Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Snowgrave
Under The Plaintive Sky

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 10:46 pm 

Indeed. Pretty much every movie starring Christian Bale is guaranteed to be outstanding. Seriously. The only one that wasn't so great was Reign of Fire, but I can forgive him for that...

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 10:47 pm 

I can also agree with that. Every film I've seen starring Bale has been either pretty enjoyable or very great.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 10:50 pm 

Same thing for Edward Norton actually, except for Death to Smoochy, which was just a bad idea all around.

VictimsOfDeception
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 11:11 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
Same thing for Edward Norton actually, except for Death to Smoochy, which was just a bad idea all around.

You didn't laugh at anything in that movie?

Come on! :lol:

Mainly psycho Mr. Williams!

lord_ghengis
Still Standing After 38 Beers... hic

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 11:59 pm 

Empyreal wrote:

I have doubts about the new Hulk... he's in that isn't he?

Belial
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 12:06 am 

Seul Contre Tous (english title: I Stand Alone): 4.75/5

Holy shit! This is how I like french movies, somehow dark and realistic with some well-done violence.

This is Gaspard Noé's first movie ( known for Irréversible), and well... I don't really know what to say about it, except it's one of the best french movies I've seen.
It's basically the story of how a man full of hate and pessimism sees the world, as he has absolutely nothing to start his "new life".

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 7:03 am 

Avaddons_blood wrote:
ANationalAcrobat wrote:
Can we use this for recs? Anyway recommend me some lesser known war films.

Come and See. Its not for everyone though....

I've already seen that, it was superb, I have a particular interest in the Eastern Front and Russia in general. Shame that aspect of the war was rarely documented.

alexanderthegreat
Metal Barbarian Dinosaur

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 7:23 am 

Snowgrave wrote:
Indeed. Pretty much every movie starring Christian Bale is guaranteed to be outstanding. Seriously. The only one that wasn't so great was Reign of Fire, but I can forgive him for that...

I'm positive that the only reason Reign of Fire is so despised is because of the incredibly misleading poster.

See, this gives the impression that the film is a big epic battle between dragons and the world's military, leading to scenes of massive devastation: London burning, Washington in flames, Tokyo smoking and the like. When people are instead given a post-apocalyptic story when all the grand set pieces of cities in flame and massive battles, it looks like a major disappointment.

Apart from the occasional bouts of ludicrousness I thought it was a really interesting, fun film. If they just used a less misleading poster I think it could have been a modest hit like Pitch Black. I really hope they make a prequel showing the scenes of awesome destruction alluded to in the film and illustrated in the poster, maybe offering some explanation as to how the beasties could multiply so insanely fast and defeat the world's military. There's a really cool flick in there.

antzology
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 8:33 am 

One thing I love about Christian Bale is how different he becomes for the film, he just fits roles perfectly. A lot of popular actors seem to play the same (and/or very similar) role in every fuckin' movie.

Just watched 'Be Kind Rewind'... Feelings are a bit mixed tbh, I'm not even sure if I liked it or disliked it... I certainly didn't hate it, heh. I was sorta expecting it to be funny, but it wasn't apart from a few jokes, but it didn't fail at being funny, it just didn't really try. It just seemed like a story.... ehhh I gave it a 6/10, though that may change as I think about it more.

Belial
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 10:14 am 

I think the main reason for people not liking Reign of Fire is the end. How could three people alone kill the big male dragon, in a city full of angry (female) dragons?

I love that movie anyway, only the ending isn't that great, but they made it somewhat believable.

alexanderthegreat
Metal Barbarian Dinosaur

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 11:54 am 

Belial_ wrote:
I think the main reason for people not liking Reign of Fire is the end. How could three people alone kill the big male dragon, in a city full of angry (female) dragons?

Yeah, that bugged me too actually, it was very contrived and daft. I personally like to think that it was all in vain anyway, since it's painfully illogical that there's be only a single male dragon for millions of females. Even in social insects there are a few non-breeding mini-queens ready to take over when the big queen dies: the three months after the male was killed was just a lull between the new alpha male taking over.

Quote:
I love that movie anyway, only the ending isn't that great, but they made it somewhat believable.

I guess I like it because I had been watching its development for a few months before release, the first film I really did that for. Nowadays I follow most films before release, it makes me enjoy it more for some reason.

Call_From_The_Tower
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 12:29 pm 

Empyreal wrote:

Agreed, Ed Norton is actually my favourite actor. Every character he portrays he just seems to add life and depth to. Although, admittedly, I haven't seen Death to Smoochy yet, so I could be mistaken.

And I'm really starting to warm to Christian Bale as well. I loved his role in The Machinist and I thought he was absolutely brilliant in The Prestige. Both of the leads in that movie were great; you never quite new how to feel about either of them. And I have to say, it was his performance that originally made me start liking Batman Begins. When I first saw it, I wasn't really overly impressed, especially compared to Batman, but after a few viewings I really started to love it, largely thanks to Bale.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 1:38 pm 

Call_From_The_Tower wrote:
Empyreal wrote:

Agreed, Ed Norton is actually my favourite actor. Every character he portrays he just seems to add life and depth to. Although, admittedly, I haven't seen Death to Smoochy yet, so I could be mistaken.

Death to Smoochy had a great premise, so I was eager about renting it, only to find a half-assed, confused mixture of comedy with more "vulgar" adult themes, which just didn't work at all. I laughed maybe twice, and both times at Norton's character - without him, the movie would have been pure garbage.

And yeah Batman Begins does rule, although even without Bale, I think it still would've been a 4.5/5 or so.

Cinerary
Fuckin' killed a guy

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 3:51 pm 

The Machine Girl.

Um, two days later, my boxers are still sticky.

Chromillusion
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 6:10 pm 

Belial_ wrote:

I thought I was the only person who liked that movie. Sure it had its flaws, but I absolutely love dragons, so I was bound to like it to some extent. Of course, I would have enjoyed it more if all the humans were massacred by the dragons at the end...

Star-Gazer
Trust and you'll be trusted

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 6:35 pm 

so seriously folks - does anyone have a copy of the last movie thread on their harddrive??!!?
I took for granted that I would be able to reference it and did not save the list of movies I have watched for about 2 months (maybe three!)

lord_ghengis

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 12:19 am 

I guess I'm not at the same level of Christian Bale worship as everyone else here. I didn't like Batman begins at all, bored me to tears. And that other movie where he was meant to suppress emotions or something... forgot what it's called... Equillibrium. That's the one! was kind of stupid. Gun Kata is just moronic, although that other film that it's in with vampires and shit is godawful. American Psycho is fucking brilliant though.

Watched Snatch again last night it was on at like midnight, I love that movie.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 12:30 am 

Jumper - 2.75/5

This is a mess. On one hand it's actually really enjoyable, with some nice scenery and cool action sequences, but on the other hand, we have the fact that it is morally bankrupt, starring a guy who seems to think he's a hero despite having robbed banks, amongst other idiotic qualms. And then we have the ending, which is as lame as they come, a "get ready for the sequel!" ploy that feels like the writers got lazy and just ended it quickly so they could go for another donut break.

I'll be watching the sequel though.

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 12:34 am 

Speaking of Christian Bale, I bought my dad "Rescue Dawn" for father's day. :D

His favorite movie is The Hunt for Red October and he likes war movies, so I'm hoping he'll enjoy it.
the same stone - Primordial, "Heathen Tribes"

alexanderthegreat
Metal Barbarian Dinosaur

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 4:35 am 

Chromillusion wrote:
I thought I was the only person who liked that movie. Sure it had its flaws, but I absolutely love dragons, so I was bound to like it to some extent.

Dragons are great: did you ever see The Flight of Dragons? That's my favourite dragon-related film, Rankin-Bass's dragons have a sort of fierce savagery, as opposed to the D&D "Noble Dragon" thing. The beasties from Dragonslayer and 7th Voyage of Sinbad were also neat.

Quote:
Of course, I would have enjoyed it more if all the humans were massacred by the dragons at the end...

Naturally. I wished Jurassic Park ended with everyone getting eaten.

Call_From_The_Tower
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 4:48 am 

lord_ghengis wrote:
I guess I'm not at the same level of Christian Bale worship as everyone else here. I didn't like Batman begins at all, bored me to tears. American Psycho is fucking brilliant though.

That's what I thought when I first saw BB, but after watching it more times I started to notice how much it fucking ruled. Which it does. American Psycho was the first movie I saw him in and I thought he was fantastic. The scene where he drops the chainsaw on the fleeing hooker made me laugh and disturbed the shit out of me. His demeanour throughout that entire movie and watching him slowly slip more and more into insanity is really unsettling.

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 4:49 am 

alexanderthegreat wrote:
Snowgrave wrote:

I'm positive that the only reason Reign of Fire is so despised is because of the incredibly misleading poster.

(image)

See, this gives the impression that the film is a big epic battle between dragons and the world's military, leading to scenes of massive devastation: London burning, Washington in flames, Tokyo smoking and the like. When people are instead given a post-apocalyptic story when all the grand set pieces of cities in flame and massive battles, it looks like a major disappointment.

Apart from the occasional bouts of ludicrousness I thought it was a really interesting, fun film. If they just used a less misleading poster I think it could have been a modest hit like Pitch Black. I really hope they make a prequel showing the scenes of awesome destruction alluded to in the film and illustrated in the poster, maybe offering some explanation as to how the beasties could multiply so insanely fast and defeat the world's military. There's a really cool flick in there.

I didn't like Reign Of Fire at all, but I saw it because of that poster. Alex has hit the nail on the head, but it was a very disappointing movie. Too much human drama, not enough dragon/human ownage.

Same with Doom. Games are great, but the movie is vomit-worthy. Going into that movie, you would expect the movie to be at least somewhat like the game. No. Not even close.

Upcoming movies I'd like to see are Hancock and Get Smart. I wanted to see The Happening until it got shit on by the critics and the general consensus.

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

lord_ghengis

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 5:23 am 

Call_From_The_Tower wrote:
lord_ghengis wrote:
I guess I'm not at the same level of Christian Bale worship as everyone else here. I didn't like Batman begins at all, bored me to tears. American Psycho is fucking brilliant though.

That's what I thought when I first saw BB, but after watching it more times I started to notice how much it fucking ruled. Which it does. American Psycho was the first movie I saw him in and I thought he was fantastic. The scene where he drops the chainsaw on the fleeing hooker made me laugh and disturbed the shit out of me. His demeanour throughout that entire movie and watching him slowly slip more and more into insanity is really unsettling.

Feed me a stray cat :)

Pity about the whole "but it was all a dream" (close enough) ending, but doesn't overly taint the awesomeness of what proceeded it.

MikeyC wrote:
Same with Doom. Games are great, but the movie is vomit-worthy. Going into that movie, you would expect the movie to be at least somewhat like the game. No. Not even close.

Why the hell did they think that the overdone "It's a virus which turns people into monsters" approach was better than the Satanic themes all through the games?

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 5:35 am 

lord_ghengis wrote:
MikeyC wrote:

Why the hell did they think that the overdone "It's a virus which turns people into monsters" approach was better than the Satanic themes all through the games?

I have no idea. It didn't work, not by a long shot. Plus there were no Revenants, Lost Souls, Mancubi, Arch-Viles...you know, the cool monsters. Apparently a second one is in the making. They had better not fuck it up if they decide to go ahead with it.

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

Cinerary
Fuckin' killed a guy

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 9:07 am 

Incredible Hulk - Very good. Made me cum a little.

The Happening - It was OK. Nothing special.

alexanderthegreat
Metal Barbarian Dinosaur

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 9:10 am 

MikeyC wrote:
I wanted to see The Happening until it got shit on by the critics and the general consensus.

I was never a big fan of Shyamalan or his works, but the sheer conceitedness of the man is nothing short of breathtaking. There's a TV spot for The Happening (can't find it on Youtube) over here where half of it consists of Shyamalan telling an interviewer all about how "It's my scariest movie yet! It's my most shocking twist yet!" and has the balls to then say "Got your attention now?"

Yes you do, Mr. Shyamalan - before now I did not know for certain whether to go see your film. Now I will definitely not.

ikuturiso
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 9:43 am 

The Happening was atrociously bad - I suggest everyone avoids that movie like a cobination of AIDS, herpes and cancer. Some of the worst acting I've seen in a while, absolutely no emotion what so ever, no buildup at all (although I'm only glad that it wasn't any longer than it was) and the plot... oh dear, the plot. I'm starting to think that there barely was any and that they made everything up as they were filming it - failing in every possible way, not to mention the ending seemed like they didn't know how to end it so they just came up with the easiest solution possible.

Ugh, that movie wasn't ok, it wasn't even bad, it was worse. Think I've done my ranting now.

AVOID

lord_ghengis

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 9:54 am 

alexanderthegreat wrote:
MikeyC wrote:
I wanted to see The Happening until it got shit on by the critics and the general consensus.

I was never a big fan of Shyamalan or his works, but the sheer conceitedness of the man is nothing short of breathtaking. There's a TV spot for The Happening (can't find it on Youtube) over here where half of it consists of Shyamalan telling an interviewer all about how "It's my scariest movie yet! It's my most shocking twist yet!" and has the balls to then say "Got your attention now?"

Those aren't ideas Mr Shyamalan, those are twists.

In all seriousness, his obsession with twists over all the content of the films is getting as stupid as the Saw guys' obsession of "check out how gruesome my new trap is".

~Guest 21181
The Great Fearmonger

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 11:36 am 

lord_ghengis wrote:
Pity about the whole "but it was all a dream" (close enough) ending,

What? I don't see that at all.

Last "new" movie I saw was The Mist, which was great. I agree with Stephen King, the ending to the movie was better than the ending to his book.

saintinhell
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 11:43 am 

One for the Aussies - and this place, esp the movie thread - is always teeming with them. :P The Man Who Sued God. Very nice. Bit tacky and has budget production written all over it, but that's nothing to take away from a film I thoroughly enjoyed.

iAmDisturbed
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 2:25 pm 

Rock Star 1/5

This movie is supposed to be based on Tim Ripper Owens' experience with Judas Priest. Good story, so why did i hate it.
I'll tell ya. The cheesy music for one and the fact that Mark Wahlberg made one sissy looking bad voiced motherfucking singer.
That scene in the church where he belts out HALLELUJAHHHHHHHHHH made me clutch my balls.
Zakk Wylde plays one of the guitarists in Steel Dragon(the name of the fictionalized band) and he barely says anything.
The soundtrack is also trashy. Some AC/DC song at their annoying repititive best plays as does Def fucking Leppard and Motley whoring Crue's ugly anthem "Wild Side".

Jason Flemyng who put in a good appearance in the movie adaptation of "Tess Of The D'Urbervilles" plays the role of Bobby Beers the singer kicked from the band who also happens to be gay.
He is funny in his outrageous tirade when the other guys fire him.

Oh and the ending was really bleed-shitty.
Jen Aniston looked really hot throughout though. :smile:

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 2:45 pm 

I thought that rock star film was by some distance the best thing that Ripper Owens has been involved in! It was light weight hollywood stuff sure but an ok watch. I did cringe when they put a harmonic squeal in Long Live Rock 'n' Roll, Ritchie Blackmore is not a cretin and as such would not do such a thing. This is why Zakk Wylde is for people who let guitar magazines dictate their taste in music.

The_Boss
Set Abominae

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 2:52 pm 

I guess I'm the only one who dislikes Christian Bale. I find him so annoying.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 2:54 pm 

The_Boss wrote:

Really? How?

I'm honestly curious about this one.

iAmDisturbed
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 3:00 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
The_Boss wrote:

Really? How?

I'm honestly curious about this one.

Yeah me too.

I really liked "Equilibrium" and his role in "Shaft" but "Prestige" even more.

Chromillusion
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 3:00 pm 

alexanderthegreat wrote:
Chromillusion wrote:
I thought I was the only person who liked that movie. Sure it had its flaws, but I absolutely love dragons, so I was bound to like it to some extent.

Dragons are great: did you ever see The Flight of Dragons? That's my favourite dragon-related film, Rankin-Bass's dragons have a sort of fierce savagery, as opposed to the D&D "Noble Dragon" thing. The beasties from Dragonslayer and 7th Voyage of Sinbad were also neat.

Quote:
Of course, I would have enjoyed it more if all the humans were massacred by the dragons at the end...

Naturally. I wished Jurassic Park ended with everyone getting eaten.

I have never seen The Flight of Dragons, but I will be sure to check it out.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 4:30 pm 

The Butterfly Effect 2 - 3/5

A film almost as bland as its name. This is not a bad movie at all, but it doesn't do much that the first one didn't, and it packs less of an emotional punch than that one did. It's also a lot shorter, too, and it ends right when you're starting to get into it. What the fuck?

All in all, not bad, but you won't miss much if you skip it. Passable.

Snowgrave
Under The Plaintive Sky

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 4:44 pm 

Empyreal wrote:

A film almost as bland as its name. This is not a bad movie at all, but it doesn't do much that the first one didn't, and it packs less of an emotional punch than that one did. It's also a lot shorter, too, and it ends right when you're starting to get into it. What the fuck?

Hmmm, well despite The Butterfly Effect being among my favorite movies, I was never inclined to see the second one, mainly because it was straight to DVD. Anything straight to DVD can't be great, right? :ugh:

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 4:45 pm 

Snowgrave wrote:
Empyreal wrote:

Hmmm, well despite The Butterfly Effect being among my favorite movies, I was never inclined to see the second one, mainly because it was straight to DVD. Anything straight to DVD can't be great: ugh:

If it was one of your favorite movies, you might like the second one way more than I did, because it isn't like they're a whole lot different. :p

Snowgrave
Under The Plaintive Sky

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 4:49 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
Snowgrave wrote:
Empyreal wrote:

Hmmm, well despite The Butterfly Effect being among my favorite movies, I was never inclined to see the second one, mainly because it was straight to DVD. Anything straight to DVD can't be great: ugh:

If it was one of your favorite movies, you might like the second one way more than I did, because it isn't like they're a whole lot different. :p

Haha, well then I might just have to watch it for the hell of it.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 818  Next