* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
LORD_VAG
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 11:19 am 

Sean16's Peste Noire review

http://www.metal-archives.com/review.php?id=127130
Its a good review, it made me check this band out and I must say this is some impressive BM

erickg13
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 1:27 pm 

http://www.metal-archives.com/review.php?id=9722#48565

kudos to pinpals.

Sean16
Moody Tabulator of Torn Hymens

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 1:49 pm 

LORD_VAG wrote:
Sean16's Peste Noire review

http://www.metal-archives.com/review.php?id=127130
Its a good review, it made me check this band out and I must say this is some impressive BM

Thanks. Nice to see at least one of my reviews has been useful to at least one person! :)

pinpals
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 2:57 pm 

erickg13 wrote:
http://www.metal-archives.com/review.php?id=9722#48565

kudos to pinpals.

Thanks. I wrote and rewrote it 6-7 times before I could find a version I was satisfied with.

Gutterscream
The Last Old Schooler in Town

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 4:00 pm 

Metalich's Rush assemblage of reviews has been a pleasing ride, I think.
"No, Lair...but that's a pretty damn good name too!".

caspian
Old Man Yells at Car Park

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 9:45 pm 

NausikaDalazBlindaz has a terrible user name, but she's written a lot of quality reviews, on a lot of out there music. Shes gotten me into some pretty damn good music, and it's also good to see another reviewer who mostly focuses on more out there styles of metal, instead of the usual black/thrash/power genres.

All of her reviews are concise and really well written, you guys should check her out. There's not really any reviews there that are really amazing, but they're all really solid. A very good reviewer! Thankyou NausikaDalazBlindaz!

Metalich
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 10:05 pm 

Gutterscream wrote:
Metalich's Rush assemblage of reviews has been a pleasing ride, I think.

Thanks. It's good to know my quest to review their entire catalog is appreciated (expecially considering I'm still getting my writing legs under me - so to speak). It will hopefully be useful to those who missed out on Rush's golden years. :)

LORD_VAG
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 5:16 am 

Falconsbane's review of At The Gates - The Red in the sky is ours was, as usual, a great read.

Mungo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 5:55 am 

LORD_VAG wrote:
Falconsbane's review of At The Gates - The Red in the sky is ours was, as usual, a great read.

Agreed. I don't always agree with his reviews, but it was well written and as you said a great read.

Cheeses_Priced
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 11:59 am 

Ha, I knew it: State_Secret wasn't aNationalistAcrobat, it was Falco. For future reference, the telltale signs are the far greater level of condensation/disdain and favoring of European death metal over American, though I'm surprised and pleased he's 180'd on Grave.

Thanks for the confirmation on the italics! And that's a good review, although I don't like that album quite that much. Maybe I'll "try to get into it" for the billionth time in the near future.

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 3:10 pm 

caspian wrote:
NausikaDalazBlindaz has a terrible user name, but she's written a lot of quality reviews, on a lot of out there music. Shes gotten me into some pretty damn good music, and it's also good to see another reviewer who mostly focuses on more out there styles of metal, instead of the usual black/thrash/power genres.

All of her reviews are concise and really well written, you guys should check her out. There's not really any reviews there that are really amazing, but they're all really solid. A very good reviewer! Thankyou NausikaDalazBlindaz!

Yes, I've been meaning to post in this thread about her reviews for a while but you beat me to it. I do think they belong in the upper echelon because of the awesome, powerful imagery she uses, even if she's only describing the feelings the music invokes.

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 3:13 pm 

Cheeses_Priced wrote:
although I don't like that album quite that much. Maybe I'll "try to get into it" for the billionth time in the near future.

I don't think it's that great either, but it certainly has its moments. 100 percent though? I don't understand how even its greatest fans could be completely ignorant of its obvious flaws.

DrOctavia
Do Dark Horses Dream of Nightmares?

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 4:07 am 

I'm sure it's already been mentioned before, but I really enjoyed asmox's review of The Perfect Element I. Very flowing and engaging, and describes both the musical and conceptual aspects in great detail.

In the heat and the rain, with the whips and chains
To see him fly, so many die
We built a tower of stone, with our flesh and bone
Just to see him fly, but we don't know why
Now where do we go?

Muloc7253
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 5:27 am 

Natrix review of 'Post Momentary Affliction' must get mentioned if not for the title alone "Kind of like And Justice For All, but as good"
http://www.metal-archives.com/review.php?id=10784

caspian

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 8:42 pm 

I enjoyed the new Master of Puppets review. I just it's something I totally agree with. This album doesn't get anywhere near enough love for the classic that it is.

http://metal-archives.com/review.php?id=547#29831

~Guest 3496
Exterminator 666 Does Not Answer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 10:11 pm 

Yeah, it's only number one on most lists of the greatest metal albums published by any sort of rock magazine.

pinpals
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 10:21 pm 

I found it an engaging read, although I doubt even Hemingway could get me to see the album in a new light at this point.

three_hammers
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 1:56 am 

One of the things I've learned is that a well-written, logically sound, closely argued piece of writing can be completely false. Think of all the "predictions", such as war with the USSR or the idea that democracy would destroy society, so confident but so wrong. That's what that review did, just washed straight over me. Even if I hadn't heard Master of Puppets and deemed it to be of indifferent quality, I won't be convinced by anything but the evidence of my own ears.

caspian

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 5:37 am 

PhantomOTO wrote:
Yeah, it's only number one on most lists of the greatest metal albums published by any sort of rock magazine.

I'm just meaning for this site.

Napero
GedankenPanzer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 9:10 am 

I enjoyed reading the new MoP review, too. It seems so exceptionally honest and does not wander off into too complicated thoughts like all the other reviews there, but sticks to the music. Refreshing.

There is a mild bias against the album here, I think. It may either be elitism, or just refined tastes. Or rebellion against the metal establishment. Or even objectivity I lack. Or maybe it's just the younger generation. Damn youngsters and their Lambs of Gods and Dragonforces! Back in the old days when the Soviets were still real Soviets with Kalashnikovs and no colours, smoking was allowed in elementary schools as it's supposed to, and whiskey still tasted bad...

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 9:55 am 

Napero wrote:
I enjoyed reading the new MoP review, too. It seems so exceptionally honest and does not wander off into too complicated thoughts like all the other reviews there, but sticks to the music. Refreshing.

There is a mild bias against the album here, I think. It may either be elitism, or just refined tastes. Or rebellion against the metal establishment. Or even objectivity I lack. Or maybe it's just the younger generation. Damn youngsters and their Lambs of Gods and Dragonforces! Back in the old days when the Soviets were still real Soviets with Kalashnikovs and no colours, smoking was allowed in elementary schools as it's supposed to, and whiskey still tasted bad...

I still think the problem is that it's just RtL v2.0, and nothing more.

https://conservativetentacles.bandcamp.com/

three_hammers
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 10:13 am 

droneriot wrote:
Napero wrote:

I still think the problem is that it's just RtL v2.0, and nothing more.

But it just isn't as good. As an overall album, or track-by-track, it isn't as good. That isn't "bias" in the sense implied- obviously it is bias, but only the bias of my own ears- I haven't been influenced by the views of others. A lot of people incline towards that view because their likes and dislikes in music are similar to mine, we all have the same "background" and react in the same way.

Gutterscream

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 10:50 am 

Napero wrote:
...smoking was allowed in elementary schools as it's supposed to...

I remember our custodian, George, coming in to fix a wobbly desk with a cigarette in his mouth, then he'd balance it off the edge of another desk while fooling with the thing's legs, circa '75-'81.

OlympicSharpshooter
The Universal Magnetic

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 7:36 pm 

From where I initially posted it in the wrong thread...

I've been quite enamoured with VRR's work of late. This one in particular entertained the living hell out of me, and I always make excited little giggling noises wholly unbecoming of one bearing the title 'Metal Lord' when I see his work in the queue:

http://www.metal-archives.com/review.ph ... 6260#84160

Gutterscream wrote:
This line: ...However, for the sake of getting this review published as a warning to real Metal fans I have been asked to bite the bullet and attempt an actual evaluation..." is his acknowlegement to me as I rejected his first draft because it was a lot of build up and little analysis, plus he capitalized metal.

It's much better now.

And GS' response from there.

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 4:10 am 

BabyRapingKit's only review, for Man Must Die - ...Start Killing, really took me by surprise.

http://www.metal-archives.com/review.php?id=45869#65262

the album is great too.
the same stone - Primordial, "Heathen Tribes"

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 9:23 am 

Lol no one loves my reviews :( Just read my Catamenia one that should be approved later today or tomorrow.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

Napero
GedankenPanzer

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 9:33 am 

OzzyApu wrote:
Lol no one loves my reviews :( Just read my Catamenia one that should be approved later today or tomorrow.

It's an OK review, just the last paragraph seemed a bit pompous to me. Approved 5 minutes ago.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 9:37 am 

Napero wrote:
It's an OK review, just the last paragraph seemed a bit pompous to me. Approved 5 minutes ago.

I intended it to be and thanks Nap for the consideration - except for the fact that you deemed it OK noooooo! Anyways, off to school, will probably do another before saturday - any tips for better writing?
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

Napero
GedankenPanzer

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 9:45 am 

I meant it's a good review. Enjoyable and pleasurable to read. There, there, that's a good boy. Fetch!

I have a feeling that our favourite Indian Osbourne is desperately begging for attention here... :P

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 9:46 am 

It's a positive Catamenia review, why would anyone recommend that? As an extreme display of ignorance, perhaps?

LORD_VAG
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 12:36 pm 

droneriot wrote:
It's a positive Catamenia review, why would anyone recommend that? As an extreme display of ignorance, perhaps?

Funny Guy!

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 9:19 pm 

http://www.metal-archives.com/review.ph ... 1291#38591

One of the best reviews I have read in months! It's short, but absolutely perfect. My absolute respects to cinedracusio. Every single sentence is a thermonuclear weapon, perfectly condensing everything that needs to be said into short, concise points. I'm in awe.

As I said, one of the best reviews I have read in months.

(I accidentally put this in the wrong thread last night)

OlympicSharpshooter
The Universal Magnetic

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 12:46 am 

droneriot wrote:
http://www.metal-archives.com/review.php?id=151291#38591

One of the best reviews I have read in months! It's short, but absolutely perfect. My absolute respects to cinedracusio. Every single sentence is a thermonuclear weapon, perfectly condensing everything that needs to be said into short, concise points. I'm in awe.

Really? I found it to be riddled with grammatical errors and at times so poorly phrased that I had to re-read certain passages several times in order for it to make any earthly kind of sense. I'd have rejected it and told him to use a basic grammar check at the least.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 12:59 am 

OlympicSharpshooter wrote:
droneriot wrote:
http://www.metal-archives.com/review.php?id=151291#38591

Really? I found it to be riddled with grammatical errors and at times so poorly phrased that I had to re-read certain passages several times in order for it to make any earthly kind of sense. I'd have rejected it and told him to use a basic grammar check at the least.

I was recommending the content, not the grammar, obviously. :roll:

Nightgaunt
I'll Swallow Your Soul

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 2:09 am 

Well, it's better than most of Falco's "grenades", anyway.
The bizarre lattices were all around. Sticks and bits of board nailed together in fantastic array. It should've been ridiculous. Instead it seemed oddly sinister--these inexplicable lattices spread through a wilderness bearing little evidence that man had ever passed through...

Gutterscream

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 9:00 am 

"...neither their rare vinyls to get the more naive listener hungry." - the s in 'vinyls' is iffy, pertaining to the plural of records rather than a singular medium.

"The album itself is no bad at all." - obvious, but honest.

"... because it contains two incredibly weak pieces of dirgy buggery." - dirgy isn't a word, but I've made up my own words before.

"Both of these songs sound as if the guy from Veil forgot to put some pieces for his Dolor demo..." - for. Even with 'of' replacing it the sentence still doesn't fly, but I can see where he wanted to go with it.

"We can ever hear LEADS!" - probably meant 'even'.

"...something that no black metal band has ever did before." - 'done' would've been better.

"The second track plods at a rhythm twice faster than the first track, still slow." - 'twice as fast than the first track, though is still slow'.

"...just get used to the idea that you have no good to find here." - general semi-effecient English skills.

"The growls are ruining a monument already destroyed, the melodies are as powerful as ever, sorrowful, on three or four repeated notes and ending in cascades of melancholy." - the tense is a little off in the first part while still being active i.e. "The growls ruin a monument already destroyed..." - an honest mistake and not a biggie. The sentence is structured oddly and isn't grammatically correct, but I got the point.

"In its ending, the track slows down gradually, something that brings Aakon Keetreh on his more distorted performances to my mind." - another 'off' sentence.

"I have said this before but I say it again: Rookies will be fond of this." - "...but I'll say it again...", capitalized Rookies after the colon, and a comma would've been fine instead of a colon.

"The true fans of black metal haven't ever heard of Drudkh (or at least of this miserable crap, more useless than a paper condom)." - again, ever = even. "...which is more useless than..."

^^^^^^^

Boy was I off when I accepted this one. Must've been late.

Gutterscream

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 9:28 am 

http://www.metal-archives.com/review.php?id=432

Liked this one from DawnoftheShred.

Longinus
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 10:50 am 

It's a bit of a shame about that review really, because the content is definitely refreshing among the myriads of fanboy-reviews that Drudkh gets. All the same, the reviewer does get his point through and correcting the various grammatical errors would not take a long time.

cinedracusio
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 2:42 pm 

Abominatrix's review for Root's Temple Of The Underworld owns.

cinedracusio
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 2:43 pm 

Gutterscream wrote:
"...neither their rare vinyls to get the more naive listener hungry." - the s in 'vinyls' is iffy, pertaining to the plural of records rather than a singular medium.

"The album itself is no bad at all." - obvious, but honest.

"... because it contains two incredibly weak pieces of dirgy buggery." - dirgy isn't a word, but I've made up my own words before.

"Both of these songs sound as if the guy from Veil forgot to put some pieces for his Dolor demo..." - for. Even with 'of' replacing it the sentence still doesn't fly, but I can see where he wanted to go with it.

"We can ever hear LEADS!" - probably meant 'even'.

"...something that no black metal band has ever did before." - 'done' would've been better.

"The second track plods at a rhythm twice faster than the first track, still slow." - 'twice as fast than the first track, though is still slow'.

"...just get used to the idea that you have no good to find here." - general semi-effecient English skills.

"The growls are ruining a monument already destroyed, the melodies are as powerful as ever, sorrowful, on three or four repeated notes and ending in cascades of melancholy." - the tense is a little off in the first part while still being active i.e. "The growls ruin a monument already destroyed..." - an honest mistake and not a biggie. The sentence is structured oddly and isn't grammatically correct, but I got the point.

"In its ending, the track slows down gradually, something that brings Aakon Keetreh on his more distorted performances to my mind." - another 'off' sentence.

"I have said this before but I say it again: Rookies will be fond of this." - "...but I'll say it again...", capitalized Rookies after the colon, and a comma would've been fine instead of a colon.

"The true fans of black metal haven't ever heard of Drudkh (or at least of this miserable crap, more useless than a paper condom)." - again, ever = even. "...which is more useless than..."

^^^^^^^

Boy was I off when I accepted this one. Must've been late.

Wow, man, you rock.:annoyed:
Don't worry, I'll correct it, okay? Just don't fuck around too much, please.
And by the way, I meant "noT bad at all". Sorry for spelling errors, it was because of me hurrying to crush Drudkh's asses.

And yes, I meant "even".

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22 ... 520  Next