Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Crackerblower
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 8:40 pm 

Most I ever spent on an album was $90 for 2 Benediction vinyls. The Subconscious Terror LP and the Dark is the Season EP. One had a skip but I didn't mind as I mostly bought 'em for the cover art.

I'm seriously considering plunking down $90 for the Vulcano - Live! LP just 'cause l like the cover.

MoDoS
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 2:06 am 

edge_of_tranquility wrote:
yeah, I really wouldnt spend any money on a rare album, it'll sound the same if I download it, and I'll save money

Hahahahahaha!

Wrath_Of_War
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 4:00 am 

ThrashingMad wrote:
Napero wrote:
The most expensive CD I own is HIM's first EP, limited to 1000 copies in a digipack. Mine is used but in relatively good condition, listened by myself three times. I paid 8 FIM (1,2 €) for it in 1997, and it's for sale for anyone interested, for a nominal price of 1000 €. I've seen it go up to 1805 US$ on EBay.

$1805 dollars for something limited to 1000 copies, that's completely retarded.
I just found something that beat this on the retarded scale.

This isn't metal, but I believe it was limited to 1000 copies, and you can't even prove it's not a bootleg. Check this out.
Absurd price for slipknot CD Check out the "Buy it now" price

swedeath666
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 5:36 pm 

http://cgi.ebay.pl/EXCRUCIATE-Passage-O ... dZViewItem

Next HERO!

PlagueRages
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 6:14 pm 

My cousin was telling me yesterday about when he went to visit a record dealer friend, when he was there the dude showed him the actual master copy of Iron Maiden's The Soundhouse Tapes, verrified 100% the real deal, he didn't say how much he was going to ask for it.

IWP
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 11:13 pm 

Anyone who pays more than $20-25 on a single cd is foolish, in my opinion.

CDanner
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 12:40 am 

IWP wrote:

Some people, like myself, enjoy collecting CDs.

Gutterscream
The Last Old Schooler in Town

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 9:12 am 

IWP wrote:

You can't get some imports for less e.g. Japanese w/ like 13 bonus songs.
"No, Lair...but that's a pretty damn good name too!".

Remnants_Of_Gore
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 7:58 pm 

IWP wrote:

What does that make the person who paid $50 for the Metallica "I Disappear" single from me?

Kruel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 8:00 pm 

Remnants_Of_Gore wrote:
IWP wrote:

What does that make the person who paid $50 for the Metallica "I Disappear" single from me?
A lunatic.
yeah, it's ironic, they are so pretentious, yet one can say that at least they don't pretend. They don't release some techno-rap-whatever album and say "on this record we tried to sound like in our old days"

mikeabo123
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 10:48 pm 

For something I really really wanted, I'd probably pay a maximum sum of about 50 dollar's or so.

Wrath_Of_War
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 8:12 am 

swedeath666 wrote:
http://cgi.ebay.pl/EXCRUCIATE-Passage-Of-Life-cd-Thrash-Records-1993-SS_W0QQitemZ200210228884QQihZ010QQcategoryZ307QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Next HERO!
C'mon, if a CD is this expensive, I'm just going to download it on soulseek :lol: The person that listed the Slipknot CD for $3000 should be kicked in the balls. It's probably a bootleg too :lol:

peterott
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 3:00 pm 

Wrath_Of_War wrote:
swedeath666 wrote:
http://cgi.ebay.pl/EXCRUCIATE-Passage-Of-Life-cd-Thrash-Records-1993-SS_W0QQitemZ200210228884QQihZ010QQcategoryZ307QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Next HERO!
C'mon, if a CD is this expensive, I'm just going to download it on soulseek :lol: The person that listed the Slipknot CD for $3000 should be kicked in the balls. It's probably a bootleg too :lol:

but remember: there are still people who buy the stuff eagerly, despite such prices. If you like stamps you don't print them out on your laserprinter and put them in the stamp-album ?

DaBuddha
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 8:07 pm 

I've got my eye on a few goodies right now, namely:

Antaeus - CYFAWS LP
Fullmoon - United Aryan Evil LP
Bathory - The Return LP
Mutiilation - Ten Years... DLP
We spread our wings and fly away

Just tell Nocturno Culto you were too busy getting stoned to burn down churches, he'll understand.
Darkthrone - My Anti-Drug

Sva_Batalion
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 8:13 pm 

Seriously, I would pay like 500 € for a Vinyl version of Temnozor´s "Folkstorm of the Azure Nights" , just because it means so much to me.

emperor_zola
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 8:16 pm 

peterott wrote:
swedeath666 wrote:
http://www.allegro.pl/item325943285_death_metal_biblia_seraphic_decay_1990_vol_ii_fak_.html

KILL"EM ALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL
391 USD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

is this a real Seraphic Decay release, or a bootleg ?

I think this one is a nice bootleg... Anyways it's sold for a nice price.
If it's not a boot, then someone can masturbate to that now...

emperor_zola
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 8:18 pm 

Sva_Batalion wrote:
Seriously, I would pay like 500 € for a Vinyl version of Temnozor´s "Folkstorm of the Azure Nights" , just because it means so much to me.

I have to keep my eyes open and if I can get a copy, I'll tell you :D

emperor_zola
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 8:27 pm 

peterott wrote:
Wrath_Of_War wrote:

but remember: there are still people who buy the stuff eagerly, despite such prices. If you like stamps you don't print them out on your laserprinter and put them in the stamp-album ?

I used to have more than 25K albums (!!!) in mp3, metal only (from NWOBHM to the latest demos, thanks for the teams like berc, gravewish, etc...). Many times the coverscans are also included in the folder. Then what? You can not take your fav' albums into your hands, the DVD-R can be damaged and soon the data will starts to disappear from the disc, etc etc...

Excellent example to mention the collector of stamps!

If you are not a collector, you won't understand this. This is the drug for us. Like searching for the Holy Grail, haha!

Sva_Batalion
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 9:05 pm 

emperor_zola wrote:
Sva_Batalion wrote:

Yeah, but there is none ;)

Nordic_Warhammer
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 9:08 pm 

Sva_Batalion wrote:
emperor_zola wrote:
Sva_Batalion wrote:

Maybe/hopefully some day. I would personally really like to see Horizons make it onto vinyl.

Vorfahren: Neofolk from the Pacific Northwest https://vorfahren.bandcamp.com/releases

emperor_zola
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 9:11 pm 

Sva_Batalion wrote:

For that amount of money I'll press a copy for you! ;)

Sva_Batalion
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 9:14 pm 

Nordic_Warhammer wrote:
Sva_Batalion wrote:
emperor_zola wrote:
Sva_Batalion wrote:

Maybe/hopefully some day. I would personally really like to see Horizons make it onto vinyl.

I think I read some old news somewhere about the albums being released on vinyl, but sice they were old, I think they might have discarded the idea...

@emperor_zola

Go then :D

emperor_zola
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 9:41 pm 

Sva_Batalion wrote:
@emperor_zola

Go then :D

As for me, 500Euro pronounced a bit differently, like inspiration or motivation :D

Pants
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 1:41 am 

How much did those Burzum original artwork paintings end up going for on Ebay?

The_Beholder
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 5:40 am 

peterott wrote:
Wrath_Of_War wrote:
swedeath666 wrote:
Exactly, that's the point I wanted to get to. Or, well, where I can't get to. I mean, why? Why that materialistic desire to possess the thing? I simply can't understand it. Music for me is not about having the physical release, is about listening to it and enjoying it and so on, it's just the opposite to the material thing.
Especially with the first pressings, most of the time the re-releases are more valuable, they are often remastered and have bonus tracks. I own the original Drowned pressing of Demigod's "Slumber Of Sullen Eyes" but the fact is that the Xtreem Music re-release is remastered and has the "Unholy Domain" demo as bonus. Why paying 50-100-whatever € for the original pressing? Which is its real value? Just to fancy you "where" there? That's so stupid I can't understand it. I "was" there, but just because of my age, that doesn't make me more "important" or whatever than someone who's younger and missed the days but still enjoys the music as much as me, I missed so many things from that time anyway. I missed Katatonia's "Saw You Drown", (yes, I somewhat collect things too, that's the only Katatonia original pressing I don't have) but, voilà, they re-release it on the "Brave Yester Days" compilation and I am as happy as with the original. In fact, the "funny" thing is to be in the right place the right time, do you realize how many obscure things are being released today that in 10-20 year's time will be so looked after? Just having the money to pay for it on eBay kills the merit for me, if you weren't lucky having the original then where's the point?
Sorry if I upset someone, but I needed to clearly expose my points of view. It's just that I'm completely unable to understand it. Maybe someone could explose their reasons to pay 100€ for (sorry if I repeat myself) "a piece of paper and plastic" (which is usually re-released, or otherwise can be downloaded and enjoyed the same)?
emperor_zola wrote:
peterott wrote:
Wrath_Of_War wrote:
I used to have more than 25K albums (!!!) in mp3, metal only (from NWOBHM to the latest demos, thanks for the teams like berc, gravewish, etc...). Many times the coverscans are also included in the folder.
Well, let me say you that I find having 25000 albums as stupid as collecting. It's just the same thing: having, having, having... it's impossible to listen to them all, so where's the point then?
emperor_zola wrote:
Then what? You can not take your fav' albums into your hands, the DVD-R can be damaged and soon the data will starts to disappear from the disc, etc etc...
Then what? Ever heard of back-up copies? A physical release is more subject to damage than a digital one, where you can make several back-up copies, while the original is, well, the original: you can only have one; if it gets damaged you are fucked.
This reminds me of a topic I saw I while back (searched but didn't find, sorry) where some guy told about buying an album on eBay, then ripping it to the computer and never listening to the cd... that's the absurdest thing I can think of. What's the difference between that and just downloading it? Aren't you listening to the same mp3's? Only with 100 bucks less in the wallet, oh and the original pressing, which you ain't going to listen to anymore. What then? Put it on an altar and idolatrize it? So retarded...

SymphonyofPower
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 7:15 am 

good question, beholder.

I collect rare cds for a few different reasons

1. I see them as investments, for one. I try to buy cds as cheaply as possible, because when the day comes to sell them, I should make a good profit.

2. I like having the best quality of anything I buy, and imo, the originals usually provide the best quality. Remastering is nothing, but a bad gimmick to sucker in people to buy an album again or for the 3rd time. If you do some research on cd remastering, you'll find out that the audio quality is actually worsened by the typical MODERN remastering process(post 1996). If you don't believe me, compare the 1998 Maiden remasters to the originals or even the 1995 versions. Keltic label Morbid Saint to the original, etc. etc. I could go on forever. Better sound, my arse. search youtube: loudness war

3. I used to download pop singles with audiogalaxy and napster back in the day. Pretty much every song I wanted I could easily find, but when my focus switched to metal, I hit a brick wall. I noticed I was spending much more time searching for mp3s than actual listening. I would also get frustrated when I couldn't finish dls on soulseek/dc++ or there weren't any seeds on a torrent. I got used to that instant gratification.

Nowadays, when I want to hear something, I'll buy it and listen to it a few times. If it doesn't click with me then I'll sell it on ebay(usually for a small profit). I noticed that I tend to appreciate what I listen to a lot more by doing that. I try not to swamp myself with too much music like I used to do when I downloaded.

Well, theres a little more I wanted to say, but I'm too tired to remember what it was, so i'm going to call it a night.

edit:About not actually using the CD. I agree, it is dumb not to use them. Thats what they were intended to be used for. I would play my cds on my dvdrw, but it's scratched too many of mine already. I only use the dvdrw to slow burn mp3s for me. I'm definitely going to use my cds when I get a proper stereo system tho

thecorpsetree
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 7:41 am 

Cd's don't hold much interest for me, but I'm willing to spent quite a bit on vinyl.

Paid $50AUD for a picture disc version of Appetite for Destruction with the original artwork, and $40 for a Nuclear Death limited edition 7".

Have also picked up a lot of bargains too, like Carcass's Reek of Putrefaction with the original artwork for $12, and a NWOBHM compliation for $8, that is worth around $300AUD. Record fairs are awesome.

I would pay a ridiculous amount of money an original copy of Marquis De Sade's "Somewhere up in the Mountains" EP. It usually goes for around $500+US.

EternalEnemy wrote:
"My god carries a hammer, your god died nailed to a cross"

Gutterscream

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 10:30 am 

thecorpsetree wrote:
and a NWOBHM compliation for $8, that is worth around $300AUD.

:drool: pray tell, which one (drooling for the investment side of the matter).

The_Beholder:

Tell you what. You download. I'll buy. It's my money afterall, and I like to smell my music.

korgull
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 10:43 am 

The_Beholder wrote:
This reminds me of a topic I saw I while back (searched but didn't find, sorry) where some guy told about buying an album on eBay, then ripping it to the computer and never listening to the cd... that's the absurdest thing I can think of. What's the difference between that and just downloading it? Aren't you listening to the same mp3's?

Maybe he ripped it using a lossless format.

Napero
GedankenPanzer

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 10:46 am 

Gutterscream wrote:
The_Beholder:

Tell you what. You download. I'll buy. It's my money afterall, and I like to smell my music.

:nods:

~Guest 93445
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 1:55 am 

LOL

Last edited by ~Guest 93445 on Sat Mar 29, 2008 3:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kruel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 2:10 am 

Deathcrush on $666.66
Quote:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Mayhem-Deathcrush-LP-Gold-Vinyl-Posercorpse-Lim-1000_W0QQitemZ290209962018QQihZ019QQcategoryZ306QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQ_trksidZp1638.m118.l1247QQcmdZViewItem
yeah, it's ironic, they are so pretentious, yet one can say that at least they don't pretend. They don't release some techno-rap-whatever album and say "on this record we tried to sound like in our old days"

CDanner
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 2:19 am 

Kruel wrote:
Deathcrush on $666.66
Quote:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Mayhem-Deathcrush-LP-Gold-Vinyl-Posercorpse-Lim-1000_W0QQitemZ290209962018QQihZ019QQcategoryZ306QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQ_trksidZp1638.m118.l1247QQcmdZViewItem

The funny thing is that I'd buy that if I had the spare money. Too bad I have to miss out. I would love to own that.

thecorpsetree
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 3:00 am 

Gutterscream wrote:
thecorpsetree wrote:

http://www.metal-archives.com/release.php?id=164083 - This is it.

I picked it up out of a box because the cover is genius, flipped it over and saw what bands were on it and thought "classic". I bought it for my bf as he is a massive NWOBHM freak, then looked it up when we got home and saw some distro selling it for $120 Euros. I should have kept it for myself!!

Gutterscream wrote:
The_Beholder:

Couldn't agree more. I have never downloaded and just don't see the point. It's just too easy and takes all the excitement out of discovering new bands.

Music isn't just about the songs, it's about the packaging and artwork and booklets and having a real thing to hold in your hands while you listen to the songs.

EternalEnemy wrote:
"My god carries a hammer, your god died nailed to a cross"

The_Beholder
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 5:07 am 

The_Beholder wrote:
Maybe someone could explose their reasons to pay 100€ for (sorry if I repeat myself) "a piece of paper and plastic" (which is usually re-released, or otherwise can be downloaded and enjoyed the same)?
Gutterscream wrote:
The_Beholder:
Napero wrote:
Gutterscream wrote:
The_Beholder:
:nods:
thecorpsetree wrote:
Gutterscream wrote:
The_Beholder:
Couldn't agree more. I have never downloaded and just don't see the point. It's just too easy and takes all the excitement out of discovering new bands.
Music isn't just about the songs, it's about the packaging and artwork and booklets and having a real thing to hold in your hands while you listen to the songs.
You guys obviously didn't read my post thoroughly. It was not about buying vs. downloading. It was about buying vs. paying shitloads of money. What I just wanted to know, if someone's wishing to tell me, is why to pay for the first pressing 4 or 5 times the prize of a re-release, just because "the packaging and artwork and booklets". These things look so secondary to me to pay such a difference of money.
And, well, just to clear things up, I own 500+ original cd's, and some 120-130 downloaded albums. I'm evidently for having a physical product in my hands. So that's not the point, again. Is it clear, or it isn't?

Gutterscream

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 10:25 am 

thecorpsetree wrote:
Gutterscream wrote:
thecorpsetree wrote:

http://www.metal-archives.com/release.php?id=164083 - This is it.

I picked it up out of a box because the cover is genius, flipped it over and saw what bands were on it and thought "classic". I bought it for my bf as he is a massive NWOBHM freak, then looked it up when we got home and saw some distro selling it for $120 Euros. I should have kept it for myself!!

I had two compilations in mind that I knew went for about that much (continually) and that was one of them. That IS a nice grab. It's very sellable and sought after, and I probably would've held onto it for a few years to see the flow of supply and demand. Admittedly though, I sometimes have a hard time letting go of things.

norilor
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 12:06 pm 

I am currently debating if I should buy a demo from a band I really like. Regardless, I will post the ebay info and price when the biding is over.

norilor
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 8:18 pm 

Arckanum demo '93 for 60 USD.

churches
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 10:00 pm 

I bought Mayhem's Dawn of the Black Hearts at a flea market, it cost me 10 bucks. The other day i saw at ebay the same Cd at $65. I guess i had good luck.

Kruel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 10:13 pm 

churches wrote:
I bought Mayhem's Dawn of the Black Hearts at a flea market, it cost me 10 bucks. The other day i saw at ebay the same Cd at $65. I guess i had good luck.

Or maybe that $65 was unreasonably high...

http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dl ... category0=

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 82  Next