Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
dmerritt
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 5:20 am 

I'm getting tired of seeing so many locked threads. I don't mind when a mod locks a dumb thread where everyone is bitching about Trivium, but the thread-locking is out of control. In the metal forum, some mod recently locked a thread called 'Modern Extreme Thrash Metal'. The thread-starter was simply asking for recommendations of bands that sounded like Hypnosia. It was a typical Metal Archives thread. There was nothing wrong with it. It did not degenerate into a flame war or a discussion of how much everyone hates Metal Blade or whatever, it was just a recommendation thread...and not a bad one, at that. There was no reason for it to be locked. I recognize that the mods have a lot of completely irrelevant threads to police, but they shouldn't cut off the good ones, too.

oneyoudontknow
Cum insantientibus furere necesse est.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 5:53 am 

perhaps because of this one what Nightgaunt wrote:
http://www.metal-archives.com/board/vie ... hp?t=23778

My website which contains reviews as well as interviews:
https://adsol.oneyoudontknow.com
My podcast:
https://adsolmag.bandcamp.com/

christkiller
Black Metal Elite

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 6:43 am 

Recommendation threads are simply annoying ...

We should make, once for all, a sticky thread for ALL recommendations, except of having 316191198 useless threads created ... asking again and again and again for the same things

*sighs*

dmerritt
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 11:00 am 

Ahh, after reading that I get it now. I'm sorry I missed it. If I had been more careful and read that, I wouldn't have made the complaint. Initially, I thought the locking of that thread was just someone being cranky. But the rules on that were made quite clear, and the people that run this site have a right to run it how they want. Still, is there a way - besides a sticky - to make sure evryone understands the 'rules' for recommendation threads that Nightgaut wrote? This site is so huge. Dozens of people join every day, and I'm sure some of them only sign up in order to post a rec thread.

Nightgaunt
I'll Swallow Your Soul

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 10:13 am 

Yes, that's a good point. Speaking in generalities, there are quit a lot of users who never read any of the rules, since it's quite possible to get by without doing so. This fact of e-life is not something I myself have any kind of solution for, nor is it something I expect anybody else to come up with. The general plan in this specific case was to have new blood directed to the thread (by staff or by helpful regs) when applicable, as occurs often enough in the S & C forum with "Why was _____ rejected!?" threads.

Far from a perfect solution, of course. It's what we've got until the remote days of V2, however. Folks have thrown all manner of ideas/suggestions/demands around pertinent to the subject....I would guess that at least one of them would be apt to find some favor with the management.

Not that I have any illusions of these hypothetical bells and whistles of the future really preventing folks from making "pls do my homework for me!!" threads, of course. ;)
The bizarre lattices were all around. Sticks and bits of board nailed together in fantastic array. It should've been ridiculous. Instead it seemed oddly sinister--these inexplicable lattices spread through a wilderness bearing little evidence that man had ever passed through...

oneyoudontknow
Cum insantientibus furere necesse est.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 10:49 am 

There is nothing the like of a perfect solution, but there are ways to deal with them, but I have to admit I do not know wether they are applicaple for here or not.

In a German IT Forum points are used to rank the posts. After a specific number of user have voted for a posting the estimated value is shown in the thread; green= good; red=bad. As there are also a lot of Trolls and Microsoft-lovers, their threads are annoying just by looking at them. With a script for the plugin for Firefox Greasemonkey written for that forum these posts are "moved away", what means that you do not see them anymore because you are a priori not recognizing them. Perhaps this would be able to be implemented here, too(or the next version).

I should specify it a little bit. You set a level for the posts; perhaps 50%. If the total amount of votes is below the level all posts that meat thet criteria are "moved away". They appear hidden at the top of the page.

My website which contains reviews as well as interviews:
https://adsol.oneyoudontknow.com
My podcast:
https://adsolmag.bandcamp.com/

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 4:02 pm 

To be honest, the mods here are some of the nicest, non-"lock-happy" mods I've ever seen on a forum. Although I haven't been to too many others, generally other forums will delete threads a mod doesn't like, LOCK topics that get what they consider "off-topic" and generally are a major pain in the ass. Not here. Here mods only remove the bullshit, and freedom of expression still reigns supreme.

Just my personal belief of course.

Reply to topic