

Paka01
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2022 2:53 pm 

1. This is the best version of Desert Plains ever:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AkDaaiAPdFc

2. I hate those situations in concerts when singers ask the crowd to sing and he (singer) just stands there and listens. I mean, come on man, I came to the show to listen you to sing, not the other way around. Last night I attended a concert here in Croatia and the singer did this "you-sing-the-chorus" shit for almost every other song. It really gets on my nerves.

Forever Underground
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2022 4:12 pm 

Paka01 wrote:
2. I hate those situations in concerts when singers ask the crowd to sing and he (singer) just stands there and listens. I mean, come on man, I came to the show to listen you to sing, not the other way around. Last night I attended a concert here in Croatia and the singer did this "you-sing-the-chorus" shit for almost every other song. It really gets on my nerves.

When I was 13 years old I saw Judas Priest for the first time, when they started "breaking the law" the whole audience sang it and Rob didn't sing a single word, to this day I think it was an incredible moment that I keep in my heart.

Lee Harrison
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2022 6:59 pm 

For me Human Factor is fav album of Metal Church

Have a problem?

Lol

akb88
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2022 7:26 pm 

Gravetemplar wrote:
There's nothing dumber than a mosh out of place.

Saw Nightwish at the Hammerstein Ballrooom in NY some years ago and some dude wanted to start a mosh pit.........during Ever Dream.

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2022 7:33 pm 

Paka01 wrote:
1. This is the best version of Desert Plains ever:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AkDaaiAPdFc

Umm, what's different from the album version other than the slightly off key vocals (and Ripper not being Rob)?

soulonfire
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2022 7:40 pm 

I used to love moshing but over the past few years the pits at our local shows turned into drunk morons literally just swinging fists at everyone and straight up punching people in the face, head, and body. It's no longer just slamming and pushing. Last time I jumped in I got punched twice and ended up just straight up beating the guy and getting kicked out.

Use Baloo and calypso music.

Corpsey the Clown
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2022 8:26 pm 

Melodic death is massively overrated.
Mathcore, slam, power metal and djent all suck.
I don't like Manowar, Helloween or King Diamond.
Darkthrone bore the hell out of me.
Opeth have sucked ever since Heritage.
Portal, Defeated Sanity and Artificial Brain aren't very good.
Political correctness has no place in metal.
And it's actually more fun to talk about metal on RYM than here, which is sad in many ways.

Smalley
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2022 10:35 pm 

Corpsey the Clown wrote:
Opeth have sucked ever since Heritage.
Since when is that an unpopular opinion? I see people say that all the time...

ThStealthK wrote:
Thank god you're not a music teacher, the wisest decision you've ever made in your life.

Gravetemplar
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2022 5:47 am 

Corpsey the Clown wrote:
And it's actually more fun to talk about metal on RYM than here, which is sad in many ways.

Go back to that shithole then :lol:

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78 ... 221  Next