* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
RightIntoTheGrave
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 5:57 pm 

http://www.metal-archives.com/review.php?id=8358#7443
Ka-pow!
(Gawd I've been wanting to fit that link in somewhere)

EDIT:
Nightgaunt wrote:
(Open-Mindedness (TM) 6:12)
:titters:

OlympicSharpshooter
The Universal Magnetic

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 7:40 pm 

That was indeed an intriguing review. Definitely made me think. Kudos to Nightgaunt.

~Guest 76452
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 9:25 pm 

I liked that one as well... nice to see a strong counterview to the rest of Horde's positive reviews. Clearly a lot of work and thought was put into that one. I remember when that album was released and it was pretty much the laughing stock of the metal scene.

Nightgaunt's reviews of Nightshade and Murder Rape I liked. Actually, that review of Nightshade prompted me to buy the CD. It was only $4-6 US at Relapse, so it was worth it, and I really wouldn't want to pay full price for that album, but its alright. I snagged the 3rd Murder Rape as well, but that was more of a random purchase (didn't read any reviews or anything... and it cost me like $4 US).

Another review I enjoyed was MutatisMutandis's review of Naglfar's "Sheol":

http://www.metal-archives.com/review.php?id=16877#34676

It completely eviscerated that album and did so while sounding intelligent. (and I really dislike Naglfar, and anything that sounds like them, so maybe I'm a tad biased in liking this review)

Other reviewers I like are SnowVixen, Ultraboris, Requiem99, and Aeturnus65. I don't always agree with them, but they're usually consistent and critique albums well.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 10:14 am 

The Horde review is what I hoped for when I requested it. I'm all too glad I asked Nightgaunt instead of doing it myself.

https://conservativetentacles.bandcamp.com/

stickyshooZ
TO HAVE AND TO HOLD

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 2:49 pm 

I found chaossphere's review for A Matter of Life and Death to be enjoyable.

Exkretor wrote:
The new Sadus sounds like fucking wrestling music.

Drowned
Tenebrous Apparition

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 10:35 am 

I really liked Thorgrim_Honkronte's review of "The Source of Dominion". It's an album I've wanted to review for a long time, but knowing me I probably wouldn't have gotten around to it until 2007...

Thorgrim_Honkronte
Imperius Rexxz

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 12:56 pm 

Drowned wrote:
I really liked Thorgrim_Honkronte's review of "The Source of Dominion". It's an album I've wanted to review for a long time, but knowing me I probably wouldn't have gotten around to it until 2007...

Thanks bro! Means a lot to me!

Gutterscream
The Last Old Schooler in Town

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 1:02 pm 

Thamuz's review of Elend's The Umbersun is a fine piece.

http://www.metal-archives.com/review.php?id=2694#4748

And droneriot's done his keyboard proud with his Bethlehem review,

http://www.metal-archives.com/review.php?id=3032#16199

as has clanny for his review of odd bird Windham Hell.

http://www.metal-archives.com/review.php?id=2642#1146
"No, Lair...but that's a pretty damn good name too!".

Peregrin
Cricket Bat of Longinus

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 1:58 am 

Gutterscream wrote:
Thamuz's review of Elend's The Umbersun is a fine piece.

http://www.metal-archives.com/review.php?id=2694#4748

And droneriot's done his keyboard proud with his Bethlehem review,

http://www.metal-archives.com/review.php?id=3032#16199

I second both of those - especially Thamuz' Elend review where he seems to have perfected his style, but there is one thing I do not understand about droney's otherwise eye-opening review - exactly why are Bal-Sagoth and Spear of Longinus that conceptually similar? (granted, I have only heard the Nazi Occult Metal demo)

Napero
GedankenPanzer

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 10:31 am 

http://www.metal-archives.com/review.php?id=3621#31895

Way to go, Bash. I've wanted to hear the Ocean Machine album before, but this review certainly reinforces the feeling.

pinpals
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 4:37 pm 

Kudos to Napero for that great Master of Puppets review. :bow:

OlympicSharpshooter
The Universal Magnetic

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 5:52 pm 

Napero, I could kiss you.

Bash
Talking Meat

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 8:36 am 

Napero wrote:
Way to go, Bash. I've wanted to hear the Ocean Machine album before, but this review certainly reinforces the feeling.

That review is nowhere near perfect. Or even all that good. Thanks anyway though.

I have to second Napero's MoP nove... I mean review. It pretty much sums up my opinion on the album as well, apart from the score.

Gutterscream

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 7:42 pm 

We're stuck in an age where bands are looked upon not for what they've done, but what they've done lately. Most ungrateful or ungracious words said about an inconic album such as MoP or Reign in Blood or whatever are spewed forth in unjustified hindsight, meaning the spokesman doesn't have a half-genuine memory to speak of because chances are he downloaded it five years ago. But alas, those people are absolutely entitled to their opinions, but please get the context straight, 'cause when I hear someone talking out their ass, insistantly speaking of Metallica like they were already stars raking it in, like Elektra handed this still unproven band by mainstream standards some gaudy and incalculable contract, or that the band was world renown before MoP, or my favorite, how they sold out, I feel equally entitled to ask, depending on my mood, anything from an inquisitive "oh yeah, why do you say that?" to a sarcastic "had your finger on the pulse of the underground in '86, did you?" to "your head was about two feet out of your mother's cunt by then, what do you know?".

And don't think I'm prejudice to teens and twenty-somethings. I'm not blaming age here. I blame lack of understanding. Classmates of mine, all of us sophomores or juniors (depending on the time of year, non-classmates a year younger or older) in high school, would come up to me after MoP's release with their "hey, I heard Metallica on the radio the other day. They're pretty good." and on a good day my reaction could be "no shit, what do you think I've been trying to tell you guys for the last two years, and wow, you actually said their name right". They didn't know the underground then, and they don't know it now. They never got the whole idea of an underground, that bands you couldn't find a K-mart or Tape World could be any good.

Within a year of its release the album became a fairly big deal. Notice I said fairly. It would be a few years before it became the icon it is considered today.

Granted, I have awarded some high marks to many 'popular' underground albums - Show No Mercy, Bonded by Blood, Morbid Tales, Infernal Overkill - they're renown albums for a reason, and I don't need hindsight. I'm not a banner waver of every colossal or semi-giant album that saw light of day in the '80s. If I ever review any early stuff by Megadeth, Suicidal Tendencies, Flotsam & Jetsam, Testament, or Metal Church, or anything by Exodus post Bonded by Blood, you'll see what I mean.

Applause for Napero for his candidly authentic piece, and I know he knows where I'm coming from.

Gutterscream

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 8:24 pm 

I forgot to mention I think MoP is a decent lp. Not fantastic, but decent. Too much stuff on it I don't listen to for me to think otherwise.

Napero
GedankenPanzer

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 2:08 am 

Thanks, everybody, for the kind words. I was kind of hoping that Gutterscream would comment on the review. He is, after all, one of the few here who could claim to have hated MoP in the 80's, if he wanted.

Gutterscream's first paragraph pretty much sums up what I was trying to say. He says it better, though, and with 1/20 of the wordcount.

I've never considered myself a part of the underground, or even thought I've ever known anything about the underground. No, I'm more of a mainstream, middle-of-the-road commercial metalhead, even if it's often been commercial thrash I'm after, not Cinderella or CoF. (Now, there, it's been said aloud, the air has been cleaned, and the healing process may now begin...) The review is written from that point of view. I know where Gutterscream is coming from, and it may be exactly the opposite direction. It may well be that, had we known each other back in the days, I would have been the blockhead he was trying to explain things to, in vain.

Aye, the rating is very high. Even if I don't give MoP too many spins nowadays, I used to. So it was either a high rating, or admitting I've been wrong from 1986 to 2001, approximately. I just chose to respect my two decades old opinion.

pinpals
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 7:05 pm 

Droneriot's low rating of The Dark Ride angers me, it's a shame it's so well written :annoyed:

To each their own I suppose

~Guest 76452
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 7:15 pm 

pinpals wrote:
Droneriot's low rating of The Dark Ride angers me, it's a shame it's so well written :annoyed:

To each their own I suppose

I can see his point (even though I don't mind the album). He absolutely eviscerates albums (even ones I like) in such a manner that I don't get upset or bothered by it. Weird. I definitely agree with him that "The Dark Ride" is NOT dark.

His review of Bethlehem's "Dictius te Necare" was quite good (even though I don't mind that abum). I wonder how bad the lyrics on that album are? I don't speak German, but I've heard hearsay that the lyrics when translated are absolutely silly.

Also, cheers to Napero for his Metallica review - that was a good read. :beer:

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 7:43 pm 

Perdition666 wrote:
I definitely agree with him that "The Dark Ride" is NOT dark.

And I thought there was just something wrong with my hearing... Glad someone else noticed it.

pinpals
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 7:58 pm 

droneriot wrote:
Perdition666 wrote:
I definitely agree with him that "The Dark Ride" is NOT dark.

And I thought there was just something wrong with my hearing... Glad someone else noticed it.

I think that they meant that it was darker than most of Helloween's previous stuff, mainly because of the heavier guitars.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 8:03 pm 

pinpals wrote:
heavier guitars.

Uh huh. Yeah right.

pinpals
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 8:13 pm 

droneriot wrote:
pinpals wrote:
heavier guitars.

Uh huh. Yeah right.

:scratch: You don't think that the Roy Z production made the guitars sound heavier (more Chemical Wedding-like, also produced by Z) than Helloweens previous albums?

~Guest 76452
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 8:14 pm 

The closest thing Helloween has done to "dark" is the song "Time of the Oath".

I think the reason why some people claim "The Dark Ride" is "dark" is because of more "dark" (albeit incredibly retarded) lyrics. Helloween needs to stick with the bouncy/happy stuff, that seems more natural to them.

Does anyone remember when Rhapsody was going to do a black metal side project "Rhapsody in Black"? Man, I shudder at how silly that would've been. Thank god it got scrapped.

Kab
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 2:53 pm 

I like Deadwired's recent review of some Fear Factory album. Very critical without degenerating into a sellout-finger, constructive and devoid of general bullshit.

DeathForBlitzkrieg
A Dead Man's Robe

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 4:21 pm 

http://www.metal-archives.com/review.php?id=25704#16199

... I don't know what to say, I mean, I disagree, but then droney is somehow right about this 'phenomenon'.

Napero
GedankenPanzer

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 2:54 pm 

hells_unicorn goes way above his usual works with his new Master of Puppets review. The sequence of MoP reviews seems to be turning into a debate, and I thought I'd forget the usually discouraged references to the other reviews and reviewers, and accepted it.

I may disagree, and I must remind you that my score is for nostalgic reasons, not for the musical quality I hear in it today. At least, according to his last paragraph, he doesn't like it for the right reasons. ;)

http://www.metal-archives.com/review.php?id=547#29518

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 5:09 pm 

Ahh, finally someone like me who dislikes "Master of Puppets", but doesn't turn it into the end of Metallica's career. I too like "...And Justice For All...", in fact it is my second favourite after "Ride the Lightning", with only the occasional too long song and the terrible drum sound in the way. And I too find the black album quite entertaining a feel it to be on par with the debut, but for some reason I can't get into "Master of Puppets", the title track excluded. I cannot say why, but it just doesn't do it for me.

RightIntoTheGrave
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 12:44 pm 

Finally someone gave a negative review to that poppy plastic Shitin Temptation crap. Sean was dead on about most everything, too, but I think he was a little generous with the actual score.

Napero
GedankenPanzer

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 12:54 pm 

Sean also used the line "repetitive as fuck". If you really, really think about that, well, that's roughly as repetitive as things get... :lol:

A good review, I liked it.

Sean16
Moody Tabulator of Torn Hymens

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 2:05 pm 

Thank you guys, I just saw a few days ago Suckin' Temptation had no negative review... I just felt I HAD to write something.

Don't take the score too seriously. I generally don't give very high scores, but I don't give very low scores either. As soon as I'm able to listen to an album from the beginning to the end, and pay it enough attention to review it, I think it deserves more than 10%.

On a totally subjective level, I totally agree Mother Crap deserves a 0%, but as I said I tried to be OBJECTIVE. For instance I always forced myself to write WITHIN Temptation, did you notice it? ;) The lowest note I gave so far has been a 15% to Goth Romance (the name speaks for itself, doesn't it?). Believe me or not, Suckin' Temptation is still better. And... 16 is my lucky number!

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 3:12 pm 

RightIntoTheGrave beat me to it.

RightIntoTheGrave
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 10:34 pm 

Sean16 wrote:
As soon as I'm able to listen to an album from the beginning to the end, and pay it enough attention to review it...
Well there's where we differ then :wink: And I'm not too serious about the score - just glad to see something other than fellation for that... blag.

Peregrin
Cricket Bat of Longinus

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 7:58 am 

droneriot seems to be consolidating him as the official heir to UltraBoris with his review of Mayhem's Deathcrush.

Minotaur
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 9:42 pm 

Fuck Boris, droneriot has completely overthrown his disgusting memory.

~Guest 3496
Exterminator 666 Does Not Answer

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 9:47 pm 

Blasphemer!

Osmium
The Hateful Raven

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 6:11 pm 

This review, by bleakhorizons, of Morbid Angel's "Blessed Are the Sick," is fucking amazing.

Minotaur
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 7:38 pm 

Osmium wrote:
This review, by bleakhorizons, of Morbid Angel's "Blessed Are the Sick," is fucking amazing.

Are you kidding me? That's very very very wordy, even by my standards. It seems like if it were written by prozak's dad.

Noktorn
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 8:18 pm 

Minotaur wrote:
Osmium wrote:

Are you kidding me? That's very very very wordy, even by my standards. It seems like if it were written by prozak's dad.

I have mixed feelings about it. It's very pretty and accurate, but it doesn't seem to be saying all that much. Also, there seems to be some weird writing/rating agreement, particularly with this getting a 91% and his review of Domination getting a 75% (!?).

Member #1 of Zarach 'Baal' Tharagh Crew - Fuck off the musical black metal!

Noktorn
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 9:58 pm 

Damn son, where be the Death SS reviews up in this piece?

Member #1 of Zarach 'Baal' Tharagh Crew - Fuck off the musical black metal!

stickyshooZ
TO HAVE AND TO HOLD

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 11:33 pm 

Noktorn wrote:
Minotaur wrote:
Osmium wrote:

I have mixed feelings about it. It's very pretty and accurate, but it doesn't seem to be saying all that much. Also, there seems to be some weird writing/rating agreement, particularly with this getting a 91% and his review of Domination getting a 75% (!?).

Nothing really surprising about that, considering Blessed... is the better album by far.

Exkretor wrote:
The new Sadus sounds like fucking wrestling music.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 ... 520  Next