Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
77hjrttfred
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2023 2:07 am 

A good example is The Prisoner from Iron Maiden based on the BBC TV show. Here is the beginning quote:

We want information, information, information.
Who are you?
The new number two.
Who is number one?
You are number six.
I am not a number. I am a free man!

I just was listening to Bloody Blasphemy from God Dethroned. They use one from Death Wish (Maybe DW 2 or 3) for the opening song Serpent King:

Bronson: Do you believe in Jesus?
Guy: Yes, I do
Bronson: Well, you’re gonna meet him.

Then you hear a gunshot.

I noticed that the 1986 movie The Name of The Rose is quite popular. I think I have at least 4 albums that use a quote from that movie. I also have a number of songs that use a quote from Patton (1970).

What are your choices?

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2023 6:58 am 

When it comes to metal, I can't really think of any samples that actually add to the song. Like that bit in The Prisoner just feels like a pointless timewaster before an otherwise great song to me, and I know I've heard a few bands use that "He is a god now..." speech from Caligula but the only one I can remember right now is Arch Enemy and it goes on for like a full minute and holy shit get to the point already.

Some make me laugh though, like the clips from Pink Flamingos that Skinless used a few times (most notably on Pool of Stool ("Condone first degree murder! Advocate cannibalism! EAT SHIT!" *absolutely feral blasting and gurgling about poop))
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

nightbreaker33
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2023 7:00 am 

In Mamorlis' "The Kurgan", there is that line recited in the first Highlander movie where Christopher Lambert meets the Kurgan inside the church. "It's better to burn out than to fade away *grunts*". It is towards the end of the song.

Also doesn't Starlight use the silver shamrock song from Helloween 3: SOTW as its intro?

TitaniumNK
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2023 7:08 am 

You ask me if I have a God complex. Let me tell you something: I am God! - Alec Baldwin's line from the movie "Malice", kicking off Persuader's song "Twisted Eyes" and the album When Eden Burns.

Gravetemplar
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2023 7:26 am 

Neurosis use of samplers on their 90s albums is impeccable.

Lost (from The Sheltering Sky, In the Year of the Pig and Presumed Innocent)

Are you lost?
Yes

Because we don’t know when we will die, we get to think of life as an inexhaustible well
Yet everything happens only a certain number of times, and a very small number, really
How many more times will you remember a certain afternoon of your childhood, some afternoon that is so deeply a part of your being that you can’t even conceive of your life without it?
Perhaps four, five times more, perhaps not even that
How many more times will you watch the full moon rise?
Perhaps twenty
And yet it all seems limitless

I would remind you that scripture tells us, that blessed are the peacemakers
Yet it takes a lot of doing to make peace
It takes a good deal of hard work, building like a mighty cathedral stone by stone, block by block

Become the Ocean (from Human Survival and Consciousness Evolution)

We even ignited the first atomic bomb on the day commemorating the transfiguration of Christ, thus unconsciously signaling that we intended likewise to transform the world, only not after the light but after darkness - with a blast that burned several times hotter than the surface of the sun

Burning Flesh In Year Of Pig (from In the Year of the Pig)

The most dramatic was one day in Saigon when a buddhist parade started of...
All the yellow-robed priests marching along and then, they stepped forward
A very frail old man in his seventies who turned out to be this priest Quang Duc
He assumed the lotus posture, another priest stepped forward and poured gasoline on him...
And went suddendly towered in flams
The priests and the nuns in the audience moaned and prostrated themselves toward this burning figure...
and he sat there unflinchingly, and the smell of gasoline and the burning flesh in the air
Attendance...
people thought they saw the face of Buddha at the top of him...
that night.

ChineseDownhill
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2023 7:56 am 

"The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist."

The Usual Suspects quoted at the beginning of Suffocation's Funeral Inception. If you're going to do this type of thing, IMO that's the way - something cool and memorable that doesn't drag on for entire paragraphs.

Edit - Also some of Doug Bradley's appearances in Cradle of Filth songs contain Hellraiser dialogue. Recent example is Sisters of the Mist, probably my fave from their newest album (despite being a bonus track).

aloof
avant-gardener

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2023 8:10 am 

theatre of tragedy arranged half the song around the quotes... 4:02

77hjrttfred
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2023 8:23 am 

I've always liked the speech used at the beginning of Civil War from Guns n' Roses from the movie Cool Hand Luke. Here is part of the speech:

What we've got here is failure to communicate. Some men, you just can't reach. So you get what we had here last week -- which is the way he wants it. Well, he gets it.

Another sample, albeit from a real person, is a a song from the Brazilian thrash group Violator. The use a sample from Malcolm X - The price of freedom is death on the song Echoes of silence.

Last edited by 77hjrttfred on Fri Mar 31, 2023 8:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
LordStenhammar
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2023 8:30 am 

Black Dawn had this and other horror movie samples on their Blood for Satan album. But this one was especially cool. From The Exorcist 3:

"I believe in death. I believe in disease. I believe in injustice and inhumanity, torture and anger and hate... I believe in murder. I believe in pain. I believe in cruelty and infidelity. I believe in slime and stink and every crawling, putrid thing... every possible ugliness and corruption, you son of a bitch. I believe... in you."

Last edited by LordStenhammar on Fri Mar 31, 2023 8:33 am, edited 3 times in total.
jimbies
Noose Springsteen

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2023 8:31 am 

VERY Obscure one in terms of band AND film, but in Vanishing Point's ballad "Dancing With The Devil", there is an audio clip from the 1951 Bette Davis film "Payment On Demand" and seems to work really well.

Also kind of have a soft spot for all the Magnolia samples in Dream Theater's "Honor Thy Father".

King_of_Arnor
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2023 8:42 am 

The intro of 'Hypnotised' from Heathen's Victims of Deception has excerpts of a speech from Jim Jones (the Jonestown leader). Such as:
"I don't want you to worship me, I want you to be like I am, I want you to become what I am"
"If you don't want to go this route, then go to hell where you want to but don't bother me"

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2023 9:00 am 

I could be wrong on who it was specifically but I think that Hypnotized sample was Jimmy Swaggart or one of those other televangelist faith healers that were all the rage in the 80s. Definitely wasn't Jim Jones though. That motherfucker sounded like Droopy Dog
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

Defenestrated
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2023 9:00 am 

Neurosis is a good pick.

Probably an obvious choice, but the beginning and (moreso) the end of None So Vile are tastefully brief and kinda fun.

One otherwise enjoyable album that definitely needs to trim the samples is Impetigo's Horror Of The Zombies. On Ultimo Mondo Cannibale, they're pushing it, too, but it doesn't quite wreck the album for me.

King_of_Arnor
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2023 9:13 am 

BastardHead wrote:
I could be wrong on who it was specifically but I think that Hypnotized sample was Jimmy Swaggart or one of those other televangelist faith healers that were all the rage in the 80s. Definitely wasn't Jim Jones though. That motherfucker sounded like Droopy Dog

Huh, could've sworn it was Jim Jones. Wikipedia says as much: "The intro of "Hypnotized" features excerpts from a speech by cult leader Jim Jones." Though I don't know if that was ever officially confirmed.

77hjrttfred
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2023 9:15 am 

There is one that has been bugging me. I know I have heard it on at least a couple of songs, but I don't remember. It is this quote from the movie Stigmata (1999) -

How's your faith these days father?
How is your faith these days?
Is this what you call your fucking God?

Can anyone remember what song?

By the way, is that Vincent Price movie posted above The Masque of the Red Death?

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2023 9:50 am 

King_of_Arnor wrote:
BastardHead wrote:

Huh, could've sworn it was Jim Jones. Wikipedia says as much: "The intro of "Hypnotized" features excerpts from a speech by cult leader Jim Jones." Though I don't know if that was ever officially confirmed.

Huh, maybe I'm wrong then. I feel pretty confident that that isn't his voice (not Droopy Dog enough, and pre-amphetamines, before his voice got all fucked, he didn't sound like that either) but The Laziest Google I just did only found one other person also claiming it was Jones so who knows.

lordcatfish
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2023 9:58 am 

Dismember
Let the Napalm Rain
"I love the smell of napalm in the morning" then boom, right into that great riff. Pretty sure other bands have used this quote (probably Sodom)

Children of Bodom have quite a lot - all well done in my opinion:
The Nail
Intro - "Your eyes are full of hate 41, that's good. Hate keeps a man alive... it gives him strength" (Ben-Hur), which is followed by a laughter sample (A Nightmare on Elm Street)

Warheart
Intro - "From now on we are enemies... you and I" (Amadeus)

Follow the Reaper
Intro - "Death be not proud, though some have called thee mighty and dreadful... art not so" (The Exorcist III)
Outro - "I was only 21 when I died" (The Exorcist III)

Taste of My Scythe
Intro - "And rip and cut, and mutilate the innocent, and his friends, and again, and again, and on and on" (The Exorcist III)

Needled 24/7
Outro - "Death? What do you all know about death?" (Platoon)

Bodom Beach Terror outro into Angels Don't Kill intro
"My pain is constant and sharp, and I do not hope for a better world for anyone. In fact, I want my pain to be inflicted on others. I want no one to escape." (American Psycho)

I'm sure there's a song where they have a Children of the Corn sample (Seize him! Punish him! Cut him down, I command you) but I can't find which one it is. I think it's from later in their catalogue.

Miikja
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2023 1:48 pm 

My favourite movie sample use is by Brutal Truth for Walking Corpse. "I hope you make sure we're properly dead before you start...!"
Skinny Puppy used the some soundbyte in their song "Testure". It was taken from the 1982 animation film Plague Dogs.

HighwayCorsair
Knows a guy

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2023 1:59 pm 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YyPTttZBfXI

The way that the sample on this is intermingled with the actual music with the singer trailing the sample is fucking sick.
Owner Nameless Grave Records.

HeavenDuff
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2023 2:13 pm 

lordcatfish wrote:
Children of Bodom have quite a lot - all well done in my opinion:
The Nail
Intro - "Your eyes are full of hate 41, that's good. Hate keeps a man alive... it gives him strength" (Ben-Hur), which is followed by a laughter sample (A Nightmare on Elm Street)

Warheart
Intro - "From now on we are enemies... you and I" (Amadeus)

Follow the Reaper
Intro - "Death be not proud, though some have called thee mighty and dreadful... art not so" (The Exorcist III)
Outro - "I was only 21 when I died" (The Exorcist III)

Taste of My Scythe
Intro - "And rip and cut, and mutilate the innocent, and his friends, and again, and again, and on and on" (The Exorcist III)

Needled 24/7
Outro - "Death? What do you all know about death?" (Platoon)

Bodom Beach Terror outro into Angels Don't Kill intro
"My pain is constant and sharp, and I do not hope for a better world for anyone. In fact, I want my pain to be inflicted on others. I want no one to escape." (American Psycho)

Yeah, I came here to mention some CoB. I particularly love the one from American Psycho.

Also, not an actual quote, but still a sample, on Deadnight Warrior, right at the beginning there is a sample of like eerie music followed by Pennywise's laughter, taken from the 1990 adaptation of IT.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2023 2:49 pm 

aloof wrote:
theatre of tragedy arranged half the song around the quotes... 4:02

This is precisely what I came in here to post. On the same album, they also put in a sample of Vincent Price from The Last Man on Earth at 3:54 of "Fair and 'Guiling Copesmate Death".

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

kazhard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2023 3:28 pm 

The first song on Rise of the Imperial Hordes by Krieg has an intro that I strongly believe is from an old horror movie. I don’t remember the exact words but it’s a person confessing to a priest and the conversation goes something like this:

Ominous man: « Do you think God forgave your brother when he slashed his wrists? »

Priest: « My brother is in god’s hands. »

Ominous Man: «Your Brother is in hell! »

The conversation goes on for a little while than it is implied that the priest was actually speaking to Satan.

Edit: Someone mentioned Neurosis’s Lost and I remember that there is an interlude on this album which is a news report about Thic Quang Duc, the buddhist monk that set himself on fire in 1963 in protest against the Vietnam War and oppression against Buddhism I believe (don’t quote me on that). I thought that it was just very disturbing.

Edit 2: Fuck me, it was already mentioned.

MeltedFace
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2023 3:54 pm 

I love the distorted sample from The Dark Knight at the start of "In the Minds of Evil". The brevity really adds to the allure IMO.

j_bentley12885
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2023 5:36 pm 

I've always liked the sample from Brutal Truth - "Wilt".
"Do you believe in God?"
"I believe in myself."
No clue what movie it's from.

Hexenmacht46290
Has a GED in Gamercide

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2023 11:17 pm 

There’s a Dopethrone song called “scumfuck blues,” which starts out with a sample, from some pro-prohibition preacher(who was most likely also a klansman), saying “they want your sweet, innocent girls to take to booze, so that they can be enticed into honky tonks, by slick-haired crossers, that prey upon the flower of American womanhood!”

I think that’s what he’s saying. I used to think that was really awesome, back in the day, when I was drinking all the time, every day.
With my weed, I smoke every day
If I'm not high, the hate will escape
I smoke and smoke, stoned as a fuck
Weed is my life, weed is my love…
-John Gallagher

Metal_On_The_Ascendant
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2023 1:39 am 

Dream Theater made good use of samples on Awake and A Change Of Seasons:

...and of course, Honor Thy Father:

Lee Harrison
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2023 4:39 am 

Det sjunde inseglet

Intro of Descent towards death by Los males del mundo
Democracy can resist the authoritarian threat only if it transforms itself from a democracy of passive spectators into a democracy of active participants, in which the problems of the community are familiar to the individual and as important to him as his private affairs

Jebator
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2023 5:34 am 

77hjrttfred wrote:
There is one that has been bugging me. I know I have heard it on at least a couple of songs, but I don't remember. It is this quote from the movie Stigmata (1999) -

How's your faith these days father?
How is your faith these days?
Is this what you call your fucking God?

Can anyone remember what song?

God Dethroned - "Swallow the Spikes", off "Ravenous"

Metal_Jaw
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2023 5:48 am 

Cryptopsy's "Orgiastic Disembowelment" ends nicely with a quote from Army of Darkness : "That's right. Go ahead and run! Run home and cry to Mama!"

Skinless also has a song (which one it is escapes me at the moment) that ends with a Mike Nelson line from an episode of Mystery Science Theater 3000, which made me smile ear to ear when I first heard it.

77hjrttfred
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2023 7:19 am 

Jebator wrote:
God Dethroned - "Swallow the Spikes", off "Ravenous"

Yes, that's it. Thanks. :)

Another one I can think of is the Hideous Divinity album Cobra Verde, which is a concept album based on the movie. You can hear a quote from Klaus Kinski shouting at the beginning of the song In My Land I Was a Snake.

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2023 7:39 am 

Hexenmacht46290 wrote:
There’s a Dopethrone song called “scumfuck blues,” which starts out with a sample, from some pro-prohibition preacher(who was most likely also a klansman), saying “they want your sweet, innocent girls to take to booze, so that they can be enticed into honky tonks, by slick-haired crossers, that prey upon the flower of American womanhood!”

I think that’s what he’s saying. I used to think that was really awesome, back in the day, when I was drinking all the time, every day.

Going along with this album, I always thought the speech in the middle of Dry Hitter was pretty rad.

Also seconding Dream Theater’s use of quotes on Awake, especially The Mirror and Space Dye Vest. Kevin Moore really was the master of that sorta thing.

Meshugass666
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2023 8:04 am 

Band: Mactatus
Album: The Complex Bewitchment
Song: Speak the Word of the Winds
There is a monologue from the movie called Warlock which was directed by Steve Miner

"I am he of empty crib and stillborn foal...
I am he who's coming the stars have fortold...
I am he with heart forged by blackest coal...
I am he who maketh whole the glorious goal of Satan's unborn soul!!!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mlzXF6dOTv8

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0098622/

Lane
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2023 2:24 pm 

I like Entombed's 'Hellraiser' cover which includes samples from Hellraiser movie(s). They add loads of evil atmosphere.

Amosofnlm
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2023 2:53 pm 

My favourite has to be Requiem for a Turd World by Leviathan from White Devil, Black Metal with a sample from one of the later Alien movies, can't remember which one... Resurection?

-Earth? Aw great!
-Earth?! I'd rather be up here with the thing.
-Earth man, what a shithole.

Or something like that.

DonJonne
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2023 6:50 am 

Der Weg Einer Freiheit has used the German dubbed speech from Charlie Chaplin's The Great Dictator and I find it to fit suprisingly well:

MetlaNZ
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2023 8:40 am 

"Bitches leave" the two words that kick off Turning Black, the opening track from the album Soulless by Grave. Clarence Boddicker from Robocop utters that classic line.

ChildClownOutlet
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2023 4:57 pm 

I do that rather well. Don’t you think?

From_Wisdom_To_Mabt
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2023 6:48 pm 

The opening quote and closing quote to "None So Vile." Used to perfection.

The clip from Ginger Snaps in Shining's "Någonting Är Jävligt Fel," as well as the Prozac Nation quote in Shining's "Låt Oss Ta Allt Från Varandra."

The Wicker Man quotes used throughout Agalloch's "The White" EP.

J__Ason
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2023 7:59 pm 

Zyklon-B, Warfare, at 4:47, Boyd Rice on Bob Larson's show "Talk Back". Idk if talk shows count but here it is.
Quote:
War is good
Aids is good
Mass murder is good
Gang violence is good
Crack cocaine is good
Anything that contributes to depopulating the Earth is good

Woods of Infinity, Förlorad, unknown source, preacher to his flock in fire-and-brimstone style:
Quote:
Every one of us is a landscape on which Satan prowls, looking for an advantage, a weak moment...
to reach out from his mist of concealment, and put his claw on your shoulder.
DON'T DENY!
We all feel the presence of evil. Walking behind us: evil. Reaching out to touch us: evil.
We turn around... are you ready to face it?

Woods of Infinity, Brutalt mord, unknown source, a bizarre and chilling old-timey sample in Swedish. Some guy is lecturing to an amused audience about heather cock dueling and mating in brutal Darwinian terms, as a woman's distressed sobs and cries are heard in the background.
Quote:
Ett hugg, och sedan tystnad. En sekundsnabb sekvens i livets stora grava.
Den ojämna kampen var över på några sekunder. Så är det i naturen förstår du.
Där är åldringsvård och sophämtning samma sak. De svaga individerna förintas! Slaggprodukterna rensas ut!
Hela skogen är full av färska blodspår. Kom, låt oss höra på tjäderspelet.
[kvinna i publiken: Det låter ju tjusigt.]
Tjusigt ju!
Det är en kamp på liv och död. Tupparna vrålar av ångestblandad brunst. De vet att bara den starkaste går osårad ur striden.
Med rivalens ännu varma blod på näbben böjer han sin kvinnas nacke och fullbordar akten med ett vrål av triumf!
Sen lämnar han henne där som en trasa i mossen, på väg till nya strider, nya segrar, nya parningar... stark! Ensam!
... Ja!

Translation:
Quote:
A stab, and then silence. A split-second sequence in life's great pageant.
The uneven struggle was over in a few seconds. That's how it is in nature, you see.
There, elderly care and garbage disposal are the same thing. The weak individuals are exterminated! Waste products are cleared out!
The whole forest is full of fresh blood trails. Come, let us hear the heather cocks play.
[woman in the audience: That sounds lovely.]
Lovely, yes!
It is a struggle of life and death. The roosters roar with anguish-infused vigor. They know that only the strongest comes out of the fight unharmed.
With his rival's still-warm blood on his beak, he bends his woman's back and completes the act with a roar of triumph!
Then he leaves her there like a rag in the moss, on his way to new battles, new victories, new matings... strong! Alone!
... Yea!

Last edited by J__Ason on Fri Apr 07, 2023 5:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
doomicus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2023 8:00 pm 

Not a specific quote, but I love the way Mortician abuses horror and exploitation flick samples in their work. As a lover of low budget horror films it's a blast searching out, recognizing, or discovering new films after tracking down the source material. I know a lot of people feel the way they use them is overkill, but I wouldn't have it any other way.

I also feel like early Electric Wizard excelled at their use of samples. Really nailed the drugged out misanthropic aura of Come my Fanatics and Dopethrone. The tracks Return Trip, Wizard in Black, Vinum Sabbathi, and We Hate you are all elevated by the samples or quotes used.

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2  Next