Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 8:24 pm 

damaramou wrote:
Thats why Sean reinhart and Bobby jarzombek are my favourite metal drummers, they don't blast!

Not sure who Sean Reinhart is, but Bobby Jarzombek is a very talented drummer. His work on Spastic Ink is exceptional.

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

damaramou
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 5:55 am 

Yeah bobby is very good, his vidoe's on youtube are amazing!

Sean reinhart drum's for cynic, he did the drums on Death's human album and he used to drum for aghora. His drumming is always tight and complex, plus he's very creative. I got to see him live with cynic a few months ago and he totally blew me away! There aren't any decent youtube video's though.

MikeyC

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 11:53 pm 

Did you see this video of Bobby Jarzombek? Fucking brilliant. It is long, but my goodness, he's so freaking talented.

Makes me slightly upset to watch this though, because I don't think I'll ever be as good as him. Or have as good a drum kit, either.

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

damaramou
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 11:03 am 

Hehe I know what you mean, he's so talented it's ridiculous! I love the cymbal's placed behind him too, I haven't seen anybody other than bobby do that.

I love this video of Derek roddy...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oVsjSwVcsLs

Most of his other death metal stuff is just blasting, this one's a bit different though, the limb independence on display in this video is incredible.

MikeyC

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 7:17 pm 

Wow! That was amazing! I do like the building up towards about 2:40, where he goes on a semi-quaver fill frenzy. I didn't hear that many blast beats, if any. The tribal sounding beats were a nice touch, too.

This just reinforces how undeveloped I am with my drumming! :P

ZarathustraHead wrote:

Matthiacle
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 2:12 pm 

I get my influences from of course, Pete "The Feet", Fredrik Andersson, and that teen age guy from Animosity...

:boo:
Árngrïm, Død Skog wrote:
scene chicks make me fap...

Scene chicks will give n00dz for scene points.

Smkiller
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 6:07 am 

Anyone here have a drum tab or whatever to Amon Amarth's "Death In Fire"? I'm workin' on a cover for the song, and kinda need it...

MikeyC

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 4:29 am 

Smkiller wrote:
Anyone here have a drum tab or whatever to Amon Amarth's "Death In Fire"? I'm workin' on a cover for the song, and kinda need it...

Yeah, I tried doing a Google search, and I didn't find anything. There's plenty of guitar tabs around, but nothing for drums. I think your best bet is to listen to the song a billion times and try to write the drum parts yourself. Sorry.

ZarathustraHead wrote:

Smkiller
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 9:06 pm 

MikeyC wrote:
Smkiller wrote:

Yeah, I tried doing a Google search, and I didn't find anything. There's plenty of guitar tabs around, but nothing for drums. I think your best bet is to listen to the song a billion times and try to write the drum parts yourself. Sorry.

Bleh. Eh, I'm sure I'll manage with it that way. I've already got most of the guitar part down, except for the second part of the guitar solo. And you'd think it'd be easy to make it digitally. Apparently not...

RegularK
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 11:25 pm 

I have a small question. I am trying to learn some Jazz drumming (because its easy). The guitar pro tab I have for one song has "side stick" in it a lot, I have no clue what that means. It kind of sounds like a "snapping" noise.

midi 37

Deadwords
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 10:13 pm 

RegularK wrote:
I have a small question. I am trying to learn some Jazz drumming (because its easy). The guitar pro tab I have for one song has "side stick" in it a lot, I have no clue what that means. It kind of sounds like a "snapping" noise.

midi 37

Sidestick is hitting the rim of the snare in a particular way.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Side_stick

damaramou
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 6:32 pm 

RegularK wrote:

midi 37

Jazz drumming is easy? Are you high?

RegularK
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 6:51 pm 

damaramou wrote:

The tabs I looked at were :p

MikeyC

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 6:53 pm 

RegularK wrote:
damaramou wrote:

What tabs were they? Can you post a link?

ZarathustraHead wrote:

damaramou
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 9:37 am 

RegularK wrote:
damaramou wrote:

Fair enough, jazz is generally regarded as the most difficult genre drumming wise, there are definitely some simple jazz beats out there tho.

You should check out Jim Chapin's Advanced Techniques for the Modern Drummer book, it's all jazz based independance, it's extremely difficult!

Speaking of books, do you guy's use Stick control at all? I use it daily on my hands and feet. Possibly the best drum book ever printed!

ibz_rg
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 4:42 pm 

I've never really used any books, or videos for that matter. I basically take the aspects of someone's drumming that i like and try to incorporate it in my style.

latinfiestacarnage
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 12:32 am 

RegularK wrote:
damaramou wrote:

Well just because some tabs were easy that doesnt mean the rest of it is easy. Anyways, I don't use books either. I listen to things and find something I like that a drummer uses and then I try to learn it or change it around in some ways.

damaramou
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 5:45 am 

That's fair enough, I'm trying to perfect my hand and foot technique and I find that books and video's can be really useful for that. Helps me keep my daily practice routine focused. I never would have learnt the free stroke or moeller or any of that stuff without them.

feratu
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 12:02 am 

RegularK wrote:
I have a small question. I am trying to learn some Jazz drumming (because its easy).

:lol: :lol: :lol:
You apparently know NOTHING about jazz drumming. I'm working on Paganini's fifth caprice for violin (because its slow).

Chrispaks
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 12:06 am 

damaramou wrote:
RegularK wrote:
damaramou wrote:

Fair enough, jazz is generally regarded as the most difficult genre drumming wise, there are definitely some simple jazz beats out there tho.

You should check out Jim Chapin's Advanced Techniques for the Modern Drummer book, it's all jazz based independance, it's extremely difficult!

Speaking of books, do you guy's use Stick control at all? I use it daily on my hands and feet. Possibly the best drum book ever printed!

Quoted for Emphasis. With that book, you can do jazz like a pro.

DYin
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 6:46 pm 

I think Nevermore's drummer Van Williams is a very good drummer. I love his drums( and the rest of the band too, especially the guitars.. being a guitarist myself) on This Godless Endeavor the most, but he's great on the other albums too.

malchidael
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 2:05 pm 

i'm chilean :headbang:

MikeyC

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 7:59 am 

malchidael wrote:
i'm chilean :headbang:

Wrong thread.

Anyway, I definitely need a new drum kit. Mine is so old, I think it was made during the Industrial Revolution. I just had to fix the bass drum pedal, and it's sure as hell going to stuff up again soon. The hi-hat pedal doesn't work at all. One of my cymbals have chunks missing, and a huge crack going around it.

I have most of the money for one, but I'm not exactly sure what I should be getting. I'm going to start looking, and if I see one that's really good, I might buy it. I'm definitely looking to go all out...two bass drums, plenty of toms, and heaps of cymbals. To do that, I'll need over $10000 for sure, so I'll start with a good kit, then keep adding to it bit by bit until I have what I want.

I was going to aim for getting one by the end of this year, but I haven't even started Christmas shopping yet - maybe I'll get lucky and win big on Lotto ;).

ZarathustraHead wrote:

damaramou
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 10:48 am 

Yeah good call, start with a good'un and build up. I still use my first kit, which is a really cheap practice kit, I just applied some aquarian heads, a whole new set of cymbals and bang, a cheap kit is suddenly pretty decent sounding for cheap :)

MikeyC

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 8:29 pm 

Yeah, it's the best way. I already have a few thousand dollars, so I can start off with a decent kit, but I still want to keep adding on to it. I would love to start off with two bass drums, because I've always wanted to have that! It would look very intimidating, plus it would be easier to play.

And you can never have too many cymbals! ;)

ZarathustraHead wrote:

damaramou
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 10:17 am 

Just found some vid's of sean reinert and cynic playing live. Here's one of them playing sentiment with a nice solo from sean and extended ending..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16mKq5EK6gU

Personally I think sean is right up there with the greats, if you forget that awful C-187 album that he played on this year.

latinfiestacarnage
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 11:54 pm 

MikeyC wrote:

Definitely agreed. Cymbals come in so many different shapes and sizes, well not shapes so much but you get what I mean. It's really amazing how cymbals can easily add to the sound of your kit and the sound of the beats and things you are playing. Also, you should definitely go for a second bass drum. The drum sounds so much better when you only have one pedal on it. And, yes it is quite intimidating. I agree, starting off wish a cheap set and upgrading it from there is way better than buying a really nice basic kit and getting alright extra toms and cymbals.

MikeyC

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 12:01 am 

latinfiestacarnage wrote:
MikeyC wrote:

Definitely agreed. Cymbals come in so many different shapes and sizes, well not shapes so much but you get what I mean. It's really amazing how cymbals can easily add to the sound of your kit and the sound of the beats and things you are playing. Also, you should definitely go for a second bass drum. The drum sounds so much better when you only have one pedal on it. And, yes it is quite intimidating. I agree, starting off wish a cheap set and upgrading it from there is way better than buying a really nice basic kit and getting alright extra toms and cymbals.

Yeah, I'm definitely going to try and get two bass drums. Depending on the cash situation, of course, but I should have enough.

I only have three cymbals, and one of them is cracked and chipped everywhere. The hi-hat is fucked. So new cymbals of all sorts are urgently needed. I've never a splash cymbal, so that will be an awesome addition.

I was just playing my drums then...honestly, I don't know how some people here say they can play for an hour plus. After 5 minutes I'm sweating like a motherfucker and my arms, especially my shoulders, start caning. Maybe I just need to get some better technique. In better news, my bass drumming speed is definitely increasing. So it's like I'm sacrificing one thing to benefit another. I'm sure once I get my new kit, I'll be happier playing it and therefore won't be in so much pain...or won't notice the pain as much.

ZarathustraHead wrote:

wEEman33
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 8:28 pm 

I am looking to take up the drums and I am wondering if anyone here has recommendations for durable, 5-piece starter kits?

I am not looking to spend a lot of money, nor am I looking for something that will get me professional sound quality, I just want something that will last for several years and will be good to learn on.

ibz_rg
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 10:32 am 

wEEman33 wrote:
I am looking to take up the drums and I am wondering if anyone here has recommendations for durable, 5-piece starter kits?

I am not looking to spend a lot of money, nor am I looking for something that will get me professional sound quality, I just want something that will last for several years and will be good to learn on.

I have a Pulse Pro 5-Piece set and it was only $350. All I did was add a Zildjian ZBT 18" Crash/Ride and 13" ZBT Hi-hats, and a $130 double bass pedal. That set's a beast now. For me, atleast.

Just look and Music123 or Musicians Friend for some sets. Good brands would be Pearl, Tama, Pulse, ddrum, Ludwig, Mapex, and Yamaha. But Tama and Pearl are usually really high priced.

Best of luck to you. :beer:

truemetalist89
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 1:24 pm 

does anyone have drum tabs for John Petrucci's Glasgow Kiss song? iv checked every site on the internet and can't find it..write me a reply if yu know where

latinfiestacarnage
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 10:38 pm 

MikeyC wrote:

I was just playing my drums then...honestly, I don't know how some people here say they can play for an hour plus. After 5 minutes I'm sweating like a motherfucker and my arms, especially my shoulders, start caning. Maybe I just need to get some better technique. In better news, my bass drumming speed is definitely increasing. So it's like I'm sacrificing one thing to benefit another. I'm sure once I get my new kit, I'll be happier playing it and therefore won't be in so much pain...or won't notice the pain as much.

Haha yea that could be it. But I think you will enjoy playing a new kit alot more. For example, when I first got my new kit I played it so much ridiculously more than I do now. Not saying I don't practice its just that when it was new I enjoyed toying with the different sounds and cymbals and such.

MikeyC

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 6:28 am 

latinfiestacarnage wrote:
MikeyC wrote:

Haha yea that could be it. But I think you will enjoy playing a new kit alot more. For example, when I first got my new kit I played it so much ridiculously more than I do now. Not saying I don't practice its just that when it was new I enjoyed toying with the different sounds and cymbals and such.

Yeah, I know I'm going to be exactly the same. I can't wait until I have enough money to get a new kit because this kit isn't doing me any favours at all. I gotta get off this eBay...;)

I'm trying to gravity blast, too. I have the technique (almost) down pat, with keeping my thumb on top of the stick and such, but one I do anything else, it screws up. I mean, I can't get the gravity blast to work properly anymore because I'm too focused on the beat I'm doing. Plus the hits on the snare aren't as loud...the stick basically just brushes the skin. I'll keep working on it, and hopefully soon it will just get easier and easier until I can gravity blast without having to think about it.

ZarathustraHead wrote:

damaramou
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 11:40 am 

I'm trying to learn the gravity blast too, I'm pretty bad at it at the moment though! Maybe someday we'll both be doing it like this guy...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hw4vMV3EnRw

MikeyC

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 9:28 pm 

damaramou wrote:
I'm trying to learn the gravity blast too, I'm pretty bad at it at the moment though! Maybe someday we'll both be doing it like this guy...

:wtf: Wow. Just wow. That guy is go(o)d. Maybe once I get my new kit, I'll have better incentive to really get it going.

ZarathustraHead wrote:

rail
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 12:11 am 

MikeyC wrote:
damaramou wrote:

:wtf: Wow. Just wow. That guy is go(o)d. Maybe once I get my new kit, I'll have better incentive to really get it going.

Have you guys checked out the band Brain Drill??? Their drummer Lord Marco has got the gravity blast down to a science. It just takes the music to a whole new level. I also heard this guy placed very high on world's fastest drummer. Not sure this is 100% true, but i think he got 6th fastest hands and 2nd fastest feet. Or maybe the other way around. He is freaking sweet!!! check him out!!!

http://www.myspace.com/lordmarc0

And check him out with the band Vornagar!!!
http://youtube.com/watch?v=NYiBaYmXMfA&search=hyperion

MikeyC

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 2:38 am 

rail wrote:
Have you guys checked out the band Brain Drill??? Their drummer Lord Marco has got the gravity blast down to a science. It just takes the music to a whole new level. I also heard this guy placed very high on world's fastest drummer. Not sure this is 100% true, but i think he got 6th fastest hands and 2nd fastest feet. Or maybe the other way around. He is freaking sweet!!! check him out!!!

Yes, I have Brain Drill's EP. And yes, he's considered one of the fastest drummers in the world. And also yes, I have seen a video of him playing and he is really good! I don't think I could ever get to that level, but if I get close, I'll be very happy.

ZarathustraHead wrote:

rail
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 12:48 pm 

I am curious who you guys think is the fastest metal drummer out there? I know there are some greats like drummers from Morbid Angel (old stuff) and Nile. But I think that the drummer from The Berzerker might be the fastest. He is insane!

A lot of people have stuck to the rumor that he isn't actually playing and that it is a drum machine, but most people know that he just triggers his drum set. Plus if you watch the videos, you can see what a blur he is when he plays.

I would give my left nut in a heart beat just to play half as fast as some of the metal drummers do.

MikeyC

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 7:56 pm 

rail wrote:
I am curious who you guys think is the fastest metal drummer out there? I know there are some greats like drummers from Morbid Angel (old stuff) and Nile. But I think that the drummer from The Berzerker might be the fastest. He is insane!

A lot of people have stuck to the rumor that he isn't actually playing and that it is a drum machine, but most people know that he just triggers his drum set. Plus if you watch the videos, you can see what a blur he is when he plays.

I would give my left nut in a heart beat just to play half as fast as some of the metal drummers do.

I think it was rumoured that The Berzerker drummer was fastest, but he really isn't...although he shits all over me! :P I'm sure you could just Google it and it will tell you.

In my opinion, the drummers for Beneath The Massacre and Scrambled Defuncts are pretty fast. Although playing fast doesn't always mean you'll be playing well.

Having said that, my left nut can also be given away to play at those speeds. ;)

ZarathustraHead wrote:

latinfiestacarnage
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 11:18 pm 

MikeyC wrote:
rail wrote:

I think it was rumoured that The Berzerker drummer was fastest, but he really isn't...although he shits all over me! :P I'm sure you could just Google it and it will tell you.

In my opinion, the drummers for Beneath The Massacre and Scrambled Defuncts are pretty fast. Although playing fast doesn't always mean you'll be playing well.

Having said that, my left nut can also be given away to play at those speeds. ;)

Technicality over speed anyday. Marco Minemman FTW! And George Kollias for BOTH! Speed and technicality..damn straight. Master of one footed blast IMO

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 28  Next