Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
crustcorestenchhead9
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 2:30 am 

SpiralLoiter wrote:

sounds nice dude. but try to make them more decipherable and an echo effect would be cool

SpiralLoiter
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 6:08 am 

Yeah, I was worrying if I got the technique right.
I will work on pronunciation etc...
I've added a small amount of reverb. I'll try echo too, though :)

leeroy_jenkins7
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 9:16 am 

at what age should you start doing vocals without sounding like an idiot?

crustcorestenchhead9
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 3:10 pm 

leeroy_jenkins7 wrote:
at what age should you start doing vocals without sounding like an idiot?

haha no age man anyone can do vocals, my moms freinds son is 5 years old and iv taught him how to growl, no joke it sounds tight and its real funny ima try and get a video up here of that someday.

but im not sure how true this is but everyone says you shouldnt do them unless your 16 or older cuz you can ruin your voice. but i have been doing harsh vocals since i was 13 and im 16 now and my voice seems normal. how old are you?

leeroy_jenkins7
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 5:11 am 

Acid001
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 5:36 am 

Growling does ruin the voice over time, and it's more likely to do so when your vocal chords are undeveloped, so whoever told you that was right, crustcorestenchhead9.

And in response to Leeroy_Jenkins, you stop sounding like an idiot when your balls drop far enough.

DrudenhausWitch
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 5:55 pm 

Just wondering... Is previous vocal experience necessary to learn to growl? I'm a drummer, a guitarist, and a bass player, and I've never really sung that much(although I'm pretty good at hitting notes with my voice and such) and I want to learn black metal growls(or maybe hardcore screaming) so badly it hurts. How long does it take and what do I need to do? How do I learn to sing from the stomach, as I hear that it's a key technique when growling?

Stormalv
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 6:14 pm 

A good way to learn it is if you can practice it with a band, when everyone are playing loudly (especially the drums), and wearing hearing protection also helps. That way, since you can't hear yourself too well, you get the guts enough to yell out really loudly, and just experiment until you get a satisfying sound. And it's smart to warm up first, by just plain singing and humming, and drinking water, to avoid getting hoarse. :)

crustcorestenchhead9
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 7:16 pm 

you should most likely be able to vox if your 13 without them sounding lame but watever.

and there was a post a while back asking how to sing and play at the same time and i cant find it so ill put it in here.

A real good exersize to do and what i do is to play something easy but not too easy. pull out a magazine or book or somethin and play the riff on your guitar. read the book outloud while keep playing, if you cant do it at all play an easier riff and try it again. when you read outloud you must read steadily and not choppy.

The....Ca..t shat... on the..ta..bl.e = Bad.

The Cat was crushed under the weight of the speaker = good.

do this for a few weeks and then play harder and harder riffs and you should have it down good. You may not be able to read steadily at first and keep the playing correct but keep practicing it will come.

born_of_sin
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 7:09 pm 

DrudenhausWitch wrote:
Just wondering... Is previous vocal experience necessary to learn to growl? I'm a drummer, a guitarist, and a bass player, and I've never really sung that much(although I'm pretty good at hitting notes with my voice and such) and I want to learn black metal growls(or maybe hardcore screaming) so badly it hurts. How long does it take and what do I need to do? How do I learn to sing from the stomach, as I hear that it's a key technique when growling?

No but if you do have previous vocal experience it helps, vice versa.

maidenpriest
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 10:53 pm 

Please take a look at this youtube video for my attempt at Riot's Thundersteel, I'll be uploading my Queensryche's Suite Sister Mary soon.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8TliJB_Ocs

Thanks, please leave comments (and watch to the whole video, I start off a little shaky!)

SpiralLoiter
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 1:31 pm 

What's that shadow? A dildo? lol
Just joking man. You know how to sing :)
You're not the most professional vocalist out there, but you've got a good voice.

Schuldinerowns
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 4:30 am 

Does anyone know how to achieve the style Chuck Schuldiners does on The Sound of Perseverance?. His growl sounds the same, Only higher pitch, so when i try to raise my normal death growl, it becomes very low in volume and sounds very different...

GoreHound666
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 7:20 pm 

I just purchased a mic about an hour ago and realised I cant plug it into my amp. The mic has a like 3 pronged thing....how the hell does this work

Neowulf
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 4:43 am 

Haha, that's too bad mate. Mics generally can't be plugged into normal audio sockets, they use XLR connection. You need a mixer board / sound card with mic inputs, depending on what you were trying to do. You should talk to someone at the shop where you bought the mic, or a music shop.

GoreHound666
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 4:53 pm 

Neowulf wrote:
Haha, that's too bad mate. Mics generally can't be plugged into normal audio sockets, they use XLR connection. You need a mixer board / sound card with mic inputs, depending on what you were trying to do. You should talk to someone at the shop where you bought the mic, or a music shop.

Thanks, I discovered this 10 minutes after I posted that. Google magic

Bash
Talking Meat

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 8:57 am 

Doing growled vocals when your voice hasn't developed yet is a bad idea to the max. You may fuck up your voice for life.

SpiralLoiter
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 12:53 pm 

^ Maybe. I've started few months ago, but on the other hand, I'm an adult, so my voice has already developed.
Anyway, when kids ask me, I tell them to stay away until older age (16-18 or so) for two reasons: their voice hasn't developed yet, so they'll just sound bad, and let's not forget the fact that they're just kids, and in the future they may not like metal at all, so they'll just regret they'd done damage to the chords.

BTW, I have a MySpace now...
http://myspace.com/vintertheros

truvelocity
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 12:00 pm 

i've tried and tried but i can't make a growl or a throaty scream ala Tom Araya my friends say i sound like Freddie Mercury or that guy from The Darkness.So long death metal.

pwd666
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 3:34 pm 

truvelocity wrote:
i've tried and tried but i can't make a growl or a throaty scream ala Tom Araya my friends say i sound like Freddie Mercury or that guy from The Darkness.So long death metal.

Well at least you sound like someone famous... as for the growls, read from the beginning of this thread and you'll find all the tips you need to do growls. IMO, anyone physically (and mentally I guess) normal, can do growls. Just keep trying different things but don't damage your voice by doing too much at once...until you are comfortable.

VACRMH
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 5:03 am 

Lots of good info in here.

I'm wondering, any tips for vocals similar to Impaled or Carcass? I'm not familiar with the style, but i'm more interested in the...snarl? type vocals.

Also, I noticed my throat gets dry very quickly. Does drinking warm water and other remedy's (honey) provide a temporary solution or will it help things develop?

SpiralLoiter
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 5:10 am 

I don't know about honey, but drinking regular water helps a lot. It keeps your throat moist, and thus saving it from being damaged.

Bash
Talking Meat

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 7:42 am 

^Lukewarm water, specifically. Cold beer = bad, in most cases.

Mors_Gloria
See? Marge was right!! ^

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 6:55 am 

truvelocity wrote:

Dude it doesn't matter. Either way you are one of the few Metalheads in Uganda. Your country does not have a scene yet. So, try to build one!

http://www.metalfighters.com/

Mors_Gloria
See? Marge was right!! ^

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 6:58 am 

By the way, I am trying to find a way to improve my BM screams. I do not know how to raise pitch yet :(

Reaper43
Painsponge

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 11:42 pm 

I've got a Death metal oriented Jam with my band on my MySpace page. www.myspace.com/reaper_43 , keep in mind it's completely improvised, and that's actually our drummer's dad jamming with us (on drums obviously). There are no lyrics, and it is myself, and our other vocalist doing the gutturals. He has the lower tone. I try to separate from his style of low a bit, however overall I preferred a lower sound for this "song." Unfortunately when we do overlapping vocals it gets muddled. Thus the vocal sound is a little distorted, currently not much I can do about it since it was recorded on a digital camera. Anyways feedback is appreciated.

DivineDevil
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 2:48 pm 

Mors_Gloria wrote:
By the way, I am trying to find a way to improve my BM screams. I do not know how to raise pitch yet :(

Hmm, the BM scream is quite easy, once you get the hang of it. You just do the same as when you grunt (you can grunt, right?), without closing your mouth till it is one small circle. You just open your mouth fully, and start grunting. Ok, that sounds weird, but now just go up a little in pitch. You just tighten your throat in the same way as when you sing a little higher in normal vocals. Also quite important is that you do not put all the stress on your throat. When I scream, it comes mostly from my lungs, and my throat is quite relaxed. Also, if you read the pages, there is quite a lot explained that might help you with screaming.

I hope I've been a help... I know I suck at explaining things...

Reaper43
Painsponge

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 9:56 pm 

Reaper43 wrote:
I've got a Death metal oriented Jam with my band on my MySpace page. www.myspace.com/reaper_43 , keep in mind it's completely improvised, and that's actually our drummer's dad jamming with us (on drums obviously). There are no lyrics, and it is myself, and our other vocalist doing the gutturals. He has the lower tone. I try to separate from his style of low a bit, however overall I preferred a lower sound for this "song." Unfortunately when we do overlapping vocals it gets muddled. Thus the vocal sound is a little distorted, currently not much I can do about it since it was recorded on a digital camera. Anyways feedback is appreciated.

Here's a link to just the video's page. http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fusea ... D=20157768

I also forgot to mention that this was our first ever practice with a new bass player and second vocalist.

shinigami919
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 12:11 am 

hi,im a death metal vocalist,but sometimes i have troubles with my voice cause i cant get the exact tone that i want.besides sometimes i lost the air and i cant keep growling,i was thinking to take singing lessons but im not sure about it.can anybody help me?

PurificationByHatred
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 10:21 am 

Lord_Kyris wrote:
Yes but you can mix the honey into a water bottle and keep it handy. Besides I meant for practicing to get used to it. Exactly as you said.

Smoke a menthol ciggarette, if you lose your voice. When my band doesn't get to practice much because we live a distance from each other, but when we do we practice for the entire day and by then my voice is gone, but I smoke 2 or 3 menthols and drink blue gatorade (not any other color) and I can sing again.

www.myspace.com/typhonofficial

That's us by the way.

Mors_Gloria
See? Marge was right!! ^

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 10:31 am 

DivineDevil wrote:
Mors_Gloria wrote:

Hmm, the BM scream is quite easy, once you get the hang of it. You just do the same as when you grunt (you can grunt, right?), without closing your mouth till it is one small circle. You just open your mouth fully, and start grunting. Ok, that sounds weird, but now just go up a little in pitch. You just tighten your throat in the same way as when you sing a little higher in normal vocals. Also quite important is that you do not put all the stress on your throat. When I scream, it comes mostly from my lungs, and my throat is quite relaxed. Also, if you read the pages, there is quite a lot explained that might help you with screaming.

I hope I've been a help... I know I suck at explaining things...

Ah yes, I can grunt. I'll try to do what you told me. Thanks a lot for the explanation dude.

crustcorestenchhead9
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 10:41 pm 

VACRMH wrote:
Lots of good info in here.

I'm wondering, any tips for vocals similar to Impaled or Carcass? I'm not familiar with the style, but i'm more interested in the...snarl? type vocals.

Also, I noticed my throat gets dry very quickly. Does drinking warm water and other remedy's (honey) provide a temporary solution or will it help things develop?

if by carcass you mean jeff walkers vocals then your just gonna do a normal death growl but open your mouth up more and growl so its higher....

BrutalDisembowelment
Slow on the Uptake

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 3:04 am 

I can do all metal vocals. My clean vocals sound like fucking shit though.

morbid1_
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 1:56 am 

Mainly Black/Death Metal. Behemoth - big influence.

I'll take your wenches, Tie them on benches, Feed them to a rat, 'cause I'm the Witchfinder General

Thorgrim_Honkronte
Imperius Rexxz

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 2:13 pm 

http://coryrichards.ceroprojects.com/Mu ... 20Test.mp3

Take a gander.

Strange Death Metal

pwd666
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 6:44 pm 

Sounds pretty good Thorgrim, it really is a plus for all styles if you can actually sing. I think I always underrate clean vocals. Give it a listen people.

morbid1_
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 8:58 pm 

ok.

I'll take your wenches, Tie them on benches, Feed them to a rat, 'cause I'm the Witchfinder General

morbid1_
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 8:59 pm 

Hey, not bad.

Galemir
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 2:46 pm 

A lot of the advice that I'm hearing here is good but kind of detrimental in the long run. If you desire scream/growl, previous lessons would be good. Singing cleanly is like the trunk of a tree, screams, growls, power metal style vocals, and even operatic vocals are all branches of that tree. With proper training you can do them all well and not damage your voice, but if you try to be loud or sound too harsh, you'll destroy yourself vocally. The trick is that if it feels good with absolutely NO pain or discomfort in any way whatsoever, you're doing fine. If not, then something needs to change. You don't need to be harsh on your poor vocal folds to sound harsh. Try getting a voice instructor, it's very helpful.

Sanguinus_Angelus
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 3:06 pm 

I need everyone's opinion on my bm vocals. Here's the myspace.
www.myspace.com/officialdecayingeden

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 44  Next