Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Belial
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 9:19 am 

PureNegativism wrote:
Please suggest Melancholic/Beautiful Death/Doom that will vary to a grind-esque blastbeat tempo. Such as on diSEMBOWELMENT's "Transference in the Peripheral" or Evoken's "Antithesis of Light".

They do this on an Esoteric album, yes? Could someone inform me which one?

I want crushing weight countered by blistering aggression.

Edited as I would really rather my first request fulfilled at this time.

Thank you.

You were already suggested Indesinence and Ataraxie, but you can also try Dusk (US) and Winter. There's also Decomposed who are heavy on the Death Metal side.

As for Esoteric, they have the occasional Death Metal/experimental track here and there on their albums ('At War With the RAce' or 'Only Hate (Baresark)'), but I think you're looking for the album Metamorphogenesis, which starts right away with fast-paced riffs, compared to their older stuff.

PureNegativism
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 9:34 am 

DeathForBlitzkrieg wrote:
Well, the atmospheres of VE and dismbowelment/Evoken couldn't be any more different, but it was worth a try. :lol:

And I don't know why I didn't think of Ereb Altor, since I've been listening to them everyday for two or three weeks straight now and my amazement increases daily. Album of the year? Yes, I think so.

As I said my initial post was flawed.
I look forward to hearing the entire Ereb Altor. It does sound great.
I've found a few more promising bands through "Top 8's" and whatnot.

Belial_ wrote:

I've known of Ataraxie, Dusk, and Winter for sometime now. Initial listen of Decomposed, I would say they are more Death than what I'm looking for.

I believe that is the Esoteric album I was trying to recall.

Thank you.

gigel2006
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 5:32 am 

My turn!
I am looking for really good atmospheric funeral doom (if it's not funeral you could still recommend me some), with deep growls, even with some folk doesn't matter. All that matters to me is to make sense, to go somewhere.
I like Skepticism a lot, Uaral, EA, "as i drown in loveless..." by Mourful congregation, Shape of despair, Draconian, and some Doom:VS (don't like the solos though). I also don't like the raw atmosphere-type bands like: Thergothon, Evoken, etc. or solos in the vein of how Funeral delivers. I don't like Skepticism's Aes as well. I wrote all this to give some description of my tastes.
Since a lot of the bands that people recommend I have listened to over an over or I already know them, here's a continued list of what NOT to recommend me please:
1000 Funerals
Aarni (Finland)
Amaranthine Trampler (UK)
Asunder (US)
Autumnal (Spain)
Comatose Vigil (Russia)
Monolithe (France)
Ahab
Pantheist
Loss
Orom
Longing For Dawn
Mourning Beloveth
Remembrance
Desire
Fungoid Stream
Skumring
Rapture
Consummatum Est
Depressed Mode
Reido
Intaglio
Stone Wings
Mar de Grises
The Knell
Despond
Lacrimas Profundere
or any other band already mentioned in this thread.
I will edit this list since I can't write them all. I will also edit it with the recommendations. I will only quote/reply only if I liked something, because I hate how threads get so big just because of quote/reply.

Last edited by gigel2006 on Thu Jun 12, 2008 2:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 5:35 am 

Not entirely sure if this is what you're after, but you could try F:all. I've been thinking of getting it, too. Read Noktorn's review of it to get a better picture.

Also try Depressed Mode.

EDIT: You already have Depressed Mode in your list. Didn't see that, sorry.
EDIT 2: Yeah, the band is called Reido. :boo: Wow, I think I need to go to bed.

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

Last edited by MikeyC on Thu Jun 12, 2008 6:03 am, edited 2 times in total.
Vulture_Helsing
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 6:01 am 

Slowest doom metal band?

gigel2006
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 6:07 am 

MikeyC wrote:
Not entirely sure if this is what you're after, but you could try F:all. I've been thinking of getting it, too. Read Noktorn's review of it to get a better picture.

Also try Depressed Mode.

EDIT: You already have Depressed Mode in your list. Didn't see that, sorry.
EDIT 2: Yeah, the band is called Reido. :boo: Wow, I think I need to go to bed.

no man, I just edited it, as my post reads. I hate quoting/replying, since it looks like a fukken huge worm.
I did listen to Reido, never heard them before, but I didn't like them, they sounded in the raw, no atmosphere vicinity.

gigel2006
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 6:14 am 

Vulture_Helsing wrote:
Slowest doom metal band?

Drone is not my cup of tea, but probably Sunn O)) or Earth.

Bezerko
Vladimir Poopin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 6:20 am 

gigel2006 wrote:
Vulture_Helsing wrote:
Slowest doom metal band?

Drone is not my cup of tea, but probably Sunn O)) or Earth.

There's slower, though I couldn't name the many bands off my head now.

forthedyingbeautiful
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 7:30 am 

gigel2006 wrote:
My turn!
I am looking for really good atmospheric funeral doom... quote/reply.

Atavist

Crepuscular
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 7:46 am 

I'm totally new to the Doom genre. I've only listened to Drone (which is probably one of my favorite genres). I listened to Draconian the other day, and I liked it, but what really stood out was the death vocals by the guy in Seasons Apart.

Could someone recommend something that sound like Anders Jacobsson from Draconian. I mean, I just want Death metal vocals in my doom, like Novembers Doom. I really only know of those 2 bands. I know this is a broad request. So thank you to all who participate :).

To sum it up:
-Doom metal with Death Vocals (clean vocals can be incorporated)
-Great Atmosphere

On a unrelated note. Why is everyone wanting Funeral Doom? The first few pages are filled with those kind of requests! Yet they all keep wanting more. Look at the first 1 or 2 pages of this thread if you want Funeral Doom!

Foxx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 7:58 am 

Crepuscular wrote:
I'm totally new to the Doom genre. I've only listened to Drone (which is probably one of my favorite genres). I listened to Draconian the other day, and I liked it, but what really stood out was the death vocals by the guy in Seasons Apart.

Could someone recommend something that sound like Anders Jacobsson from Draconian. I mean, I just want Death metal vocals in my doom, like Novembers Doom. I really only know of those 2 bands. I know this is a broad request. So thank you to all who participate :).

To sum it up:
-Great Atmosphere

You're looking for death/doom? Early My Dying Bride is an obvious recommendation.

Balth
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 8:04 am 

Crepuscular wrote:

To sum it up:
-Great Atmosphere

You could try some of the popular and more modern Melodic Death/Doom bands like Swallow The Sun, Rapture and Daylight Dies. They're somewhat different in sound to more traditional Doom bands, but all primarily use death vocals, though some clean vocals are often incorporated (particularly with Swallow The Sun). They're quite atmospheric, though perhaps in a different way to want you mean. Definitely worth checking out anyway, as it's brilliant music you have to experience. I can't imagine any fan of metal disliking those bands.

Belial
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 9:10 am 

gigel2006: have you tried In Somnis? There are clean and hrash vocals, but it's highly atmospheric and there's a very nice folky touch with the flute.
I've mentioned them earlier in this thread though.

What about Lacrimas Profundere's first albums?
Despond is another good band, but it might sound too raw for you.
Some other bands I didn't mention earlier in this thread that could fit your description: Intaglio, Fungoid Stream, Stone Wings, Longing For Dawn, Mar de Grises and The Knell.

I can't think of any other bands that haven't already been mentioned in this thread.

Evil_Obsidian
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 9:21 am 

Links don't work so I've removed them.

Last edited by Evil_Obsidian on Fri Jun 13, 2008 7:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
gigel2006
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 2:17 pm 

Belial_ wrote:
gigel2006: have you tried In Somnis? There are clean and hrash vocals, but it's highly atmospheric and there's a very nice folky touch with the flute.
I've mentioned them earlier in this thread though.

What about Lacrimas Profundere's first albums?
Despond is another good band, but it might sound too raw for you.
Some other bands I didn't mention earlier in this thread that could fit your description: Intaglio, Fungoid Stream, Stone Wings, Longing For Dawn, Mar de Grises and The Knell.

I can't think of any other bands that haven't already been mentioned in this thread.

How could you not see Fungoid Stream and Longing For Dawn already in my list? Since In Somnis was mentioned why mention them again? because that means I either know them, or I checked them out.
The one that I didn't know was The Knell. I checked them out as well, but I found them to be ok, but not what I was looking for.

goatmanejy
Village Idiot

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 3:36 pm 

Can someone give me a list of good bands in all subgenres of doom? I already have some drone doom snad stoner doom, and would like to hear more.

Bezerko wrote:
"You're honour, I do believe that Slayer is fucking awesome. I rest my case."

Crepuscular
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 11:42 pm 

goatmanejy wrote:
Can someone give me a list of good bands in all subgenres of doom? I already have some drone doom snad stoner doom, and would like to hear more.

Jesu - more post-rock, but the doom is noticable. Silver is easily their best album in my opinion.

Nadja - Great band, the Touched (Rerecorded) album is pretty amazing

Esoteric - Kind of a Funeral Doom/Doom/Death, very atmospheric and never bores you...
Unless you're impatient.

Isis - Pretty obvious suggestion. Oceanic is my favorite album by them. Very good atmospheric sludge.

Pelican - Their later stuff is Post-Hardcore, so if you don't mind that...then yeah. Their earlier stuff is much more sludge/drone/doom. Very good stuff..The Fire in Our Throats Will Beckon the Thaw is a great album.

oneyoudontknow
Cum insantientibus furere necesse est.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 5:05 am 

What I am looking for is:
Doom metal with some croaking/smoky vocals, in terms of the tempo rather slow with switches into midtempo, sludge influences would also be cool. The emphasis should lie on doom metal and not on sludge.

I have discovered Herem recently and I like their way of playing doom. Therefore I would like to have something in the same fashion.

My website which contains reviews as well as interviews:
https://adsol.oneyoudontknow.com
My podcast:
https://adsolmag.bandcamp.com/

Evil_Obsidian
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 7:30 am 

The previous links didn't work, so I'll try again:

Anyone looking for some death/doom that hasn't been mentioned yet are welcome to check my band, De Profundis, out at http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu ... d=55211966

Yes, I know I'm a whore, but despite some good reviews, being self-released means nobody knows about the album, or the band.

Doomsday
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 12:53 pm 

oneyoudontknow wrote:
I have discovered Herem recently and I like their way of playing doom.

Great find there. Ace female growler.

CrippledLucifer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 1:11 pm 

This is a dumb question, but anyone knows where the samples from Electric Wizard's album Dopethone (those in Vinum Sabathi, Barbarian and I, the Witchfinder) come from?

oneyoudontknow
Cum insantientibus furere necesse est.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:05 pm 

Doomsday wrote:
oneyoudontknow wrote:
I have discovered Herem recently and I like their way of playing doom.

Great find there. Ace female growler.

She is really good at it... when I listened to the music first I could not believe that it was not a male behind the micro.

My website which contains reviews as well as interviews:
https://adsol.oneyoudontknow.com
My podcast:
https://adsolmag.bandcamp.com/

Doomsday
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:29 pm 

CrippledLucifer wrote:
This is a dumb question, but anyone knows where the samples from Electric Wizard's album Dopethone (those in Vinum Sabathi, Barbarian and I, the Witchfinder) come from?

Not sure about Vinum Sabbathi but the sample in Barbarian is from Conan the Barbarian and I believe the sample in I, the Witchfinder is from Hexen bis aufs Blut gequält (or: Mark of the Devil) from 1970.

goatmanejy
Village Idiot

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 6:06 pm 

Crepuscular wrote:
goatmanejy wrote:

Jesu - more post-rock, but the doom is noticable. Silver is easily their best album in my opinion.

Nadja - Great band, the Touched (Rerecorded) album is pretty amazing

Esoteric - Kind of a Funeral Doom/Doom/Death, very atmospheric and never bores you...
Unless you're impatient.

Isis - Pretty obvious suggestion. Oceanic is my favorite album by them. Very good atmospheric sludge.

Pelican - Their later stuff is Post-Hardcore, so if you don't mind that...then yeah. Their earlier stuff is much more sludge/drone/doom. Very good stuff..The Fire in Our Throats Will Beckon the Thaw is a great album.

Thanks.

Bezerko wrote:
"You're honour, I do believe that Slayer is fucking awesome. I rest my case."

idonnowhy
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 10:53 pm 

Is there any bands out there that are like Therion (not their death metal years) but with a big doom influence?

Basically I'm asking if their is a doomy Therion sounding band with a darker sound (sepcifically a really dark doom varaint of "Wine Of Aluqah" that song is awesome)

thanks

KilluA
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 10:11 pm 

I'm looking for doom metal that isn't pure doom metal like Amorphis' Tales From The Thousand Lake... I find that album to be epic, I also like the keyboard melodies especially in Black Winter Day.

Can anyone recommend any bands in vein of this?

sorry for n00b-ish question, but i have little knowledge of doom metal.

MorbidAtheist
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 12:15 am 

I'm looking for the most depressing, abysmal, miserable doom metal out there. I'm talking bleaker than bleak. Vocals don't matter but preferably heavy(or not, not that important) and of course as slow as Skepticism. Post album names also.

Thanks.

Last edited by MorbidAtheist on Sun Jun 15, 2008 12:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Balth
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 12:22 am 

MorbidAtheist wrote:
I'm looking for the most depressing, abysmal, miserable doom metal out there. I'm talking bleaker than bleak. Vocals don't matter but preferably heavy(or not, not that important) and of course as slow as Skepticism.

Thanks.

Disembowelment.

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 12:29 am 

diSEMBOWELMENT aren't nearly as slow as Skepticism.

Balth
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 12:31 am 

rexxz wrote:

Well, I haven't heard Skepticism so I don't know :P
Disembowelment is very depressing though.

Bezerko
Vladimir Poopin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 12:33 am 

Balth wrote:
rexxz wrote:

Well, I haven't heard Skepticism so I don't know :P
Disembowelment is very depressing though.

diSEMBOWELMENT are awesome, not depressing.

MorbidAtheist
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 12:38 am 

Doesn't have to be that slow. I just like my doom Funeral slow but not Drone slow.

caspian
Old Man Yells at Car Park

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 1:51 am 

Vulture_Helsing wrote:
Slowest doom metal band?

Stijn Van Cauter's Beyond Black Void project and the first release of his Fall of the Grey Winged One is probably the slowest doom thing I've ever heard that is still doom metal- earth has done a few slower tracks but they're more ambient then anything.

You'll most likely be bored silly, though.

https://strangercountry.bandcamp.com/al ... the-chebar new album! Power shoegaze? Dream-doom???

UnserHeiligeTod
Lagompräst

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 2:46 am 

The Ethereal is even slower than Beyond Black Void and Fall of the Grey Winged One.

Burzukur
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 8:30 pm 

I mostly listen to traditional metal, the Big Four, some death metal and am just getting into black metal. Please reccomend some good doom metal for people who are curious about it. Something I could just pick up and start enjoying.

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 8:34 pm 

Burzukur wrote:
I mostly listen to traditional metal, the Big Four, some death metal and am just getting into black metal. Please reccomend some good doom metal for people who are curious about it. Something I could just pick up and start enjoying.

You sound like you're after traditional doom. Probably Reverand Bizarre is an obvious choice, if you don't know of them.

I'm much more into funeral doom, so I can't really help you in more obscure trad doom, sorry.

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

Masked_Jackal
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 8:42 pm 

Witchfinder General, Pagan Altar, Candlemass, Cathedral are all good trad. doom bands as well as the aforementioned Reverend Bizarre.

ScaryMonsters
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 9:00 pm 

Doomsword is good trad. Doom Metal, as is While Heaven Wept.

however for a good mix Autumnal (Esp) is very good.

twophoton
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 9:11 pm 

I'm going to second, third, or fourth the rec for Disembowelment. Essential. However, the best doom album of all time remains Cathedral's Forest of Equilibrium. Nothing will ever surpass that masterpiece.

Belial
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 8:59 am 

Burzukur wrote:

You can try the 'big' bands of each sub-genre and see which one of them you'll like the most.

Here are some:
-Traditional Doom: I'm not really a fan, so you can look for the other recommendations. My favourites are Candlemass and Black Sabbath.
-Death/Doom: Winter, diSEMBOWELMENT, (early) My Dying Bride, (early) Anathema, (early) Paradise Lost, Evoken.
-Black/Doom: (early) Katatonia, (early) Unholy, (early) Bethlehem, Forgotten Tomb, Dolorian, Void of Silence.
-Funeral Doom: Thergothon, Esoteric, Skepticism, (early) Funeral, Worship.
-Gothic/Doom: Silentium, Virgin Black, Saturnus, Cryptal Darkness.
-Drone/Doom: Burning Witch, Earth, Khanate.
-Sludge/Doom: EyeHateGod.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 133  Next