Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
orphy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2022 6:22 pm 

I'm an avid collector. I own almost 1700 releases between CDs, vinyl, and tapes. I'm 33. I like supporting good bands, and having a physical release with its entire presentation feels a lot more "complete" rather than just listening to something digitally. I should note I have nothing against digital music collections, as I download a ton of stuff, but I certainly like to buy things that strike a chord with me when I'm able to.

Ludorff
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2022 6:30 pm 

36 here. Started buying cassettes and CDs in mid/late 90s. Couple albums a year, then a few more... Never stopped buying CDs, but I did slow down a lot during the last decade. Now I also buy vinyls since 10 years, but steep pricing made me ramp up CD shopping again recently.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2022 6:31 pm 

I buy music all the time - often digitally now because a) I don't plan to stay in my current place forever and need to be easy to move and b) didn't want to use Amazon's actual packaging warehouses too much and support that exploitative shit. But I buy physical stuff from individual artists like Howie Bentley or other DIY guys whenever I can.

I always buy stuff I like somehow though - I want to be able to play it anywhere even with no WiFi and I don't want it to be deleted off whatever platform for whatever reason.

Last edited by Empyreal on Thu Sep 22, 2022 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LilTito
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2022 6:41 pm 

I'm in my 20s and i just find buying music too expensive when i can just listen to it online. I could care less for "supporting the artist" or whatever, especially if you can't provide me with a physical copy. Occasionally i wlll buy a cd but let's be real vinyl and CDs exist to satisfy the needs of collectors and FOMO people.

LongHairIsSoFuckingCool
Edgy Metal Noob Catchphrase Dispenser

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2022 12:50 am 

I don't own any vinyls, but I do occasionally buy some CDs. I like buying CDs because blasting the music on my TV gives off the feeling of the band performing live in my house, which is a experience I can't get just by listening to the band on Youtube with my headphones on.

I also heard Youtube downgrades audio quality when videos are uploaded anyways.

recyclage wrote:
Anyone who writes "The Deftones" isn't trustworthy.

Lord_Of_Diamonds
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2022 3:38 am 

YouTube does downgrade audio quality, but unless the video's real old or you're watching it on 144p resolution, I'm pretty confident that the vast majority of people will not care or notice a great difference in quality (as much as they think they do) vs. CD audio, especially if what you're listening to comes from an auto generated YouTube "topic" channel or the YouTube Music app. They used to use 192 kbps audio streams but now I think it's variable bit rate audio averaging 120-160 kbps. YouTube's audio compression is one of the better ones out there and definitely beats Bandcamp and Soundcloud's audio streams, which are definitely noticeable as being of poor quality.

Masterschiief
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2022 7:13 am 

I buy music that I like (mostly digital, sometimes CD if it's real good or not otherwise available) to support the artists. Streaming doesn't pay. Though I really like to have the files offline and without the need of a service app, so I'll also buy records (including digital) from artist who don't depend on sales.

FLIPPITYFLOOP
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2022 11:26 am 

I have a growing CD collection. Small vinyl collection too (won't grow as big because that shit gets mad expensive as a hobby) that I reserve mainly for my favourite records of all time, and albums that will sound amazing on wax. I like holding the album in my hand, looking through the artwork, reading the liner notes and lyrics, etc.

That said, my main CD cabinet is full so I'm going through my collection and selling albums that I don't ever listen to or simply don't like enough to own on CD. If I get more space (i.e. another shelf) then I'll continue stacking the collection; otherwise I'll have to be more selective for a little bit and do digital downloads primarily and save physical copies for albums I REALLY want.

Hexenmacht46290
Has a GED in Gamercide

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2022 11:27 am 

In my experience, Bandcamp AAC downloads sound significantly better, than anything on YouTube.
With my weed, I smoke every day
If I'm not high, the hate will escape
I smoke and smoke, stoned as a fuck
Weed is my life, weed is my love…
-John Gallagher

Lagartija
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2022 4:06 pm 

Very interesting to see so many people still buying CDs, according to frequent media reports no one buys them anymore. I'm in the camp of preferring physical when possible but due to space/finances have had to drastically cut back on purchases lately.
I love my vinyl and CD collections, but they're a bastard when it comes to moving house and as it is I have a whole room dedicated to them, couldn't keep that up indefinitely, so I've been Bandcamping quite a lot and Spotify to discover new bands/albums before buying.

hellofallhells
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2022 11:30 pm 

I'm 50 so not young but thought I would chime in anyway. I stream a lot because you can't beat the convenience and it's great for music discovery. That being said I still buy physical media occasionally. I still collect my favorite bands on either CD or vinyl depending on the band. I've gotten the last couple of Darkthrone albums on vinyl and will probably get the new one too. I'm a big Cannibal Corpse fan and always get their latest on CD. I bought the deluxe Senjutsu on CD because I always support Maiden. But the vast majority of my listening comes from media I already own and streaming.

LycanthropeMoon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2022 11:54 pm 

As someone firmly in the millennial camp (32 years young, baby!)... yeah, I buy records, CDs and digital all the time. Buying albums (and merch) is the best way to support the bands you like, after all. Also, limited vinyl colors are fun to collect.

That being said, I also use streaming services frequently. What can I say? They're convenient.

ZenoMarx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2022 10:15 am 

I'm surprised to see people buy streams and then don't download them for the sake of owning something and for backup/permanence reasons.

King_of_Arnor
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2022 2:14 pm 

ZenoMarx wrote:
I'm surprised to see people buy streams and then don't download them for the sake of owning something and for backup/permanence reasons.

If an album gets deleted off Bandcamp it's no longer possible to download after you purchased it, and there's no refunds (to my knowledge). So if you bought any Burzum album and didn't download it, you got fucked without warning.

Last edited by King_of_Arnor on Sat Sep 24, 2022 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lordcatfish
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2022 2:34 pm 

34, still buy CDs but the number I get is significantly down on say 5 years ago. I mostly buy to support my absolute favourite artists or to complete a collection. So maybe 10-15 a year. I have a collection of a couple of hundred CDs, and most of them I could do without really.

Otherwise, it's streaming on Spotify.

ZenoMarx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2022 3:52 pm 

King_of_Arnor wrote:
ZenoMarx wrote:

If an album gets deleted off Bandcamp it's no longer possible to download after you purchased it, and there's no refunds (to my knowledge). So if you bought any Burzum album and didn't download it, you got fucked without warning.

Here's a question...probably for its own thread, but...when people buy streams and do download them to have, but only listen to MP3s, do you only download the MP3s, or do you download the wav/lossless files so you have the full deal too? I understand why people listen to MP3s, but if you're purchasing something, I don't understand why you wouldn't want lossless files that you can then convert etc on your own if the files get lost or corrupted for various reasons. You know, for the versatility.

This has to be a complete shitshow for people who collect movies and TV shows.

CreepingDeath16
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2022 4:09 pm 

ZenoMarx wrote:
Here's a question...probably for its own thread, but...when people buy streams and do download them to have, but only listen to MP3s, do you only download the MP3s, or do you download the wav/lossless files so you have the full deal too? I understand why people listen to MP3s, but if you're purchasing something, I don't understand why you wouldn't want lossless files that you can then convert etc on your own if the files get lost or corrupted for various reasons. You know, for the versatility.

I only download the MP3s because the ~270 kbps Bandcamp downloads are is well enough. Files can get corrupted, books can get eaten by your dog, records can get "borrowed" by your so-called friends... that's just life.

LilTito
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2022 4:21 pm 

Well, this thread kind of inspired me. I bought 2 CDs which cost 50 dollars including shipping.. I just can't do this shit on the regular lol i'm too broke

King_of_Arnor
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2022 5:03 pm 

ZenoMarx wrote:

This has to be a complete shitshow for people who collect movies and TV shows.

While lossless formats like FLAC have better sound quality, most of the time I tend towards MP3s because they're adequate for casual listening and take up the least space. When you have large collections, trying to keep them all in FLAC or WAV format is impractical to say the least. As for files being lost or corrupted, Bandcamp lets you re-download as many times as you want so I don't worry about that.

draconiondevil
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2022 5:08 pm 

I'm 28 and I collect CDs, vinyl and cassettes. I've been collecting CDs since I was 12 or 13 and I have about 600 of them now. I've slowed down with collecting CDs because I started collecting vinyl a few years ago, so now I buy more records than CDs. I've been collecting records since about late 2018 and I have 140-ish now. As for cassettes, I don't have anywhere near as many. About 20 cassettes total.

I Am the Law
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2022 5:22 pm 

Of course they do. Everyone knows that physical sales aren't what they used to be but the idea that nobody buys any physical media anymore is not true, especially among enthusiasts and collectors.

ZenoMarx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2022 5:29 pm 

CreepingDeath16 wrote:
I only download the MP3s because the ~270 kbps Bandcamp downloads are is well enough. Files can get corrupted, books can get eaten by your dog, records can get "borrowed" by your so-called friends... that's just life.
You're obviously right, but I've never lost a record or book to mishap. I've lost a couple tapes to a shit car stereo. I've lost CDs to disc rot. Between the tapes and CDs, maybe ten total? Something like that. I've had maybe 10Xs more problems with digital files and hard drives. The two things really aren't that comparable.

ZenoMarx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2022 5:38 pm 

King_of_Arnor wrote:
When you have large collections, trying to keep them all in FLAC or WAV format is impractical to say the least.
Coming from a time and place when I collected records, tapes, and CDs, taking up an entire bedroom with a collection of music, a 10 ream paper box of hard drives of lossless feels really nice. I think I paid $80 for my last 4TB hard drive, and it probably has 1000 albums in FLAC on it. I should probably know a more precise count, but it has to be at least several hundred albums. I just cannot imagine paying for MP3s. I use them, but I'm not buying them.

sidetracking the thread...sorry. habits and preferences like this interest me.

snowpants
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2022 6:09 pm 

Growing up I always preferred to own CDs. Over the years I've embraced digital and the convenience of streaming. Though when possible I still prefer to buy an album, but budget and space limitations mean I'm a bit more selective. Guess I typically grab my favorite releases in Vinyl (sometimes also CD), some stuff I still enjoy grabbing a CD, though again mostly convenience I just rip the CD or stream it. And then the majority of stuff just Spotify/Bandcamp. Recently been organizing and collecting my Digital collection and listening on Plexamp, it's kind of nice to have some limitations in music and trying to listen to only what I own.

In short, a little bit of both buying and streaming. Maybe one day when I'm working remote I'll be able to spend more time with my physical releases and get a full setup (Vinyl, Cassette, CD). If I could I'd spend nearly all my time listening to music, and maybe finally learning how to play the guitar and write a damn song myself.

Invocation
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2022 6:18 pm 

Lagartija wrote:
Very interesting to see so many people still buying CDs, according to frequent media reports no one buys them anymore.

At this point I feel like metalheads are the main customers for CDs. Occasional music purchasers seem to have switched to vinyl for the novelty factor, but if you buy large amounts of music CDs do have advantages over vinyl (cost, size for storage, shipping....

Prairieshadow
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2022 7:35 am 

Gravetemplar wrote:
I buy all my stuff on CD at some point. It's important for me, since I love having the lyrics and artwork, etc. Also cool to have a back up in case I need to rip my stuff and copy it into my computer again, etc.

This exactly.

Being at the mercy of streaming/download services if I have a drive fail or lose some music is basically not acceptable. I've already experienced an album or two that got removed from a service (I'd even paid for it!) when I went to download it again. At that point I tracked down a physical copy.

~Guest 334273
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2022 8:08 am 

Way less than in my uni years, but i still do, usually every one/two months. I'm more inclined to buy if the band is smaller, where every little bit of support can make some difference.

My car also still has a cd player, so it's fun to have some albums laying around for longer trips :)

HeavenDuff
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2022 10:42 am 

I'm 32, turning 33 this week, and I can only speak for myself, but yes, I still buy records. I try to avoid buying purely digital releases as they are often available on streaming platforms. If I buy a record, I tend to try and get the physicaly release, as I like to collect them. Some albums also aren't on streaming platforms, so buying them is the only way to get to enjoy them. Sometimes I buy digital releases if the album is not availabe any other way. I bought Timeghoul's discography compilation like this before it was put up on Spotify. I also buy digital release by local bands sometimes to support them. Last release I got like this was the 2022 debut record by Sons of Arrakis. It's pretty solid stoner metal/rock with references to Frank Herbert's Dune universe.

EvergreenSherbert
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2022 11:03 am 

HeavenDuff wrote:
I'm 32, turning 33 this week, and I can only speak for myself, but yes, I still buy records. I try to avoid buying purely digital releases as they are often available on streaming platforms. If I buy a record, I tend to try and get the physicaly release, as I like to collect them. Some albums also aren't on streaming platforms, so buying them is the only way to get to enjoy them. Sometimes I buy digital releases if the album is not availabe any other way. I bought Timeghoul's discography compilation like this before it was put up on Spotify. I also buy digital release by local bands sometimes to support them. Last release I got like this was the 2022 debut record by Sons of Arrakis. It's pretty solid stoner metal/rock with references to Frank Herbert's Dune universe.

Happy 33rd birthday

Lagartija
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2022 4:05 pm 

Invocation wrote:
At this point I feel like metalheads are the main customers for CDs. Occasional music purchasers seem to have switched to vinyl for the novelty factor, but if you buy large amounts of music CDs do have advantages over vinyl (cost, size for storage, shipping....

True. I went through several years of crazy vinyl buying (all my favourite classics, basically) and then more recently fell back mainly on CDs for newer stuff (with some exceptions). Also I hate double LPs with just one standard-length album (i.e. without interesting bonus material on the second record) so I'll always take the CD over that.

LilTito wrote:
Well, this thread kind of inspired me. I bought 2 CDs which cost 50 dollars including shipping.. I just can't do this shit on the regular lol i'm too broke

:thumbsup:

Lord_Of_Diamonds
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2022 5:33 pm 

LilTito wrote:

Sweet christ, where are you getting these CDs from? No way they should be costing that much, even new, unless you bought them online and have to pay international shipping fees, which even then shouldn't be too steep. I'd suggest going to a physical music store or a used book store with used CDs in it and poking around there. There's usually a $5 bargain bin or something (if that's not the average price of used CDs there) where you might get lucky.

HeavenDuff
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2022 5:36 pm 

EvergreenSherbert wrote:
HeavenDuff wrote:

Happy 33rd birthday

I'm not ready for it, haha! But thanks :)

kazhard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2022 5:49 pm 

Lord_Of_Diamonds wrote:
Sweet christ, where are you getting these CDs from? No way they should be costing that much, even new, unless you bought them online and have to pay international shipping fees, which even then shouldn't be too steep.

Well take Canada for example, 50$ for two cds ordered online is pretty average, I’d say.

HeavenDuff
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2022 6:35 pm 

kazhard wrote:
Lord_Of_Diamonds wrote:
Sweet christ, where are you getting these CDs from? No way they should be costing that much, even new, unless you bought them online and have to pay international shipping fees, which even then shouldn't be too steep.

Well take Canada for example, 50$ for two cds ordered online is pretty average, I’d say.

Yeah, this. Ordering CDs online for someone who lives in Montreal often becomes quite pricey very quickly.

MDL
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2022 6:41 pm 

I remember that I've worked on a report done by a young user on here, who was probably of the same age as me (24) or younger, I can't recall it clearly. The report was about an "other version" of an album, that was released on a vinyl and that was bought by said user. He noticed some slight differences on the record, hence the report he has made, asking for a new version to be added. Don't remember the outcome of it, however.

MARSDUDE
Shitposter

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2022 10:09 pm 

I'm 31—so maybe you don't consider that younger—I still frequently buy CDs. Actually I probably buy more now than ever. Amazon Prime has been very useful in feeding my addiction. There's something special about the physical object, the art, the booklet—I don't think I'll ever lose my love for that feeling.

Well, I’m glad to see you for who you really are.

Auch
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 1:54 am 

I’m 33 and generally buy CDs. I’m also a frequent cassette buyer as well since a lot of smaller bands / labels seem to like to release cassettes alongside digital copies as they’re cheaper than vinyl and CDs. But yeah, I definitely buy CDs (and sometimes CD + cassette) for my favorite bands. Although I don’t drive often, when I do, all the cars I use still have CD players and experiences with AUX cables are much more spotty. So I prefer CDs. Cassettes are mostly for the novelty factor, but if they’re like $2-$3 more than a digital only copy on Bandcamp, I’ll just buy it to have it in my collection. I’ll buy digital copies on Bandcamp but when I decide to get digital only and avoid physical copies doesn’t have much logic I can glean. It’s kinda just how I feel that day and how dedicated I feel to that band.

Vinyl is rare and only for really nice editions from my favorite bands or if it’s a favorite band that I’d buy a CD or cassette from but vinyl is the only physical format they release. That just tips over into too much space, expense, and fragility for me when I don’t have a turntable or set-up for it (right now).

I don’t use Spotify or anything like that though. I stream new music on Bandcamp or YouTube before purchasing if it’s a band I’ve never heard of. And to make myself seem super old: once I have a digital copy (whether uploading a CD, downloading via Bandcamp, redeeming a cassette / vinyl code, etc.), I put the songs into my hacked iTunes and upload them to my iPod classic I’ve had since 2010.

Last edited by Auch on Tue Sep 27, 2022 10:59 am, edited 2 times in total.
Zephirus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 4:50 am 

i stopped buying CDs a couple of years ago. physical media just gave me no pleasure anymore as i don't have the time to sit and put a CD on and read along with lyrics etc so it was just going on the shelf gathering dust. i guess i would still listen to CDs in the car, but now even my new car doesn't have a CD player!
i now try and buy the odd album from bandcamp. i have my own large MP3 collection and enjoy it
i'd be aware that you can tend not to invest as much time in an album if you can just quickly jump from song to song, whereas if you put a CD on you would tend to listen to the whole thing.
so i do try and commit myself to listening to an album in full several times so i can get into it

Sovl_Ov_Mvn
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2022 4:30 pm 

OH HELL YEAH I DO MY GUY!!

It is so much better to own the physical record that isnt a cd

Norfrisianblackmetal wrote:
Based on the haircut of Will Ramos a ban is justified.

RainyTheBusinessPerson
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2022 6:43 pm 

I do if I like an album enough, I'm really fond of physical media in general, and it just feels so special to have that, I have spent so many times reading the booklets and it was so cool when they had a lot of pictures, little notes about songs and tidbits of band history, the insights on the song writing process and a lot of things that give context to songs, making them sometimes even more impactful.
The pit. You know me. I'll be down front tossin' vagina boys like midgets.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next