Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
King_of_Arnor
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 4:57 pm 

HeavenDuff wrote:
You know, I actually like this kind of attitude that some metalheads have, of just doing whatever and not trying to fit in. The CRJ fan there is typically the kind of person I would actually enjoy talking with at a show. CRJ makes fun pop music, and I know for a fact I would most likely have more enjoyable conversations with a guy who like metal AND pop music then the metalloid guys who go out of there way to constantly tell everyone that pop is garbage and that their music is better, more br00tal, kvlt and trve.

Sounds more like a sense of ironic detachment than actually going against the grain in any real sense. I'm just speculating but I don't think he even expected anyone else at that show to know who CRJ is. It's also possible that he just didn't have another shirt on hand for whatever reason. Maybe he wasn't actually a CRJ fan. You just can't really tell by someone's shirt alone.

HeavenDuff
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 5:07 pm 

King_of_Arnor wrote:
HeavenDuff wrote:
You know, I actually like this kind of attitude that some metalheads have, of just doing whatever and not trying to fit in. The CRJ fan there is typically the kind of person I would actually enjoy talking with at a show. CRJ makes fun pop music, and I know for a fact I would most likely have more enjoyable conversations with a guy who like metal AND pop music then the metalloid guys who go out of there way to constantly tell everyone that pop is garbage and that their music is better, more br00tal, kvlt and trve.

Sounds more like a sense of ironic detachment than actually going against the grain in any real sense. I'm just speculating but I don't think he even expected anyone else at that show to know who CRJ is. It's also possible that he just didn't have another shirt on hand for whatever reason. Maybe he wasn't actually a CRJ fan. You just can't really tell by someone's shirt alone.

I didn't say or imply that it was cool that he was going against the grain, or that this was some sort of statement or whatever. Maybe that's what he was doing and it was a very deliberate act, which I wouldn't mind either. But if you see someone wearing an artist's shirt, the most logical explanation is that person actually enjoys the music of that artist, and I mean, you can just ask them if you're not sure and you'll have an answer.

Anyway, my point was not so much that we necessarly have to go against the grain or try to standout, but rather that it's just plain better, in my opinion, to just go there, be yourself, and not try so hard to fit in. And yes, I'm much more likely to get along better with a metalhead who is comfortable wearing pop artists t-shirts at metal concerts then NPCs spouting trve kvlt propaganda against "posers".

Ace_Rimmer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 5:12 pm 

I knew a kid back in the day that wore Megadeth t-shirts despite not liking any metal bands, just because he thought they looked cool.

Atomic wedgies were applied.

j/k about the wedgies.

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 6:09 pm 

HeavenDuff wrote:
Hexenmacht46290 wrote:
Agreed. On a more dastardly note, we have people actually out here enjoying hyper polished shit like modern Arch Enemy and Sabaton. Something about the fanbases for these "new faces of the metal mainstream" piss me off. Bring back poser bashing.

This has got me thinking, we threaten the falses, that they’ll be burned and died, if they entry, but do they ever try to entry? I don’t think Arch Enemy is interesting, and I support the Sabaton bashing, because I think they’re lame. But, it kind of seems to me, like those edgelords, who talk about edgy social Darwinism, as a moral necessity, when they live in an amoral universe, that just happens to (mostly)go that way in the first place, and then turn out to be hypocrites in real life. Maybe we don’t need to scare the posers away, because they don’t want to entry our styles of music and our scene in the first place? Maybe they’re just scared off, or uninterested? :???:

Underground scenes, bands, and labels persevere. And the bands closer to the mainstream, that water it down, or were never true in the first place, don’t seem to be forcing a change, in the sound of underground metal. Is metal just too underground and elitist, for the falses to want to entry? Do bands that, rightly or wrongly, labeled as “false metal,” provide a valuable service, to the more true metal world? By facilitating a path, from more accessible music, to similar music, that is more underground, and has the integrity to remain its own thing, without even caring about being mainstream? These are interesting questions, and I think they are worth considering.

This is an interesting post. Well writen and actually thought out, and I commend you for this. It's always nice to have more thought provoking discussions in here :)

As for the questions you are addressing more specifically, on the need to "protect the scene" from posers, aka what some people like to call gatekeeping, I'm going to go ahead and give an annoying answer by saying that some of it is important, while a lot of it is completely useless posturing by people who take an elitist stance, while usually having incredibly generic and stereotypical tastes themselves, although within the realm of metal subgenres and their associated scenes. I'm thinking about, for instance, the typical black metal elitist, who by gatekeeping so hard actually becomes a poser himself. Someone who is just posturing, while pretending to be doing so to protect the purity of the scene. A lot of black metal elitists become stereotypes of an extremely conservative mindset which is ironic considering how the genre originated.

"Protecting the scene" is relatively important when their is an actual threat, usually coming from the more mainstream and commercial subgenres of either metal or core. Around the mid 2000's and continuing throughout the 2010's there was a very real over-abundance of deathcore bands on death metal shows. Death metal, being a well-established genre, but not part of the mainstream, was a bit less commercially succesful then deathcore, which was having a big popularity boom at the time. And yes, at that point death metal fans were very annoyed by this "invasion" of our scene, because it actually threatened death metal in a way.

However, asking girls who wear bands t's to "Name three songs." is toxic gatekeeping and it never will not be toxic gatekeeping.

As the person who blurted out the initial remark over a year ago half expecting the thread to just get locked soon afterward, I was going to jump in and explain it more but you kinda did it for me. It does depend on what exactly is getting gatekept. A lot of remarks about protecting the scene in this very thread tend to be vague as fuck (as was my own aside from trashing Burzum's music) and it really needs to have a more useful focus instead of just being a locus for annoying try hard thrash metal fans or annoying try hard black metal fans or annoying try hard death metal fans. For example, nazi punks, chuds, and their apologists absolutely should be gatekept the fuck out the scene.

LithoJazzoSphere
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 6:10 pm 

HeavenDuff wrote:
"Protecting the scene" is relatively important when their is an actual threat

The threat of what, exactly? That bands you like might go on tour with bands you don't? That people who normally like different music than you do might also get into the music you like? It's all silliness to me at, at best. The idea of trying to maintain "purity" and keep people out who aren't exactly like you is the sort of reasoning that powers more unsavory behavior and movements too. At best it's just more toxicity, for a scene that has supposedly become more "inclusive".

Hexenmacht46290
Has a GED in Gamercide

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 7:33 pm 

King_of_Arnor wrote:
It's also possible that he just didn't have another shirt on hand for whatever reason. Maybe he wasn't actually a CRJ fan. You just can't really tell by someone's shirt alone.

I don’t think so, because I think those kind of pop singers only play stadium shows, so the shirts are really expensive. He might be a poser though, who bought it off of t-shirt slayer, or just bought it at hot topic, or maybe it was a bootleg?
With my weed, I smoke every day
If I'm not high, the hate will escape
I smoke and smoke, stoned as a fuck
Weed is my life, weed is my love…
-John Gallagher

HeavenDuff
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 7:51 pm 

LithoJazzoSphere wrote:
HeavenDuff wrote:

The threat of what, exactly? That bands you like might go on tour with bands you don't? That people who normally like different music than you do might also get into the music you like? It's all silliness to me at, at best. The idea of trying to maintain "purity" and keep people out who aren't exactly like you is the sort of reasoning that powers more unsavory behavior and movements too. At best it's just more toxicity, for a scene that has supposedly become more "inclusive".

Why would I care if people who don't normally like different music than I do might also get into music that I like? What does that have to do with anything I said?

I thought my deathcore invasion example was clear enough. At peak popularity, deathcore was starting to take over death metal bands on the line-ups for festivals decidated to death metal such as the Summer Slaughter Tour. The same was happening at metal festivals in general, getting more and more metalcore, deathcore and whatnot on the bills. The logic behind these decisions for promoters was to make more money, bring more people to festivals, which I get. But deathcore doesn't automatically fit stylistically with death metal just because it has growls here and some heavy riffing there. From experience, I can tell that the people who hate deathcore the most are death metal fans. Going to a death metal concert and having to suffer through garbage brodude tough guy deathcore was insufferable, not to mention the fact that they often attracted a crowd of gymbros and other champions of toxic masculinity.

You've been in metal for a while now, right? You remember that time period when the metal scene was flooded by -core versions of all metal subgenres. Thrashcore, deathcore, metalcore and whatnot.

It's not just about "bands you like might go on tour with bands you don't", it's about commercial/profit related decisions threatening the artistic integrity of a scene.

Now that the deathcore fad is over, it's not really concerning anymore, but I remember this really being a big issue in the mid 2000's.

By the way, I also kind of briefly addressed this issue with words just being jumbled together and losing their meaning, but I obviously don't care much if people who usually aren't really into death, black, thrash metal or whatnot start coming to gigs of bands by these genres. I actually welcome hybrid and crossover genres bringing different scenes together, like sludge does for hardcore and metal, or like crossover thrash does. I love that bands like Messa and Windhand, attract Chelsea Wolfe fans or vice versa. My comment was not so much about the people, but about some more specific issues that the scene had to deal with in the past, and that still sometimes have to deal with.

I'm all for inclusivity, but when a scene gets taken over for almost purely commercial reasons, it's not about inclusivity, it's about profit.

LongHairIsSoFuckingCool
Edgy Metal Noob Catchphrase Dispenser

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 8:24 pm 

Yeah Lithojazzosphere is right

Fans of Der Stürmer and Neckbeard Deathcamp should just suck it up and go to concerts where they play together. Totally. Makes perfect sense.

recyclage wrote:
Anyone who writes "The Deftones" isn't trustworthy.

Red_Death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2022 6:14 am 

yungstirjoey666 wrote:
Again, I highly doubt this is anywhere near an "unpopular opinion," but I believe that melodic death metal isn't death metal anymore. Maybe some bands like At The Gates, but Arch Enemy, Children of Bodom, and Aephanemer certainly aren't. I know death metal is very versatile as a music genre, but I believe there's more to it than just growling (eg. blast beats, darker tone, music complexity, tremolo picking).

It depends on how you view popularity and relative lack thereof.

I'd say that in a broader view, this seems to be a relatively unpopular opinion (basing this on years of interactions on platforms like FB, both in general metal groups and "specialized" ones catering to melodeath fans, among others). I think it's a case of a term just sticking to a very broad group of bands, maybe most of all because there doesn't seem to be a handy alternative (how would you characterize an album like Colony?). People seem to take the term at face value, and there's usually confusion and misunderstandings when stuff like this is raised. They tend to stick with the term regardless.

In general, I agree with this take, but there definitely are bands and albums that could be sensibly called melodic death metal (and there's a grey area of pretty aggressive bands that are still distinct in a lot of ways from death metal).

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2022 11:03 am 

Are we really still talking about "protecting the scene" and pontificating on band shirts and the reasons why people wear them in 2022?

Just seems silly to me. It's all just music. Integrity doesn't come from what genre you play... it's also totally fine and cool for people who aren't knee deep in the scene fans to come and see shows. Probably advisory actually - the more people hear it the better.

And I only heard a few Carly Rae Jepsen tunes. I'd take that any day over Ensiferum, Amon Amarth, that kinda crap.

TheCloudMinder
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2022 11:14 am 

@Empyreal

To you it's "just music", but to some of us it is so much more.

Metal to me is a way of life.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2022 11:19 am 

Weird way to interpret that if you know me or my tastes at all. I love finding new metal and going out to the fringes of it all. But music is great because there's so much of it to try. It's much more interesting to me to really challenge myself and try new things of all kinds.

What's the "way of life" to you? I'm not trying to be rude here, but don't you automatically dismiss anything with harsh vocals? And I remember you couldn't stand Mark Shelton's vocals either. It's fine to have preferences, but I guess I just don't see how it's that big of a thing for you if you're so easily casting off big parts just inside the genre. Not trying to gatekeep. Honestly curious. Most posts I see from you are just being defensive about being allowed to hate harsh vocals.

thrashmaniac87
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2022 11:34 am 

LongHairIsSoFuckingCool wrote:
Yeah Lithojazzosphere is right

Fans of Der Stürmer and Neckbeard Deathcamp should just suck it up and go to concerts where they play together. Totally. Makes perfect sense.

You know damn well that's not what he meant. This type of insincere arguing needs to be left in the past. This thread has become so embarrassing with you guys unironically talking about 'protecting the scene', posers, and complaining about t-shirts. If you guys were 14 it would be funny, but you're adults so it's just sad.

untappd: patrick_g

MorbidEngel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2022 12:06 pm 

Don't feed the troll

LongHairIsSoFuckingCool
Edgy Metal Noob Catchphrase Dispenser

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2022 12:09 pm 

I don't know why not wanting to limp through 20 chugcore bands to see what you actually wanna see is somehow such an irrational opinion...

recyclage wrote:
Anyone who writes "The Deftones" isn't trustworthy.

King_of_Arnor
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2022 3:19 pm 

LithoJazzoSphere wrote:
HeavenDuff wrote:

The threat of what, exactly? That bands you like might go on tour with bands you don't? That people who normally like different music than you do might also get into the music you like? It's all silliness to me at, at best.

Empyreal wrote:
It's all just music. Integrity doesn't come from what genre you play... it's also totally fine and cool for people who aren't knee deep in the scene fans to come and see shows. Probably advisory actually - the more people hear it the better.

Empyreal wrote:
I love finding new metal and going out to the fringes of it all. But music is great because there's so much of it to try. It's much more interesting to me to really challenge myself and try new things of all kinds.

It's great to explore different genres of music and whatnot, but IMO they're best enjoyed within their own context. The example HeavenDuff brought up with deathcore and metalcore bands colonising metal festivals a while ago is what he seems to be primarily concerned with, rather than the possibility of metal fans getting into pop, hip hop or whatever (and vice versa). At the end of the day those are their own genres with their own fanbases who have their own preferences and standards, and if metalheads want to really get involved in those scenes, they'll adapt to those standards out of commitment. The main concern HeavenDuff is echoing is when bands whose metalness is debatable try to claim a stake within the metal scene, without making an effort to adapt to it, which in the case he mentioned led to actual metal bands getting marginalised at their own festivals. Of course it's questionable whether or not that's still a valid concern to have, or whether metal is flexible enough to accommodate all the nu-, -core, djent and avant stuff. Or maybe it's not the 2000s and there isn't such a need to gatekeep anymore. I'm not absolutely on one side of this debate here but I'm just attempting to illustrate the rationale behind wanting to maintain standards in your scene. Not everything that sounds remotely heavy can or should be metal, which may seem like intolerance or elitism, but its non-metal qualities don't make it any worse, that just makes it music to be enjoyed in a different context from metal.

Hexenmacht46290
Has a GED in Gamercide

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2022 4:13 pm 

thrashmaniac87 wrote:
This thread has become so embarrassing with you guys unironically talking about 'protecting the scene', posers, and complaining about t-shirts. If you guys were 14 it would be funny, but you're adults so it's just sad.

I brought up t-shirts, to point out someone wearing a pop singer’s shirt, at an obscure metal band’s show, and said that he was in the circle pit, and that he didn’t look like a poser to me. So, I was making the inverse of the usual argument. I think metal isn’t something normies want to appropriate, but I can feel the annoyance, that a crossover thrash, or a death metal band, that I like, might be touring with a bunch of metal core bands, of a style I don’t like. We don’t need to protect it from Ghost or five finger death punch, because those people probably don’t come to shows that are in something smaller than a stadium anyways, they don’t know underground metal exists.
Empyreal wrote:
Integrity doesn't come from what genre you play... it's also totally fine and cool for people who aren't knee deep in the scene fans to come and see shows. Probably advisory actually - the more people hear it the better…And I only heard a few Carly Rae Jepsen tunes. I'd take that any day over Ensiferum, Amon Amarth, that kinda crap.

For a second, I thought you were talking about Integrity, the band. I was going to bring them up, as an example. I dislike most metal core, but make an exception for them, because they sound very different. Nowadays, they play underground metal festivals, but if I saw them back in the day, in the 90s-00s, it would probably be a different crowd, in the audience. More of the douche hardcore scene, where someone wants to start a fight with you, for no reason. Which is kind of what people are speculating about here, but different. I’ll agree with you, kind of, that good pop singers are better than mediocre or bad pop metal. Some of those mainstream European bands, that play all those festivals, are more of a form of pop music, in my opinion. So it’s especially hypocritical, for some of those fans to adopt some true metal elitist attitude.
With my weed, I smoke every day
If I'm not high, the hate will escape
I smoke and smoke, stoned as a fuck
Weed is my life, weed is my love…
-John Gallagher

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2022 6:11 pm 

King_of_Arnor wrote:
It's great to explore different genres of music and whatnot, but IMO they're best enjoyed within their own context. The example HeavenDuff brought up with deathcore and metalcore bands colonising metal festivals a while ago is what he seems to be primarily concerned with, rather than the possibility of metal fans getting into pop, hip hop or whatever (and vice versa). At the end of the day those are their own genres with their own fanbases who have their own preferences and standards, and if metalheads want to really get involved in those scenes, they'll adapt to those standards out of commitment. The main concern HeavenDuff is echoing is when bands whose metalness is debatable try to claim a stake within the metal scene, without making an effort to adapt to it, which in the case he mentioned led to actual metal bands getting marginalised at their own festivals. Of course it's questionable whether or not that's still a valid concern to have, or whether metal is flexible enough to accommodate all the nu-, -core, djent and avant stuff. Or maybe it's not the 2000s and there isn't such a need to gatekeep anymore. I'm not absolutely on one side of this debate here but I'm just attempting to illustrate the rationale behind wanting to maintain standards in your scene. Not everything that sounds remotely heavy can or should be metal, which may seem like intolerance or elitism, but its non-metal qualities don't make it any worse, that just makes it music to be enjoyed in a different context from metal.

A lot of this stuff, metalcore and deathcore and stuff, is close enough that it's gonna get lumped in with metal on big enough shows. Most people don't care all that much. I was at a show last night where Black Lung, which is a band on this site, was playing amid some Converge-esque metalcore and whatnot. It's just heavy music and some people are just broadly into that. I'd count myself there these days. Doesn't stop me from cranking up a Skullview or Twisted Tower Dire album anyway.

I think at this point it's not even about some commercialization anymore, there's no big industry behind these bands. Like it or not they really believe in what they are playing. As for stuff like pop, hip hop, etc, well no show producer would put those acts on the same bill anyway unless they're insane. Fears of "colonizing" all this seem silly to me I guess. Just leave the room and drink somewhere if you don't like a band on a bill. There's room for all these bands to exist.

Quote:
For a second, I thought you were talking about Integrity, the band. I was going to bring them up, as an example. I dislike most metal core, but make an exception for them, because they sound very different. Nowadays, they play underground metal festivals, but if I saw them back in the day, in the 90s-00s, it would probably be a different crowd, in the audience. More of the douche hardcore scene, where someone wants to start a fight with you, for no reason. Which is kind of what people are speculating about here, but different. I’ll agree with you, kind of, that good pop singers are better than mediocre or bad pop metal. Some of those mainstream European bands, that play all those festivals, are more of a form of pop music, in my opinion. So it’s especially hypocritical, for some of those fans to adopt some true metal elitist attitude.

I just keep bashing the stupid festival types of metal acts because it's a way to show the nuance here. "Gatekeeping" doesn't have to mean "metal vs non metal."

Waltz_of_Ghouls
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2022 10:53 pm 

I don't know if it's really an unpopular opinion, but I have zero interest in demos and/or splits. If a band only has a few demos out, I don't even bother. I prefer waiting for a full-length. 99% the demo will sound like ass anyway. And yes I like black metal and I am used to the lo-fi aspect of the genre but even then, once it gets into the really raw stuff, I lose interest.
Fire walk with me"

thereflectingskin
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2022 12:20 am 

That's how I used to be.

Gravetemplar
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2022 6:09 am 

Waltz_of_Ghouls wrote:
I don't know if it's really an unpopular opinion, but I have zero interest in demos and/or splits. If a band only has a few demos out, I don't even bother. I prefer waiting for a full-length. 99% the demo will sound like ass anyway. And yes I like black metal and I am used to the lo-fi aspect of the genre but even then, once it gets into the really raw stuff, I lose interest.

I'm the same unless said demos are really good and lengthy. If they only have a couple of demos, a split and an EP I'll probably wait for the LP.

Paka01
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2022 6:29 am 

For the past 6-7 years I listen to Black Album / Load / Reload more than the first four Metallica albums. Don't get me wrong, I love first four to death, but BA/L/RL sound so fresh, energetic and addictive, I just can't get enough of them. They offer so many great songs.
I would pay a lot of money to see Metallica do tour where they play songs only from those albums (+ Garage Inc).

CannibalCorpse
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2022 7:40 am 

Megadeth's "Youthanasia" basically has no weak songs and "United Abominations" almost follows suit with only one garbage track (the "A Toute Le Monde" remake).

I mean, Megadeth has a fair share of duds in their discography, but these two are actually among my favourites of theirs. I tend to forget most of "Peace Sells" after a while and only return to selected (career highlight-) songs off "So Far...", "Rust in Peace", "Countdown..." and "The System has Failed" from time to time, but these other two albums...are peak Megadeth to me.

Adder's Fork - These Mountains Cast Great Shadows - NEW!
Adder's Fork + Dea Artio/In Dornen/Winter's Breath - A Gathering of Four - Split - NEW!
Adder's Fork - Website
Reviewer for Antichrist Magazine

Slam_Grinder
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2022 8:01 am 

In Flames make better Alternative Metal than they have made Melodic Death Metal.
First 4 Pantera albums are by far better than everything after Cowboys from Hell

CannibalCorpse
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2022 12:39 pm 

Slam_Grinder wrote:
In Flames make better Alternative Metal than they have made Melodic Death Metal.

Is this really how you want to kick off your journey through this forum? ;-)

Seriously, how can you say that.

Adder's Fork + Dea Artio/In Dornen/Winter's Breath - A Gathering of Four - Split - NEW!
Adder's Fork - Website

Slam_Grinder
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2022 1:50 pm 

CannibalCorpse wrote:
Slam_Grinder wrote:

Yes, it's called musical taste. I mean you think Youthanasia is great, I think it's Megadeth's worst, but I second what you think about UA.
I can think about 10 other melodic death metal bands I'd rather listen to than 90s In Flames, but when it comes to their newer stuff I don't know many bands from that genre who make as good or better music than them.

I have another unpopular opinion, but I don't want someone to burn down my house, so I keep it to myself.

Chaosmonger
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2022 3:39 pm 

it's weird to me that Youthanasia sort of has this "actually it's good and better than Countdown" reputation these days. It's one of the most mediocre nothing albums I've heard. Every song is in the same plodding, play-it-safe tempo.

CreepingDeath16
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2022 4:15 pm 

My unpopular opinion: way too much Megadeth in this fucking thread.

LilTito
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2022 6:00 pm 

CreepingDeath16 wrote:
My unpopular opinion: way too much Megadeth in this fucking thread.

90% of this thread is just boomers discussing their favorite legacy bands

Benedict Donald
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2022 6:17 pm 

Slam_Grinder wrote:
CannibalCorpse wrote:
Slam_Grinder wrote:

Yes, it's called musical taste. I mean you think Youthanasia is great,

Slam Grinder has a point here...

CannibalCorpse
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2022 12:45 am 

Apparently, I caught the wrong audience here ^^

I don't mind the plodding tempo on Youthanasia at all, it's a different beast and oozes 80s heavy metal instead of thrash - I certainly understand how that could throw people off, but I dig it.

The boomer tag is way overused these days. Should we rather talk about why most post-black metal bands sound so samey or what's the latest fad I've been missing?

Adder's Fork - Website

Speed Metal Terror
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2022 5:59 am 

It's always interesting to hear people whine about ageism and then turn around and start the boomer shenanigans.

Spiner202
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2022 9:26 am 

I'm not sure this band is popular enough for this to be considered an unpopular opinion, but I recently bought all 4 Conception reissues, having never heard the band before. From many of the discussions I've read, people seem to consider Parallel Minds and In Your Multitude to be their two best works. I have the opposite opinion: The Last Sunset and Flow are my favourites. The Last Sunset has all of the cool flamenco parts that almost never show up again over the next 3 albums (I think In Your Multitude has it once?), and the songs are more memorable. Flow doesn't even sound like the same band, but I really appreciate its more straight forward rocking sensibilities.

Truthfully, I don't love any of these albums and am not the biggest Roy Khan fan (which might be the bigger unpopular opinion), but I found it interesting that most people seem to prefer the inverse of the Conception albums that I like best.

ThePoop
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2022 9:30 am 

LilTito wrote:

Dude, you're on an internet forum dedicated to underground metal in 2022.

Anyways.... here's some more boomer hot takes about legacy bands... Not sure if this is unpopular, but I suspect it might be. I think Metallica's instrumentals are boring. I am not opposed to instrumental tracks at all. But in general I am skipping "(Anesthesia) Pulling Teeth", "The Call of Ktulu" and "Orion" like every time.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2022 9:31 am 

Thinking liking older music = you're a boomer is the dumbest shit ever and we should just quit paying attention to their posts. So silly.

DoomMetalAlchemist
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2022 9:32 am 

ThePoop wrote:
LilTito wrote:

Dude, you're on an internet forum dedicated to underground metal in 2022.

Anyways.... here's some more boomer hot takes about legacy bands... Not sure if this is unpopular, but I suspect it might be. I think Metallica's instrumentals are boring. I am not opposed to instrumental tracks at all. But in general I am skipping "(Anesthesia) Pulling Teeth", "The Call of Ktulu" and "Orion" like every time.

And To Live is to Die?

Benedict Donald
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2022 10:09 am 

ThePoop wrote:
LilTito wrote:
. Not sure if this is unpopular, but I suspect it might be. I think Metallica's instrumentals are boring. I am not opposed to instrumental tracks at all. But in general I am skipping "(Anesthesia) Pulling Teeth", "The Call of Ktulu" and "Orion" like every time.

I'd say it's indeed more likely to be an unpopular opinion, than not.

thrashmaniac87
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2022 10:37 am 

Benedict Donald wrote:
ThePoop wrote:
LilTito wrote:
. Not sure if this is unpopular, but I suspect it might be. I think Metallica's instrumentals are boring. I am not opposed to instrumental tracks at all. But in general I am skipping "(Anesthesia) Pulling Teeth", "The Call of Ktulu" and "Orion" like every time.

I'd say it's indeed more likely to be an unpopular opinion, than not.

I usually skip them too. Call of Ktulu is the best of the three but it’s still pretty dull.

untappd: patrick_g

Benedict Donald
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2022 10:53 am 

thrashmaniac87 wrote:
I usually skip them too. Call of Ktulu is the best of the three but it’s still pretty dull.

I consider "Orion" and "Ktulu" to be highlights of their respective albums. I also love "Pulling Teeth"...love blasting it at maximum volume.
"To Live" is my least fav of the bunch but still an essential element of "Justice", IMO.
But I can see people not being enamored with these tunes.

Ace_Rimmer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2022 10:54 am 

Paka01 wrote:
For the past 6-7 years I listen to Black Album / Load / Reload more than the first four Metallica albums. Don't get me wrong, I love first four to death, but BA/L/RL sound so fresh, energetic and addictive, I just can't get enough of them. They offer so many great songs.
I would pay a lot of money to see Metallica do tour where they play songs only from those albums (+ Garage Inc).

Yeah, I'd like to hear a tour playing mostly Load and Re-Load cuts.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 104, 105, 106, 107, 108, 109, 110 ... 221  Next