Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Thorgrim_Honkronte
Imperius Rexxz

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 1:32 pm 

There's nothing wrong with that at all.

Strange Death Metal

MattFrost
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 1:34 pm 

OzzyApu wrote:
So why DON'T artists just ditch their labels, record songs and put them online for a price, leading to the getting more money and working out something with their managers, stuff, or themselves on touring and doing their own routine?

1. Many of them cannot, because they signed contracts.

2. If an artist is leaning towards leaving the label, even for another label, the initial label won't promote them, and often try to bury them and sabotage their future success.

3. Many artists don't know how. Being a creative person is one thing, but not every creative soul knows business, or copyright law, or even where to begin, and this naivete can lead them to make bad decisions. Even if they hire a manager or an agent, they might end up getting ripped off by them, too.

The label offers are very tempting- you don't have to do anything but write, record, and tour, for the most part. The contracts are usually lopsided in favor of the labels- they make the lion's share of the money while you get their name and their publicity. The thing is, a lot of these deals sound sweet in the short term, but most bands end up owing the labels money in the end. Everything the label helps you with gets recouped from whatever CD royalty you get, so if you make 15 cents per CD sold, any tour support or extra merch your label spots you gets paid back out of that 15 cents per unit. Some of the contracts I've seen would give Machiavelli a crisis of conscience, but to many artists, they just don't look a few years down the line.

Thorgrim_Honkronte
Imperius Rexxz

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 1:35 pm 

It's not even 15 cents a unit, it's more like 8, if you're lucky. ;)

Strange Death Metal

MattFrost
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 1:36 pm 

orionmetalhead wrote:
Matt, my good friend, I will respond at some point when I have, well, a good time to respond. I don't want to give some half assed answer when you've taken, what seems to be, a lot of time to respond.

but...

i hope this doesnt become long cat.... I hate just scrolling past that thing....

If you want to just sum up as opposed to going quote by quote, that's cool. Meanwhile, I will await your reply in due time.

MattFrost
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 1:40 pm 

Leify wrote:
You've taken my statements out of context.

None of what I said is regarding labels, only with reconcile's problem with artists getting profits X amount of years into the future from their work.

OK, fair enough.

I don't have a problem with artists getting royalties and making money down the line.

However, I do not believe that in most cases, the artists will be the ones collecting that profit. It will be some jackoff in a suit who was pissing in diapers when that artist was touring and recording, and the artist will end up, if they're lucky, working in a music store or doing the nostalgia tours. Worst-case, well, watch a few Behind the Musics.

MattFrost
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 1:44 pm 

Thorgrim_Honkronte wrote:
It's not even 15 cents a unit, it's more like 8, if you're lucky. ;)

True that.

And let me add one more thing- major labels don't have crystal balls, they don't know what is going to catch on and what is going to flop, so they often sign a bunch of artists, dump money into them, and the ones who stick, great. The ones who don't end up chewed up and broken and dropped from the label. Then, the label can use all of that money they dumped into those bands as a tax writeoff. Think of it as a charitable donation, except when you donate to charity you help people. This is just a way to get an indirect tax subsidy, by signing bands that they can fund and then dropping them and writing them off. And those bands, even if they're good bands, seldom recover from that.

Thorgrim_Honkronte
Imperius Rexxz

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 1:48 pm 

Indeed, often the labels will just shelve the bands that do not sell well or get radio play within the first few weeks. And when they do get radio play, if they even show signs of dropping they'll cut their support for them just like that.

Talking about major labels and new bands, obviously.

Strange Death Metal

NeglectedField
Onwards to Camulodunum!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 1:52 pm 

Let's not beat around the bush here people, take a look at some of the people behind RIAA...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitch_Bainwol
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cary_Sherman

Both JEWS!

(Okay just kidding, I just miss Falconsbane's lols).

MattFrost
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 1:54 pm 

Indeed, often the labels will just shelve the bands that do not sell well or get radio play within the first few weeks. And when they do get radio play, if they even show signs of dropping they'll cut their support for them just like that.

Talking about major labels and new bands, obviously.

I iknow a band that got signed to a major and they just got sat on, by the time their turn came around for a push, that style of music had pretty much come and gone out of fashion, but legally there was nothing the band could do. The contract they signed gave the label almost complete control over the band, and even after the band asked to be dropped, they held them for 2 years. Then, after they were released, the band was radioactive, they couldn't get another deal, and their underground fans had long abandoned them for signing to a major. A shame, too, they were decent.

Thorgrim_Honkronte
Imperius Rexxz

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 2:00 pm 

A common trick labels use is to sign bands that they think will be a threat to the market of their existing top sellers, and just never record them. Effectively locking down anything they could do.

Obviously this is all negotiated in the contract. It's a shame so many bands/artists are poorly educated on the recording contracts. I bet many of them have gotten fucked over by controlled composition clauses.

Strange Death Metal

norilor
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 3:48 pm 

Haha, I lol'd at the Jewish RIAA.

Anyway, most metal record companies are not part of the RIAA. The RIAA can only sue you if you download a cd from one of the companies they represent.

In short, just don't download popular music such as led zep, ACDC, etc.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 3:57 pm 

norilor wrote:

Anyway, most metal record companies are not part of the RIAA. The RIAA can only sue you if you download a cd from one of the companies they represent.

If this is true, then what metal labels ARE part of the 1 R, 1 I, 2 A? Just so I can avoid them.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

wight_ghoul
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 4:05 pm 

OzzyApu wrote:
If this is true, then what metal labels ARE part of the 1 R, 1 I, 2 A? Just so I can avoid them.

http://www.riaaradar.com/

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 4:29 pm 

wight_ghoul wrote:
OzzyApu wrote:

http://www.riaaradar.com/

Lol in that case, I've been safe for years :lol:

I still have stuff though under "Warning"s that I want to get :(
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

The_Count
Village Idiot

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 4:30 pm 

:lol: Sorrow Throughout the Nine Worlds is a warning. This is a pretty nifty website.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 4:31 pm 

Opeth fanboys better beware now :lol:

Edit: Ah fuck Obituary is on a major label, I didn't realize that -

Shit no more "uuuuuuuuHChOPPED IN HAAAALFLFF!!!"

RegularK
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 4:47 pm 

norilor wrote:

It doesn't really matter. They will slam you with downloading stuff that you didn't and take you to court over it. Force you to pay their $15,000 out of court settlement or you can fight them over it in court that would cost a lot more.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 4:50 pm 

RegularK wrote:
It doesn't really matter. They will slam you with downloading stuff that you didn't and take you to court over it. Force you to pay their $15,000 out of court settlement or you can fight them over it in court that would cost a lot more.

How the fuck can they do that? If you didn't download something under their jurisdiction, then they can't possibly try you for stealing "their" property.

The_Count
Village Idiot

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 4:52 pm 

OzzyApu wrote:
RegularK wrote:

How the fuck can they do that? If you didn't download something under their jurisdiction, then they can't possibly try you for stealing "their" property.

They cant... Clearly we have an RIAA fear monger in our ranks spreading discontent amongst the populace!

Thorgrim_Honkronte
Imperius Rexxz

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 4:53 pm 

The_Count wrote:
OzzyApu wrote:
RegularK wrote:

They cant... Clearly we have an RIAA fear monger in our ranks spreading discontent amongst the populace!

Indeed.

Strange Death Metal

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 4:54 pm 

The_Count wrote:

TO THE GALLOWS!!

SigurdOrSiegfried
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 10:39 pm 

RIAA Radar deems Absu's Tara and Ayreon's The Human Equation safe to download. Because there is no SG distribution for both of these albums, I need to download them unless someone can direct me to a source where I can purchase the album.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 10:46 pm 

SigurdOrSiegfried wrote:
RIAA Radar deems Absu's Tara and Ayreon's The Human Equation safe to download. Because there is no SG distribution for both of these albums, I need to download them unless someone can direct me to a source where I can purchase the album.

1. Google

2. Type in (without quotes) "Ayreon The Human Equation rapidshare" (replace rapidshare with mediafire or megaupload or whatever uploader you want if needed)

3. Find a suitable blog to download it from

SigurdOrSiegfried
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 11:03 pm 

OzzyApu wrote:
SigurdOrSiegfried wrote:

1. Google

2. Type in (without quotes) "Ayreon The Human Equation rapidshare" (replace rapidshare with mediafire or megaupload or whatever uploader you want if needed)

3. Find a suitable blog to download it from

No use Soulseek?

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 11:10 pm 

SigurdOrSiegfried wrote:
No use Soulseek?

You can, but its A LOT quicker just downloading via a blog because you get the entire album faster than downloading each individual song. This is especially true if you AREN'T using rapidshare / megaupload, but something like mediafire, zshare, or gigasize.

The_Count
Village Idiot

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 11:53 pm 

OzzyApu wrote:
SigurdOrSiegfried wrote:
No use Soulseek?

You can, but its A LOT quicker just downloading via a blog because you get the entire album faster than downloading each individual song. This is especially true if you AREN'T using rapidshare / megaupload, but something like mediafire, zshare, or gigasize.

Not to mention I have yet to read about someone getting sued using blogs. Someone said earlier it was illegal for them to catch you by using blogs. Anyone else have any info on that?

The_Count
Village Idiot

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 11:54 pm 

edit: damn double post.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 12:06 am 

Why do people complain about double posting? You DO, I repeat, DO have an "X" at the top right of your post where you can delete your repeated post and not have to worry about it.

The_Count
Village Idiot

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 12:35 am 

OzzyApu wrote:
Why do people complain about double posting? You DO, I repeat, DO have an "X" at the top right of your post where you can delete your repeated post and not have to worry about it.

:lol: never knew it was there. Does it go away after a certain amount of time or something?

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 12:39 am 

The "x" is there for as long as I remember

The post is immediately deleted, as if it never existed

Thorgrim_Honkronte
Imperius Rexxz

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 12:41 am 

The delete option is only for your immediately last post made.

Strange Death Metal

The_Count
Village Idiot

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 12:44 am 

The delete option is only for your immediately last post made.

Ah ok gotcha. That is very useful info for such a net Rtard like me.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 12:59 am 

Oh, is it? Nevermind what I said then.

MetalStrikesDown
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 1:19 am 

So after reading basically all the posts so far I either didn't see it or just forgot what I read....if I download albums or any files from torrent files can I just not seed the file and I won't be able to be caught for it? Unless of course I am seeding or in the process of downloading it?

Back to what some other people said I would not have found some of my favorite bands/albums if it was not for my random downloading sprees, bands such as Gorod, 3 Inches of Blood, Aorted, Death, Apocalyptica, Arsis, Athiest, Bolt Thrower, Bal-Sagoth, Die Apokalyptischen Reiter, Dying Fetus, Finntroll, and numerous other bands (I know some of these bands are popular on this site and in general in other places, but this is how I found out about them). Also I do own a large amount of merchandise from bands that I have downloaded the albums, and if they come through my area I will go see them if enough of my money is available.

paskogen
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 1:20 am 

OzzyApu wrote:

opeth said safe actually

Manowar is fucking your chick regardless of the condoms.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 1:28 am 

paskogen wrote:
OzzyApu wrote:

opeth said safe actually

Fanboys don't dig the old stuff - fanboys dig the new stuff. The new stuff is on Roadrunner...

Ash90
The Boy King of All Village Idiots

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 7:46 am 

Is it me, or does this Riaaradius page have a fuckload of errors?

Also if you've previously downloaded these albums, and you're not downloading the artist, can you still be caught? Assuming you hide your files on P2P programs then you're safe right?. Also how exactly do you get caught? Downloading off a RIAA person on the P2P program, or are there all types of ways? Sorry if this has been answered. I don't remember...

Ash90
The Boy King of All Village Idiots

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 7:55 am 

This is a late response to a very early post about politicians knowing nothing about internet/computers. Don't be naive, they're going to get people who kno everything about computers, the internet, the whole thing. Don't forget this is the American Government we're talking about here. The most poweful force in the world. Atleast after Hitler's very successful regime.

caspian
Old Man Yells at Car Park

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 9:31 am 

Quote:
"By providing additional resources for enforcement of intellectual property, we ensure that innovation and creativity will continue to prosper in our society," Judiciary Committee Chairman John Conyers (D-Mich) said in a statement.

Because before copyright law came about, there was hardly any innovation or creativity AT ALL.

Retards. Art did perfectly well over the thousands of years that copyright law didn't exist.

Glad I live in Australia. I will still buy my CDs, and I will also continue to download music.

MattFrost
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 12:36 pm 

OzzyApu wrote:
RegularK wrote:

They will try and figure in that for every song you got caught downloading, you got away with two or three times as much, so they inflate the damages they seek based on what you might have downloaded.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next