Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Underkill
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 1:34 pm 

I recommend Cianide's first two albums, Confessor, diSEMBOWELMENT, Sorrow, Winter and Unholy's first two albums :headbang:

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 4:48 pm 

Can anyone recommand me realy emotional Doom metal? i don't mind what kind of doom (either it's just doom, death/doom or black/doom, no other sub genres please!) but realy emotional, especially sorrowful, but even if it would sound agressive (wich i doubt :p) i wouldn't mind.

Note; the vocalist must sound emotional, this is very important, atleast for me it is. Take My dying bride's first album for example, i don't know if it was suppose to sound sad, but it didn't. Especially due to the vocals wich don't sound sad, while on the other hand, albums like ''Dance of december souls'' by Katatonia had an emotional growler. (If the band/album doesn't contain emotional vocals, DON'T RECOMMAND IT!)

Oh, lyrics must be in english and i don't mind production, thanks! :)

Doomsday
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 4:59 pm 

colin040 wrote:
Can anyone recommand me realy emotional Doom metal?

Warning - Watching from a Distance if you're in it for the vocals.

doomlover
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 5:08 pm 

i think you'd enjoy the last Solitude Aeturnus album

peacefrog36
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 5:08 pm 

does anybody know any good doom bands with like a pentagram type singer but like a faster thrashier guitar?

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 5:10 pm 

Doomsday wrote:
colin040 wrote:
Can anyone recommand me realy emotional Doom metal?

Warning - Watching from a Distance if you're in it for the vocals.

Thanks! will check it out

RaudtOgSvart
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 7:14 pm 

colin040 wrote:
Can anyone recommand me realy emotional Doom metal? i don't mind what kind of doom (either it's just doom, death/doom or black/doom, no other sub genres please!) but realy emotional, especially sorrowful, but even if it would sound agressive (wich i doubt :p) i wouldn't mind.

Note; the vocalist must sound emotional, this is very important, atleast for me it is. Take My dying bride's first album for example, i don't know if it was suppose to sound sad, but it didn't. Especially due to the vocals wich don't sound sad, while on the other hand, albums like ''Dance of december souls'' by Katatonia had an emotional growler. (If the band/album doesn't contain emotional vocals, DON'T RECOMMAND IT!)

While Heaven Wept sounds perfect for you.

EDIT: So does Forest Of Shadows.

Doomsday
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 7:45 pm 

peacefrog36 wrote:
does anybody know any good doom bands with like a pentagram type singer but like a faster thrashier guitar?

No, there is only one Bobby.

giventotherising
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 8:59 pm 

Trouble? Ha.

Catachthonian
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 7:52 am 

Wra1th1s wrote:
Hello, I recently got into doom metal (shame on me!) and I'm looking for more stuff like Trouble, Witchfinder General, Cathedral, basically anything that reminds me of Sabbath. Thanks in advance!

It's been mentioned earlier, but... listen to COUNT RAVEN! Their vocalist sounds exactly like Ozzy, the music is very similar to early Sabbath too.

peacefrog36
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 2:27 pm 

Doomsday wrote:
peacefrog36 wrote:

No, there is only one Bobby.

damn i thought that might happen well what about some doom with the thashier guitar but like a traditional clean singer none of this high shreiks or uber low death growl shit

Doomsday
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 5:41 pm 

peacefrog36 wrote:
damn i thought that might happen well what about some doom with the thashier guitar but like a traditional clean singer none of this high shreiks or uber low death growl shit

I'm not really sure what you mean by "thrashy guitars" but as someone already mentioned perhaps early Trouble is what you're looking for. Try their debut Psalm 9.

avrlabel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 3:23 am 

Can someone recommend to me a bands similiar to Necro Schizma?

Mike_64
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 8:39 pm 

could someone recommend me some SLOW doom metal with heavy ten ton riffs?

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 8:58 pm 

Mike_64 wrote:

Comatose Vigil - Not A Gleam Of Hope. That may be what you're looking for.

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

Weerwolf
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 3:56 am 

What are people's thoughts on the latest Mar de Grises (Draining the Waterheart)?

Im now really starting to like it A LOT. They create absolute stunning soundscapes, even better than on their debut and that one was already completely out of this world. This is certainly a candidate for best album of 2008. Their gig here was also HIGHLY memorable and I don't think I will see a lot this year that will beat their performance. I hope so, but I doubt it. These guys are very good with their live performance.

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 4:02 am 

I haven't heard any of it, as far as I'm aware. I should give it a go.

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

Weerwolf
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 4:11 am 

MikeyC wrote:
I haven't heard any of it, as far as I'm aware. I should give it a go.

Start with The Tatterdemalion Express if you don't know that one. It's more accessible, but it will take some time before you have gotten used to it. At least that was the case with me and now again with their second album, but very rewarding in the end :)

Bart
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 4:13 pm 

Any bands similar to Wormphlegm, Black Bile or Senthil? Just looking for the most hateful and extreme torture doom imaginable.

foz45139
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 4:21 pm 

Mike_64 wrote:

Ahab.

I'm not even a huge doom fan, but I had heard about them and thought I'd check them out. Pretty fucking slow.
Once I was done throwing up I had to take another shit. Again it was diarrhea! While diarrhea was coming out of my ass I began to throw up. This fucking sucked! If only I had some Disgorge playing it might not have sucked ass much.

Weerwolf
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 4:29 pm 

Bart wrote:
Any bands similar to Wormphlegm, Black Bile or Senthil? Just looking for the most hateful and extreme torture doom imaginable.

Well it doesn't really get a lot more extreme than those. Perhaps you should try Anhédonie (Ataraxie), even though it's not as extreme as Worm or Senthil, it kinda fits the bill.

Belial
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 10:13 pm 

Bart wrote:

Woods of Belial (the 'Baxabaxaxaxaxabaxaxaxaxa! 666 Yndstr Draconis' demo).
Funeralium, side project of Ataraxie members.
Esoteric, not of the same 'torturous' type but still worth trying for something really extreme.
Stabat Mater, the track Give Them Pain from the split with Worship.
Maybe Worship too, especially the track 'I Am the End - Crucifixion Part II' from their latest album Dooom.
Khanate and Burning Witch.
And maybe Vonn, though their description of 'the most extreme doom band around' (or something like that) is far from being accurate.

Bart
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 4:17 am 

Belial_ wrote:
Bart wrote:

Esoteric, not of the same 'torturous' type but still worth trying for something really extreme.
Maybe Worship too, especially the track 'I Am the End - Crucifixion Part II' from their latest album Dooom.
And maybe Vonn, though their description of 'the most extreme doom band around' (or something like that) is far from being accurate.

Esoteric is easily my favourite extreme funeral doom band. Their psychodelic soundscapes are making me sweat. It's the shame Khanate is decesead - I especially enjoy their self-titled debut. The final track "No Joy" always creeps me out. I can tell the same about Burning Witch. "Dooom" by Worship is great. I have heard Vonn and frankly it bored me. On the other hand Funeralium is fantastic in creating truly sick and depressive atmosphere. The term suicidal doom is perfect to describe the terrifying music on their self-titled debut.

Thanks for Woods of Belial and Stabat Mater recommendations.

Solution7
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 5:19 am 

MikeyC wrote:
Mike_64 wrote:

Comatose Vigil - Not A Gleam Of Hope. That may be what you're looking for.

You could Try Swallow The Sun

Belial
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 6:14 am 

Bart wrote:
Belial_ wrote:
Bart wrote:

Esoteric is easily my favourite extreme funeral doom band. Their psychodelic soundscapes are making me sweat. It's the shame Khanate is decesead - I especially enjoy their self-titled debut. The final track "No Joy" always creeps me out. I can tell the same about Burning Witch. "Dooom" by Worship is great. I have heard Vonn and frankly it bored me. On the other hand Funeralium is fantastic in creating truly sick and depressive atmosphere. The term suicidal doom is perfect to describe the terrifying music on their self-titled debut.

Thanks for Woods of Belial and Stabat Mater recommendations.

Same here, especially with Vonn and Khanate. I expected something even more 'extreme' than the bands mentioned here when I read that description, but it was nowhere near that, and I found it rather boring.

Another band I'd recommend is Dictator from Cyprus. I can't really remember their music, but I remember there being some of those 'tortured' vocals.

StryckenFromHistory
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 4:58 pm 

Are there any sludge or (heavier) doom bands that utilize very harsh vocals, a la Iron Monkey, Fleshpress, or Eyehategod? Preferably nothing within the funeral or drone range of doom.

I already listen to Khanate, Burning Witch, and Graves at Sea.

twophoton
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 5:04 pm 

StryckenFromHistory wrote:
Are there any sludge or (heavier) doom bands that utilize very harsh vocals, a la Iron Monkey, Fleshpress, or Eyehategod? Preferably nothing within the funeral or drone range of doom.

You may like Bloody Panda, sort of like Burning Witch with female Japanese vocalist. Pretty heavy stuff.

StryckenFromHistory
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 5:07 pm 

twophoton wrote:
You may like Bloody Panda, sort of like Burning Witch with female Japanese vocalist. Pretty heavy stuff.

Yeah, I've got their LP and I listen to Monarch(Fra) too.

caspian
Old Man Yells at Car Park

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 9:35 pm 

Sourvein might be your kind of thing.

Monarch are terrible, guys :(

https://strangercountry.bandcamp.com/al ... the-chebar new album! Power shoegaze? Dream-doom???

StryckenFromHistory
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 9:40 pm 

caspian wrote:
Sourvein might be your kind of thing.

Monarch are terrible, guys :(

Hehe I already listen to Sourvein, quite alot I may add. Dystopia also. I have the Dead Man Tell No Tales album by Monarch and it was rather good.

stoli_
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 3:16 am 

colin040 wrote:

I like vocals on "Born Too Late" and I think at least the song "Dying Inside" has... well, very emotional vocals ;] Of course, assuming that you don't know Saint Vitus...

Belial
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 1:27 pm 

Try Malasangre.

TadGhostal
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 2:52 pm 

Have you tried Grief?

josephatx
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 4:03 pm 

I really do not have the time right at the moment to go through this whole thread, but I plan to when I do have some time to kill.

I just recently started getting in to doom and need some recommendations as my knowledge in this genre is extremely narrow.

I find that I generally like Stoner and Funeral Doom the best (funeral since I mainly listen to black metal), but have an open mind to whatever.

Some recent favorites are Candlemass, Electric Wizard, Esoteric, Swallow the Sun (though there is arguement over them actually being doom), The Lust I Seek, and Ahab.

Belial
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 4:14 pm 

josephatx wrote:
I really do not have the time right at the moment to go through this whole thread, but I plan to when I do have some time to kill.

I just recently started getting in to doom and need some recommendations as my knowledge in this genre is extremely narrow.

I find that I generally like Stoner and Funeral Doom the best (funeral since I mainly listen to black metal), but have an open mind to whatever.

Some recent favorites are Candlemass, Electric Wizard, Esoteric, Swallow the Sun (though there is arguement over them actually being doom), The Lust I Seek, and Ahab.

Take a look at this post, it might help you a little bit.

avrlabel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 5:07 pm 

avrlabel wrote:

StryckenFromHistory
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 9:03 pm 

TadGhostal wrote:
Have you tried Grief?
Yeah, I listen to them alot along with Toadliquor and the ilk.

Belial_ wrote:
Try Malasangre.
That was really good, I'll have to pick this up.

Belial
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 9:49 pm 

avrlabel wrote:
avrlabel wrote:

I don't know them, are there any other similar bands? Or at least, try to give a small description about them, to see if I can help you with that.

SiameseDream
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 3:50 pm 

Cathedral, Electric Wizard, Orange Goblin, High On Fire, diSEMBOWELMENT, Candlemass, all really good Doom bands.

eViLbOrIs
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 2:41 am 

Haven't seen anyone mention YOB yet. Some really good sludgy doom...I guess you could call it progressive, as far as sludge is concerned. Uber heavy, cool vocals.

Wijlen Wij has been mentioned already, but they are worth mentioning again. Best funeral doom release since Pantheist's Amartia, methinks.

For those folks looking for something in the vein of Electric Wizard, try Rameses, obviously. It's Electric Wizard without actually being Electric Wizard. Also perhaps look into the band Warhorse, in whom similarities to the Wizard abound.

Canaan is a great band who aren't really doom, but their aesthetic should strongly appeal to anyone into the Peaceville Three + the Swedish Peaceville step-sibling, Katatonia.

Thee Plague of Gentlemen (who are now taking care of business under the moniker of Serpentcult) are a splendid pure doom band whose riffs are so heavy that they at times make Iommi and Sabbath sound like Men Without Hats.

The Knell, from Jerusalem, Israel, play doom/death of an extremely slow and delightfully painful variety, often toeing the funereal line but never quite crossing it.

'Ada', by Wraith of the Ropes is some of the most depressing, effed up music I've ever heard. Worth checking out. The adventurous should try it with the lights out, and a candle to read the lyrics by.

Obligatory plug for Anathema's 'The Silent Enigma'.

That's all I know.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 133  Next