Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
The_Boss
Set Abominae

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 11:37 am 

Does anyone know of anything similar to Manticora's 8 Deadly Sins? In the way of it being hyper fast blend of speed, power, thrash etc.. I know of bands like Biomechanical and Persuader are there any others?

Kokopelli
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 12:13 pm 

Wonder if anyone can help me find more Power metal with folk influences along the lines of Falconer, wuthering heights, elvenking or even some alestorm.

Though not power metal, bands similar to Heidvolk would also be welcome.

0kill
Patron Saint of Burglary

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 12:24 pm 

Thanks to everyone for the recs you guys gave me last page. I haven't checked out all the bands yet, but Crystal Viper is definitely the shit. :headbang:

- John Calvin.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 1:30 pm 

C'mon guys, the first rule of dealing with trolls is DO NOT TALK TO TROLLS. The second rule of dealing with trolls is DO NOT TALK TO TROLLS. At this point I think you can probably guess rules 3-5. Anyway, I cleaned up the topic.

Snowgrave
Under The Plaintive Sky

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 1:32 pm 

Kokopelli wrote:
Wonder if anyone can help me find more Power metal with folk influences along the lines of Falconer, wuthering heights, elvenking or even some alestorm.

Spellblast should suit your needs.

Skiltron may be worth checking out as well, although the folk aspect is stronger than the power metal aspect.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 5:19 pm 

So Blind Guardian's Imaginations has been growing stale on me lately, and upon trying Persuader's Evolution Purgatory finally, I can say that it's what BG would've sounded like in an ideal world, but never really got into doing.

Who knows, though. Maybe Imaginations will click for me again sometime. If not, I guess I'll just have to write a new review.

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 8:07 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
So Blind Guardian's Imaginations has been growing stale on me lately, and upon trying Persuader's Evolution Purgatory finally, I can say that it's what BG would've sounded like in an ideal world, but never really got into doing.

Who knows, though. Maybe Imaginations will click for me again sometime. If not, I guess I'll just have to write a new review.

Personally, I've always liked Somewhere Far Beyond the best from them. It still had that aggressive speedy edge that their earlier material did, while incorporating all their Tolkien/epic touches or whatever. So I just see it as their best and most original release. I think Imaginations is really awesome myself, though I think that is kind of where they started to get a bit ... pompous, you could say? Hell I even like some stuff on Nightfall, but it's just not as intense and doesn't stand out for me.

Though I still don't care for most of the choruses on Somewhere Far Beyond, they're just a little too sappy/sing-along-ey ...lol.

Edit: Yeah, I thougth I remember you reviewed that one. Uh, whelp I guess we agree. :P

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 8:49 pm 

We don't need to talk about those reviews, though. They are old and sort of lame and crusty now.

Yeah, I'm leaning towards SFB too, although I rarely ever listen to the band as a whole these days anyway. The choruses are good, though. :p

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 9:48 am 

Empyreal wrote:
We don't need to talk about those reviews, though. They are old and sort of lame and crusty now.

Yeah, I'm leaning towards SFB too, although I rarely ever listen to the band as a whole these days anyway. The choruses are good, though. :p

I used to be a big Blind Guardian fan, but to be honest I haven't touched them in at least a year or two; one of these days I'll revisit all their albums and see if I still like them. However, I can say that my most recent opinion was that SFB was indeed the best one, for more or less the reasons Xeogred mentioned. Imaginations struck me as being a little too one-sided and shallow despite being fun and flamboyant and catchy, and Nightfall had some really awesome songs (all the more awesome since I'm a huge fan of the Silmarillion), but also just goes on for far, far too long.

Snowgrave
Under The Plaintive Sky

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 6:48 pm 

I'm on a Spanish power metal binge right now. There are so many great acts from Spain that I've recently discovered. :metal:

hells_unicorn
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 6:50 pm 

Snowgrave wrote:
I'm on a Spanish power metal binge right now. There are so many great acts from Spain that I've recently discovered. :metal:

If you haven't heard them yet and you like a little Prog. mixed in with your Power, check out Arwen.
Ominous Glory Facebook

My reviews.

R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio (July 14, 1942 - May 16, 2010)

Snowgrave
Under The Plaintive Sky

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 6:53 pm 

hells_unicorn wrote:
Snowgrave wrote:

If you haven't heard them yet and you like a little Prog. mixed in with your Power, check out Arwen.

I just discovered them actually, and read your review of their latest album like 15 minutes ago. :p I have yet to listen to them, but I will check them out next. Thanks!

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 7:36 pm 

failsafeman wrote:
Empyreal wrote:

I used to be a big Blind Guardian fan, but to be honest I haven't touched them in at least a year or two; one of these days I'll revisit all their albums and see if I still like them. However, I can say that my most recent opinion was that SFB was indeed the best one, for more or less the reasons Xeogred mentioned. Imaginations struck me as being a little too one-sided and shallow despite being fun and flamboyant and catchy, and Nightfall had some really awesome songs (all the more awesome since I'm a huge fan of the Silmarillion), but also just goes on for far, far too long.

Yeah, I can't remember the last time I listened to them myself. Not a band I really go back to anymore thesedays, but I'm sure if I did I could enjoy myself with some of their stuff. I've also liked Hansi vocals, since he's kind of a one of a kind, not a lot of people out there sound quite like him (actually to be honest I hated him at first a few years ago but, eventually I started to like him though with my evolution through metal or whatever). But along with the bands "change of direction" I guess you could say, he got a little happy with the vocal effects / layers and all that crap which I just didn't care for.

Also, I know it's typically a hit or miss for most, but I've always been a big fan of their debut also, I'd probably say it's my second favorite album from them. It's definitely very different, just like Running Wild's debut, Helloween's, etc, just straight up German speed metal but it definitely manages to have some memorable tunes (Hansi himself sounds like a different person almost). I think "Majesty" is easily a favorite among many, they seem to play this one live fairly often too. Though I really can't say anything to backup their follow up to that one, "Follow the Blind" (just like Running Wild's second speed metal offering as well, "Branded and Exiled") ... I've never really cared for those two.

666head
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 8:22 pm 

Snowgrave wrote:

Yeah, Spanish power metal is the crunchiest type out of European power metal. Mind recommending me something. All I know is Dark Moor, Tierra Santa, Red Wine, Mägo de Oz, and Saurom Lamderth. I'd really appreciate it, thanks.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 9:15 pm 

Xeogred wrote:
Also, I know it's typically a hit or miss for most, but I've always been a big fan of their debut also, I'd probably say it's my second favorite album from them. It's definitely very different, just like Running Wild's debut, Helloween's, etc, just straight up German speed metal but it definitely manages to have some memorable tunes (Hansi himself sounds like a different person almost). I think "Majesty" is easily a favorite among many, they seem to play this one live fairly often too. Though I really can't say anything to backup their follow up to that one, "Follow the Blind" (just like Running Wild's second speed metal offering as well, "Branded and Exiled") ... I've never really cared for those two.

I actually prefer BG's debut to RW's. Not that I dislike Gates to Purgatory, it's just that despite being entertaining it's always seemed rather bland to me. I mean, compared to something over-the-top like Agent Steele it just seems rather workmanlike.

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 9:21 pm 

failsafeman wrote:
Xeogred wrote:

I actually prefer BG's debut to RW's. Not that I dislike Gates to Purgatory, it's just that despite being entertaining it's always seemed rather bland to me. I mean, compared to something over-the-top like Agent Steele it just seems rather workmanlike.

Yeah I'm not too big on Running Wild's debut honestly, for what they were going for I'd say the songs were just a little too slow, compared to BG's debut, Helloween's, Warrant, etc.

I'll easily put Agent Steel above all those though, heh. Just me. I guess I'm a little biased with the US sometimes though but, it's typically where most of my favorites come from.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 9:39 pm 

Yea, personally I'm not a big fan of German heavy/power/speed in general. Guess all their real talent went into thrash. :P

Remnants_Of_Gore
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 12:58 am 

failsafeman wrote:
Yea, personally I'm not a big fan of German heavy/power/speed in general. Guess all their real talent went into thrash. :P

:nono:

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 11:46 am 

Oh, except for Accept, I guess. They're badass.

~Guest 76452
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 3:10 pm 

The_Boss wrote:
Does anyone know of anything similar to Manticora's 8 Deadly Sins? In the way of it being hyper fast blend of speed, power, thrash etc.. I know of bands like Biomechanical and Persuader are there any others?

Tyrant Eyes might be worth checking out - they're a good mix of thrash/power/prog and are slightly dark. There's room for improvement though, but the first song off their second album is really good.

Valley's Eve may be of interest as well.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 3:12 pm 

The_Boss wrote:

It's a bit obvious, but how do you like newer Rage?

gregor104
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 12:38 am 

I am looking for power metal where the singer tends to stay in low to mid range. Similar to Kamelot, Falconer, and Iced Earth

666head
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 5:04 am 

gregor104 wrote:
I am looking for power metal where the singer tends to stay in low to mid range. Similar to Kamelot, Falconer, and Iced Earth

Brainstorm, Symphorce and The Lord Weird Slough Feg should be right up your alley.

xdarkniterainx
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 5:16 am 

The_Boss wrote:
Well if you like Matt Barlow, obviously get some Iced Earth.

As well as starters for power metal (since you said you're not big on it so far), try these:

Blind Guardian - Imaginations From the Other Side
Demons & Wizards - Touched by the Crimson King.
Gamma Ray - Somewhere Out in Space
Firewind - Forged by Fire
\

all of those are in my top 5 right now. finished off by a combo of iced earth-something wicked this way comes and mystic prophecy-vengeance

fluffy_ferret
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 11:11 am 

All the recommendations by Empyreal and Xeogred are top notch. Great taste.

Tad Morose and (especially) Manticora require time to sink in. Lots of repeated listens. They are probably in the top 5 best current active power metal bands so it's worth it.

Myself, i'm listening mostly to Tyrant these days. They are one of a kind, and 'Too late to pray' is their masterpiece. Difficult to get into for sure, but it's one of the most interesting bands of the 80s. Never has been, never will be another band quite like that.

The_Boss
Set Abominae

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 11:57 am 

Perdition666 wrote:
The_Boss wrote:

Tyrant Eyes might be worth checking out - they're a good mix of thrash/power/prog and are slightly dark. There's room for improvement though, but the first song off their second album is really good.

Valley's Eve may be of interest as well.

Thanks, I will check those out.

And yes Empyreal, I know of newer Rage, it's alright.

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 11:59 am 

I still gotta say Rage never clicked for me, none of their albums really. Maybe just cause I heard bands like Iron Savior, Grim Reaper, etc first ... I dunno.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 12:01 pm 

Same here, and I heard Rage quite early in my metal career. I've heard all eras, and while I don't hate any of their stuff, I have to say they've always felt incurably mediocre to me. Usually a few choruses or verses an album will really click with me, but as a whole I've never been able to enjoy any Rage album much.

enola
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 2:03 pm 

can anybody recommend me some power metal like hibria or brimstone

Masked_Jackal
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 11:03 pm 

I've been in a USPM kind of mood for the last two or three days. Even though it seems impossible, I can't survive on listening to Ample Destruction more then a few times a day (weird, I know).

What would be some good material similar to Griffin's Flight of the Griffin, Savage Grace's Master of Disguise or Fates Warning's Night On Bröcken?

Balls+melody is the bottom line.

And epic shrieks that put a numb feeling in your gooch.

Edit: Also, does anyone know why Jim Matheos hates NoB? Seriously, that shit rules.

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 11:32 pm 

Epic shrieks? USPM? Apollo Ra. :nods:
(oh and like always ... I'll just be throwing out classic suggestions here, lol)
Knowing you though, I'm sure you've heard a lot of these ... here goes!

Also, I don't think failsafeman likes it too much (last I heard) but I think Proud Existence The Trial is really good. Kind of has the same atmosphere as Griffin's debut I'd say. Not US but, sounds like it. Another one from (Hol) that I think is really good would be Defender. City ad Mortis is great.

I'm assuming you've heard some of the essential stuff: Liege Lord (don't skip their first two!), Helstar, Omen (well no shrieking here), etc? Attacker is one I forget about sometimes, their first two albums are great. Though the vocals on the debut are kind of egh, vocalist on the Second Coming is great though, shriektastic and not annoying.

Commandment (US) is cool but, like my review kind of says ... they're one of those "at first" kind of bands. They wear off a bit after awhile, still worth hearing.

In terms of nice melodic speed/power metal in the vein of Savage Grace's debut, I think it's a bit hard to match that one, big favorite of mine. Agent Steel's first two are up there. You might dig Abattoir's first two albums. Good stuff, but not mind blowing or anything I'd say.

Vicious Rumors first two are great.

Cloven Hoof's Dominator and A Sultan's Ransom could work.

Tyrant Legions Of The Dead insane shrieking with an incredible vocalist (one of my favorites). The follow up Too Late To Pray is one demonic monster of an album ... I wouldn't say they're technically USPM, but close enough. Heavy stuff.

All that comes to mind right now. Anyways, a few daily doses of Ample Destruction is very healthy I'd say. :nods:

Last edited by Xeogred on Wed May 28, 2008 11:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 11:35 pm 

Omen and Shok Paris may have what you're looking for, as well as Liege Lord, Blacksmith, Matthias Steele, Lords of the Crimson Alliance, Oliver Magnum, and Grudge. Also, listen to Xeogred (except for Proud Existence! :p).

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 11:40 pm 

failsafeman wrote:
Omen and Shok Paris may have what you're looking for, as well as Liege Lord, Blacksmith, Matthias Steele, Lords of the Crimson Alliance, Oliver Magnum, and Grudge. Also, listen to Xeogred (except for Proud Existence! :p).

See MJ? (whoa I'm never calling you that again). :lol:

Of those I'm familar with Lords of the Crimson Alliance, Oliver Magnum, and Grudge. Definitely seconding those.

Also, Medieval Steel's 84' EP ... epic stuff.

And what the fuck? I just reviewed their stuff, Glacier! Give their 85' EP and 88' demo a shot. Along with them, Dark Age (US) has an incredible EP (the one s/t EP from 84'). Definitely comparable to Griffin.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 11:43 pm 

Xeogred wrote:
Also, Medieval Steel's 84' EP ... epic stuff.

True that, but actually the 2005 compilation The Dungeon Tapes is better, as it has all the tracks from the EP as well as some later tracks that are just as good if not better (the first couple are 2004 recordings of some older, unreleased tracks, and despite the singer losing his falsetto they're still totally awesome).

~Guest 76452
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 11:50 pm 

Was Zions Abyss mentioned? Anyone who likes 80s (aka real) pm should check them out ASAP.

And one again, anyone who hasn't, should check out that latest Steel Assassin. Its the best thing since sliced bread, IMO.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 12:25 am 

Masked_Jackal wrote:
I've been in a USPM kind of mood for the last two or three days. Even though it seems impossible, I can't survive on listening to Ample Destruction more then a few times a day (weird, I know).

What would be some good material similar to Griffin's Flight of the Griffin, Savage Grace's Master of Disguise or Fates Warning's Night On Bröcken?

Edit: Also, does anyone know why Jim Matheos hates NoB? Seriously, that shit rules.

I'm really new to this USPM thing, but I think Sacred Oath's "A Crystal Vision" may be applicable here? I guess FSM can confirm/deny, but even if its not I'm pretty sure you'll fucking love it.

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 12:45 am 

Jonpo wrote:
Masked_Jackal wrote:

I'm really new to this USPM thing, but I think Sacred Oath's "A Crystal Vision" may be applicable here? I guess FSM can confirm/deny, but even if its not I'm pretty sure you'll fucking love it.

I think his review title makes it pretty clear ... "Excellent USPM". Heh. :P

Indeed, they definitely fit in with these kinds of bands very well. I have to say though, the vocals aren't very good (kind of whiney or something). But hey, I liked Andy Michaud in early Liege Lord (seems like he's a hit or miss for most) so some probably might be fine with Sacred Oath's.

On second thought ... listening to them now, the vocals are not that bad. Though I don't think he's too great with the higher notes (the whiney factor for me).

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 1:01 am 

He's certainly an amateur, but the falsetto doesn't bother me at all. On some tracks, like "The Ferryman's Lair", it totally rules.

Masked_Jackal
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 1:08 am 

Well it looks like I've got a ton of stuff to work through, though it's a bit late right now so I'll get through it tomorrow (no school :metal:).

I'm liking the stuff up on Sacred Oath's myspace so far.
Xeogred wrote:
See MJ? (whoa I'm never calling you that again). :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Ensiferdante
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 1:44 am 

Blind Guardian
HammerFall
Iced Earth
Demons & Wizards
Stratovarius
Sonata Arctica