* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Thorgrim_Honkronte
Imperius Rexxz

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 2:22 pm 

Cynical wrote:
Visionary wrote:
Nice to see another Nightgaunt review. His review of Emperor - Anthems to the Whelkin at Dusk is excellent.

Agreed. It's nice to finally see someone put that worthless piece of plastic in its place.

I illegally downloaded it! ;) :lol:

Cynical
Asshole

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 3:18 pm 

In which case it becomes a particularly worthless pattern of iron oxide accumulation that's commonly represented as 1s and 0s.

Thorgrim_Honkronte
Imperius Rexxz

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 3:22 pm 

Hah! Nice.

Although my opinion on the album disagrees with yours and 'Gaunts, it did offer some interesting points and was a good read.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 3:30 pm 

Maybe I'll review the album too, my standpoint on it is somewhere in between the negatives (represented by Nightgaunt alone) and the positives (represented by a total of nine fanboys). I don't find it very sophisticated and I have trouble finding the "art", but I think its a very catchy and headbangy album to put on when one is in a good mood.

https://conservativetentacles.bandcamp.com/

Cynical
Asshole

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 3:32 pm 

Creeping_Death wrote:
I gotta say this is one of the best reviews i found in this site so far:
Quote:
my Harnessing Ruin review

I really don't like that one at all. It's been edited too damn many times, which causes it to loses focus, which leads to a horrible, barely-readable clusterfuck of a review. Were I a mod, I'd probably reject it.

Really, if you want what are in my opinion my best reviews, check out my negative ones that always were negative (my Velvet Cacoon and Xasthur ones in particular).

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 3:36 pm 

Negative Xasthur review? I'll be right there!

https://conservativetentacles.bandcamp.com/

Peregrin
Cricket Bat of Longinus

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 6:28 pm 

Droneriot's review of a certain 4-way split is quite funny... especially when he gets to Odium Immortalis' part of the split, which Drony gives a treatment similar to UltraBoris' of Opeth.

Visionary
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 5:13 pm 

droneriot wrote:
Maybe I'll review the album too, my standpoint on it is somewhere in between the negatives (represented by Nightgaunt alone) and the positives (represented by a total of nine fanboys). I don't find it very sophisticated and I have trouble finding the "art", but I think its a very catchy and headbangy album to put on when one is in a good mood.

I am kind of inbetween to. Emperor does have an immense power with the guitars and keyboards which is a qaulity in their music I can trace back to their demos. The mixing however does damage the album quite a bit. I think the last song is my favourite
Because they are not considered metal? This is not fare!!!

Peregrin
Cricket Bat of Longinus

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2006 10:45 am 

Yet another funny review from droneriot

KayTeeBee
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 2:00 pm 

drone's new thesyre review. awesome, just jawesome.

Peregrin
Cricket Bat of Longinus

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 11:54 am 

KayTeeBee wrote:
drone's new thesyre review. awesome, just jawesome.

Really? At least a third of it is spent on building up hot air and he apparently gives it a 90% for the production and the lyrics alone, with a few approving nods to the band's industrial influences.

OlympicSharpshooter
The Universal Magnetic

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 2:25 pm 

A new Pyrus review, always reason to celebrate.

http://www.metal-archives.com/review.php?id=1474#952

Another solid work by Gutterscream.

http://www.metal-archives.com/review.php?id=2395#29772

Seems that January 6th was a day of quality over quantity, given that it also came with a new Drowned review to boot, which is one of the better of his that I've read.

http://www.metal-archives.com/review.php?id=13981#31745

Oh, and bloodstone makes sure January 7th is no slouch with his new Helloween review. Great as usual, although it has some faulty mark-ups.

http://www.metal-archives.com/review.php?id=857#7600

Bloodstone
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 4:39 pm 

OlympicSharpshooter wrote:

Oh, and bloodstone makes sure January 7th is no slouch with his new Helloween review. Great as usual, although it has some faulty mark-ups.

http://www.metal-archives.com/review.php?id=857#7600

:bang:

How DO you customize fonts in your reviews anyway? This was like planned to be the grand premier for Bloodstone starting to use italics in his reviews and look what happens. And I thought those programming lessons in school would actually pay off at some point.

EDIT: :lol: I originally quoted that as "<b>faulty mark-ups.</b>", now that's irony.

OlympicSharpshooter
The Universal Magnetic

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 5:01 pm 

No idear. If Pyrus comes in he might be able to tell you since he and VileRancour are the only ones I've seen do it.

Gutterscream
The Last Old Schooler in Town

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 6:27 pm 

I had almost completely forgotten about Drifter - thanks to OSS and his grand review they are now refreshed in my memory.
"No, Lair...but that's a pretty damn good name too!".

OlympicSharpshooter
The Universal Magnetic

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 6:35 pm 

You could probably have used that space for something more interesting.

Pyrus
Rabbi of Riffage

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 7:28 pm 

Same as BBCode, except <> instead of [].

I think I'll review some Sabbat to go with that Bifrost, or maybe Manticora.

Unearthly
Spectre of Wrath

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 7:34 pm 

That would be known as "html"

Bloodstone
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 7:48 pm 

Pyrus wrote:
Same as BBCode, except <> instead of [].

I think I'll review some Sabbat to go with that Bifrost, or maybe Manticora.

Thanks! :) *goes to resubmit and fix other random errors while at it*

EDIT: Yay, italics! Also added some meat to the second last paragraph while at it.

Gutterscream
The Last Old Schooler in Town

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 12:19 pm 

Instinctkill wrote a nice one for Helloween's Keeper pt. 1.
"No, Lair...but that's a pretty damn good name too!".

OlympicSharpshooter
The Universal Magnetic

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 12:54 pm 

Five awesome new reviews by Aeturnus65. I don't know if he's new, but he definitely knows his way around a review.

GlinnyMcgee
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 1:36 am 

I think cheesespriced reviews are the best on the board...osheaman, requiem99, and ultraboris come in second place. And Falconsbane comes in shitty last. I sure do hate pretentious reviewers more than the retarted ones. Cheers!

Falconsbane
Worthless troll

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 6:47 pm 

GlinnyMcgee wrote:
I think cheesespriced reviews are the best on the board...osheaman, requiem99, and ultraboris come in second place. And Falconsbane comes in shitty last. I sure do hate pretentious reviewers more than the retarted ones. Cheers!

I'll take that as a huge compliment from the sort of Jewboy gimp who can't even spell his own insults.

Peregrin
Cricket Bat of Longinus

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 6:00 am 

I like... I think it was MacMoney's review of Death's Individual Thought Patterns. It says basically the same things as Thamuz', but in a more concise and less pretentious way.

stickyshooZ
TO HAVE AND TO HOLD

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 8:56 pm 

Falconsbane's Rust in Peace review is a good one. I even find myself nodding in agreement with some of it.

Exkretor wrote:
The new Sadus sounds like fucking wrestling music.

Thorgrim_Honkronte
Imperius Rexxz

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 9:09 pm 

I thought his review was lame, and felt like he was trying a bit "too" hard to go against the norm, just for the sake of doing so. Pretty much everything he describes about it holds no ground.

Unearthly
Spectre of Wrath

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 9:51 pm 

He pretty much reviewed a speed/thrash metal album by black metal standards, along the lines of something like Abigor. Rust In Peace is about riffs and solos, not intellectual property. There are other albums for that, and none of them are by Megadeth.

stickyshooZ
TO HAVE AND TO HOLD

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 10:08 pm 

Meh, I thought it raised a few good points. It articulated a few things that I had been thinking, but wasn't able to really word it.

Exkretor wrote:
The new Sadus sounds like fucking wrestling music.

OlympicSharpshooter
The Universal Magnetic

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 10:42 pm 

Eloquent, literate... empty. There's no justification for his opinions, which are even more so than other reviewers, completely subjective in this case. He raises good points about the production that can be argued, but musically I just don't see anything resembling reason here. That he can feel more intellectual and spiritual resonance in a synth-loop from a Burzum album than in a speed metal classic is fantastic, but I suspect that he prefers his music to be something he can impose his own view upon. The more sparse and cold and murky a record is, the less talked about it is, the easier it is to find some sort of artistry in that may or may not be intended by the author.

Thorgrim_Honkronte
Imperius Rexxz

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 10:51 pm 

Pretty much summed up the way I felt about it. But anyways, Falco will be Falco. Not to say all of his reviews are complete crap, but alot of them are like this.

Nightgaunt
I'll Swallow Your Soul

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 11:06 pm 

stickyshooZ wrote:
Meh, I thought it raised a few good points. It articulated a few things that I had been thinking, but wasn't able to really word it.

I agree. I wouldn't score it as low as he did, but I found his observation that it's like a sort of deep-fried speed metal sampler platter to be quite apt.
The bizarre lattices were all around. Sticks and bits of board nailed together in fantastic array. It should've been ridiculous. Instead it seemed oddly sinister--these inexplicable lattices spread through a wilderness bearing little evidence that man had ever passed through...

Falconsbane
Worthless troll

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 11:39 pm 

OlympicSharpshooter wrote:
Eloquent, literate... empty. There's no justification for his opinions, which are even more so than other reviewers, completely subjective in this case. He raises good points about the production that can be argued, but musically I just don't see anything resembling reason here. That he can feel more intellectual and spiritual resonance in a synth-loop from a Burzum album than in a speed metal classic is fantastic, but I suspect that he prefers his music to be something he can impose his own view upon. The more sparse and cold and murky a record is, the less talked about it is, the easier it is to find some sort of artistry in that may or may not be intended by the author.

I'm a bit confused on this one, my criticisms of Rust in Peace are all pretty concrete. Half the songs involve nearly direct quotations from other bands, and most of the rest closely approximate existing works.

ComatoseMessiah
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 1:42 am 

Falconsbane wrote:
There are interesting moments that make you wonder what could have been had Dave Mustaine been possessed of any real imagination or creative talent.

haha yeah real concrete...

Visionary
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 1:46 am 

Nightgaunt wrote:
stickyshooZ wrote:

I agree. I wouldn't score it as low as he did, but I found his observation that it's like a sort of deep-fried speed metal sampler platter to be quite apt.

Same here. I thought it was overrated though I would probably give it in the 60s or 70s range as it is still relatively enjoyable.
Because they are not considered metal? This is not fare!!!

Falconsbane
Worthless troll

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 11:03 am 

ComatoseMessiah wrote:
Falconsbane wrote:
There are interesting moments that make you wonder what could have been had Dave Mustaine been possessed of any real imagination or creative talent.

haha yeah real concrete...

Because, after all, that quote is absolutely representative of all the criticism in the review. At least make honest observations, cuntweed.

Peregrin
Cricket Bat of Longinus

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 1:00 pm 

stickyshooZ wrote:
Falconsbane's Rust in Peace review is a good one. I even find myself nodding in agreement with some of it.

While Rust in Peace is indeed a rather dull and forgettable album with a couple of enjoyable songs, I think Falco comes across in that review as the musical equivalent of an art school student who denounces realist painters like Andrew Wyeth and Yuqi Wang for being "too unoriginal" while admiring hacks like Mark Rothko, Asger Jorn and others who use innovation as an excuse for laziness.

Falconsbane
Worthless troll

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 1:41 pm 

Peregrin wrote:
stickyshooZ wrote:

While Rust in Peace is indeed a rather dull and forgettable album with a couple of enjoyable songs, I think Falco comes across in that review as the musical equivalent of an art school student who denounces realist painters like Andrew Wyeth and Yuqi Wang for being "too unoriginal" while admiring hacks like Mark Rothko, Asger Jorn and others who use innovation as an excuse for laziness.

How so? The bands I praise are uniformly more considered, more carefully crafted and more conceptually complex than Megadeth. Unless you're defining "laziness" as anything less than technical virtuosity, which, to my thinking, is intellectual "laziness" of the worst sort since it's the sort of judgment one can make with the most cursory of analyis.

Peregrin
Cricket Bat of Longinus

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 1:55 pm 

Falconsbane wrote:
How so? The bands I praise are uniformly more considered, more carefully crafted and more conceptually complex than Megadeth.

That is a valid point. However, aesthetic derivativeness is on its own not a sufficient central point of negative criticism, nor is it in any way identical to a failure to engage the audience.

Quote:
Unless you're defining "laziness" as anything less than technical virtuosity, which, to my thinking, is intellectual "laziness" of the worst sort since it's the sort of judgment one can make with the most cursory of analyis.

When you apply Occam's Razor, a lot of "stylistic innovations" in both music and the visual arts turn out to be appear as excuses for laziness and ineptitude (eg. the Fauvists' abandonment of perspective and a lot of "minimalist Black Metal").

Falconsbane
Worthless troll

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 2:19 pm 

Peregrin wrote:

That is a valid point. However, aesthetic derivativeness is on its own not a sufficient central point of negative criticism, nor is it in any way identical to a failure to engage the audience.

I disagree, inasmuch as aesthetics are the vehicle for content, a lack of an independent aesthetic voice is an announcement that an independent artistic voice is lacking.

Quote:
When you apply Occam's Razor, a lot of "stylistic innovations" in both music and the visual arts turn out to be appear as excuses for laziness and ineptitude (eg. the Fauvists' abandonment of perspective and a lot of "minimalist Black Metal").

I'd caution against applying Occam's Razor to human behaviour as, practically speaking, the 'simple' answer is rarely the actual answer. Human behaviour is simply too complex and involves too many variables for there to really be a 'simple' answer. In the case of most "minimalist black metal," however, there is a distinct lack of independence, stylistically or otherwise, so 'laziness' is certainly likely to be applicable (along with 'no original thoughts,' 'just wants social validation' and 'has no talent').

Peregrin
Cricket Bat of Longinus

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 5:21 am 

Falconsbane wrote:
Peregrin wrote:

I disagree, inasmuch as aesthetics are the vehicle for content, a lack of an independent aesthetic voice is an announcement that an independent artistic voice is lacking.

I guess that you are unfamiliar with Fireaxe, then...

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 520  Next